BANGKOK 20 March 2019 14:35

Anybody that knows if there is any legal requirements to consider when painting your own house in Thailand? We own our house and lease the land from a company. The house is situated inside a gated community. We have chosen to paint our house in a different color than the original uggly one. Now the landowner, i.e the company claims that we are not allowed to paint the house any different then the original color and referes to Thia laws and regulations. Can this be correct? Who should I talk to?

8 minutes ago, Shovel78 said:

Who should I talk to?

the person who sold you "your" house and did not tell you about the regulations of the community you live in.

10 minutes ago, Shovel78 said:

referes to Thia laws and regulations. Can this be correct?

yes. do you have a copy? translated?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shovel78 said:

Who should I talk to?

get the by laws of your community and have them translated.

• Like 1

Ahhhh..the painful woes of living in a gated community with HOA (Home Owners Association) rules, policies and limitations. Best to go talk to whoever runs the community. They must have an office. Its likely you can't do much, if anything to your house, other than just live in it. 

Edited by JAFO

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

yes. do you have a copy? translated?

Translated it says:

"Repainting of houses should be done in the same color as it had from the beginning.
We hope that everyone has an understanding of this, as Company X must follow Thai laws and regulations."

It is that statement "Thai laws and regulations" I am interested in. Do the Thai law really stipulate what colors a house in a gated community should or should not have? Personally I dont give a <deleted> what the land owner/company says as long as I dont break the law.

Edited by Shovel78
Missed out text

What does own your house mean? Do u have a usufruct, what's the legal setup of all this?

If you would legally own it you can change it.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

What does own your house mean? Do u have a usufruct, what's the legal setup of all this?

If you would legally own it you can change it.

The house is registred on me at the Land office as well as the land lease.

Was the building permit on your name?
Do you have a lease for the house or usufruct for the whole plot before the house was on it?

Seems to me u might have just leased an existing house/land for 30 years and u don't really "own" it.

It's one of these pseudo thai structures they sell to farrangs but are not a good setup ;-/ normally u would register a usufruct or superficies in your name on the chanote and then get a building permit in ur name, aftee that u hire the builder to build a house...

In these prepackaged deals however what they call ownership is not really an ownership.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Do you have a lease for the house or usufruct for the whole plot before the house was on it?

Seems to me u might have just leased an existing house/land for 30 years and u don't really "own" it.

It's one of these pseudo thai structures they sell to farrangs but are not a good setup ;-/ normally u would register a usufruct or superficies in your name on the chanote and then get a building permit in ur name, aftee that u hire the builder to build a house...

In these prepackaged deals however what they call ownership is not really an ownership.

it's a "leaseship"" and not much he can do besides obey by the rules and regulations of the community

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

All irelevent, op has already stated the committee states same colour must be used, he has his answer 

• Like 2

Sometimes it’s a blessing you cannot paint a different colour !!

My house ( okay, my gf’s ) is painted the colour scheme of the moobahn we live in , brown and cream with a couple of lime green wooden panels !!

I plan to paint the house later this year and will stick to the colour scheme ( sort of ) except I will paint over the green with brown or cream.

I’m sure there’s no problem in my case as one guy has painted his pink and lime green !!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If you read my other text I explain that the house is registred in my name at the Land Office. The land lease is also registred in my name at the Land Office. I have the stamped documents with this info from the Land Office. 

Now, I know that many forum members love to discuss others land/house ownerships etc. but that was not my question if I own the house or not. I know that I own my house.

My question was if there is anything in the Thai law book stating that I am not allowed to paint my house in a different color than the original? I dont care what the community/company owners say and what "rule" they might have. I am only interested in what the Thai law stipulates in this case?

In similar situations in the west. There are even community regulations that limit the colour you can display with the curtains/drapes closed, to white.

Cannot hang laundry outside . etc, etc...

I suggest the OP simply paints the house the same colour or as close as he can get.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Shovel78 said:

Translated it says:

"Repainting of houses should be done in the same color as it had from the beginning.
We hope that everyone has an understanding of this, as Company X must follow Thai laws and regulations."

It is that statement "Thai laws and regulations" I am interested in. Do the Thai law really stipulate what colors a house in a gated community should or should not have? Personally I dont give a <deleted> what the land owner/company says as long as I dont break the law.

"Translated it says:

"Repainting of houses should be done in the same color as it had from the beginning".

If that's one of the lease conditions then surely it's a condition that leaseholders have to abide by?   If the conditions have been agreed to then the reasons for it are irrelevant, as is what the law says.

• Like 1