Help Me Im starving

Nyezhov

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What do you guys do about "hunger pains"? embrace and ignore? or always fill the hole with something?

Ignore. Easier to do if you drink plenty of water. Anyway, I know I'll feel bad later if I give in to temptation.

Earlier I mentioned Apple Cider Vinegar. It's something you need to read up if you want to try it, as it's not for everyone. If you are on any medication e.g. for diabetes, consult your doctor first.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a sizzler near by? Skip breakfast and a couple eggs for lunch then go to town on the salad bar.. Tom yum chicken and the cheddar cheese which is super low carb and healthy salad only drizzled with olive oil and vinegar

Greta value at 150 baht?

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

What do you guys do when feeling hungry? embrace and ignore? or always fill the hole with something?

Drink a litre of water, or if I'm feeling really wicked, a cup of black coffee.

The things to note is that hunger pangs come from the brain, not the stomach. It's simply conditioning that says you should be eating, not actual physical hunger.

One of the good things about fasting is that you learn to tell the difference between your brain complaining that it's not getting the food it expects, and your stomach saying that it is genuinely short of nutrition.

If you do longer water fasts (more than 3 days), hunger pangs disappear entirely, as the brain stops complaining. People have gone extraordinary lengths of time without eating, and suffered no ill consequences.

14 hours ago, Nyezhov said:
14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just eat what you like to eat and enjoy life!

sheraton-grande-12.jpg

Thats what kills me here. Ill take the BTS to BNH tomorrow to see the Doc, get off at Sala Daeng and walk past Yamizaki, bread King, Donut Land, Fat Pills Here, Mr. Lard Bakery......

The picture above is from Sunday Jazzy Brunch in the Sheraton hotel in Sukumvit Road. It shows maybe 1% or the total buffet. And then there is of course free flow. ???? 

About the health issue (eating, smoking, whatever) I like the quote from Jack Nightingale in Stephen Leather's novels:

‘But smoking shortens your life.’
‘Maybe. But it only takes the years from the end of your life. Not the beginning or the middle.’
Jenny looked at him, confused. ‘I have absolutely no idea what you mean.’
Nightingale took another drag on his cigarette before continuing. ‘Say I live until I’m seventy-five without smoking. And say I die at seventy if I do smoke. I lose five years. But really, Jenny, what am I going to be doing during those five years? Sitting in a bedsit somewhere watching the football, assuming I’ve enough of a pension to be able to afford Sky Sport?’

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The picture above is from Sunday Jazzy Brunch in the Sheraton hotel in Sukumvit Road. It shows maybe 1% or the total buffet. And then there is of course free flow. ???? 

About the health issue (eating, smoking, whatever) I like the quote from Jack Nightingale in Stephen Leather's novels:

‘But smoking shortens your life.’
‘Maybe. But it only takes the years from the end of your life. Not the beginning or the middle.’
Jenny looked at him, confused. ‘I have absolutely no idea what you mean.’
Nightingale took another drag on his cigarette before continuing. ‘Say I live until I’m seventy-five without smoking. And say I die at seventy if I do smoke. I lose five years. But really, Jenny, what am I going to be doing during those five years? Sitting in a bedsit somewhere watching the football, assuming I’ve enough of a pension to be able to afford Sky Sport?’

I can't say I disagree with the philosophy....if I was 40 again. But 63 is the new 21!

My BP is 137/64, and I lost 2.6 kilos in a week. Most of that I'm sure was sugar bloat. The nutrition girls are brutal little smiling Hitler's and want me know more than 1500 k a day...but I am falang...no, falang too big, you must eat like Thai better for you.

My Japanese ex used to say the same thing too

17 hours ago, RickBradford said:

From personal experience, I know that I don't feel woozy or get indigestion by skipping breakfast. Any hunger pangs at around 8am are simply conditioning; the brain expects food at that hour and complains when it doesn't get it.  A litre of water takes care of that.

We've all heard the slogan "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." That originated in a 1944 advertising campaign by General Foods for a cereal called Grape Nuts.

Only eating between 8am and 4pm may work for some, the principle is exactly the same. I just find that it's easier the other way; when I wake up I have already gone 10 or 11 hours without eating, and to extend that a bit further is no effort.

Fasting works rather like exercise; tough when you first start doing it, but gets easier with regular practice.

Statistics showed that airline pilots and professional drivers that ate breakfast had less accidents. I could sort out my employees (construction) into three groups: breakfast, no breakfast and a fag, 6 pack beer before starting. Guess which ones were most useful?

Keto was mentioned at the beginning of this thread and of course, as usual, has been ignored. At least nobody scoffed at it. 

Basically, you reduce the daily carbohydrate total in your diet to below 20 gm. One slice toast = 13 gm.

Sounds difficult but many have managed. This means no sugar, beer, bread, rice, potatoes and a lot of other stuff most of us crave(-d in my case). After a while your body goes into ketosis, and starts to convert body fat into the glucose instead of drawing on quick sugar fixes that your body tells you you need. 

The keto diet satiates hunger even though you will finish up eating less calories, losing weight and lowering blood pressure, bad cholesterol and blood sugar levels. I no longer take blood pressure meds, lost 10 Kg (BMI 25.1 > 23) and feel smugly pleased with myself, I also started running, managing a mile a day without fail at the age of 71, 4 months in.

Please google it or maybe read https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/2/133 by Tim Noakes who is an eminent doctor and dietitian. Plenty of stuff on Youtube, plenty of ignorant comments also. 

@Spidey, Doc gave me a beta blocker, told me I was doing great and to listen to his dietician girls.

I have to drink this Betagro stuff, plant phenols.

All they want me to do right now is continue what I am doing and see how much I lost in three weeks when I go back for labs.

I walked 2 miles and fasted till 1pm (except for 4oz of Mandarin Orange juice with my meds and a Soy Latte). Then a stir fry for lunch and chill till dinner.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Keto was mentioned at the beginning of this thread and of course, as usual, has been ignored. At least nobody scoffed at it. 

Basically, you reduce the daily carbohydrate total in your diet to below 20 gm. One slice toast = 13 gm.

Sounds difficult but many have managed. This means no sugar, beer, bread, rice, potatoes and a lot of other stuff most of us crave(-d in my case). After a while your body goes into ketosis, and starts to convert body fat into the glucose instead of drawing on quick sugar fixes that your body tells you you need. 

The keto diet satiates hunger even though you will finish up eating less calories, losing weight and lowering blood pressure, bad cholesterol and blood sugar levels. I no longer take blood pressure meds, lost 10 Kg (BMI 25.1 > 23) and feel smugly pleased with myself, I also started running, managing a mile a day without fail at the age of 71, 4 months in.

Please google it or maybe read https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/2/133 by Tim Noakes who is an eminent doctor and dietitian. Plenty of stuff on Youtube, plenty of ignorant comments also. 

Completely agree. People mock it or ignore it because it sounds too hard or flies against conventional "wisdom".
The OP refers to meeting with his cardiologist, so it sound like a heart problem.
I found out I had atherosclerosis about eighteen months ago. My cardiologist had no interest in nutrition (which is strange given that these problems are overwhelmingly caused by poor nutrition), instead prescribing statins. A couple of days of research and I ditched the statins and moved to a keto diet. First two weeks were tough, after that it was easy, although I still miss some things I can no longer eat; but I would rather be healthy than indulge. Also do fasting every day, lift weights, get plenty of sleep and avoid stress. Planning a calcium scan soon to see if I have stalled the progression of the disease, but meantime I feel better than I have in years.  Will never go back to eating high carbs.
Other useful resources are Ivor Cummins, Dave Feldman and Thomas Delauer.

24 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

The OP refers to meeting with his cardiologist, so it sound like a heart problem.

I had a NSTEMI at 90% in the Widowmaker Artery and a stent to cure it. My fabulous cardiologist and his team of smiling cute food Nazis have given me my instructions, so at this point, for me, no Keto.

Hell I paid him $80 today for a EKG, Cardiac Consult and Nurtition screening, as well as one script. Thats a $400 bill in the USA. So I got to listen to get my moneys worth. 

52 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I that supposed to be a joke?

not at all, it's a homemade comfort bowl of broth rich in flavors ( passed from the ingrédients to the soup after a long cooking process - when cooled, you also can remove all the fat solidified on the surface). 

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I had a NSTEMI at 90% in the Widowmaker Artery and a stent to cure it. My fabulous cardiologist and his team of smiling cute food Nazis have given me my instructions, so at this point, for me, no Keto.

Hell I paid him $80 today for a EKG, Cardiac Consult and Nurtition screening, as well as one script. Thats a $400 bill in the USA. So I got to listen to get my moneys worth. 

Stents are a scam, research has shown that they do not reduce mortality. I saw one video with a doctor showing a tattoo  on his chest: NO stents. I WILL sue. For the case that he had a heart attack.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041108013032.htm

Keto is having a hard time convincing doctors and nutritionists, one reason that they would lose money if people cured themselves just by changing their diet. They get little instruction on nutrition at school and cure symptoms (cholesterol, blood pressure etc) rather than the cause, Bad diet is a major cause of a wide range of diseases, even Alzheimers is under suspicion.

I do wish the OP well and realise that he has already gone down the path of "conventional" medicine, so not so easy to turn back. However, reduce those carbs! Good luck.

2 minutes ago, cooked said:

Stents are a scam, research has shown that they do not reduce mortality.

Really? What was going to get the blood flow going to my heart immediately? A diet?

Perhaps you are confusing stable angina with NSTEMI or STEMIs.

Your post sounds like something I say from that silly actress with Vaginal cures. Ill take the advice of Drs and dieticians, thanks.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:
14 minutes ago, cooked said:

Stents are a scam, research has shown that they do not reduce mortality.

Really? What was going to get the blood flow going to my heart immediately? A diet?

Your post sounds like something I say from that silly actress with Vaginal cures. Ill take the advice of Drs and dieticians, thanks.

It seems stents are no long term solution.

I was with a friend in Bumrungrad Hospital a couple of years ago and they discussed if he should have a stent or a bypass. The summary was basically the following: When they do the stent operation a bypass team has to be on stand-by - that gives an idea about the risk. And then a stent is good for a couple of years, and then maybe another stent, but at the end it's always the bypass.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I was with a friend in Bumrungrad Hospital a couple of years ago and they discussed if he should have a stent or a bypass. The summary was basically the following: When they do the stent operation a bypass team has to be on stand-by - that gives an idea about the risk. And then a stent is good for a couple of years, and then maybe another stent, but at the end it's always the bypass.

Not true. The majority of people who get stents do not end up getting a bypass.

Multiple factors go into the decision of stent vs bypass. Generally if there is multiple vessel disease bypass is preferred provided the patient is a good surgical candidate e.g. no unusual risk factors for the surgery. Stents are generally preferred for single vessel disease and often but not always for 2 vessel disease.

Patient preference also plays a role. Bypass surgery is highly invasive and no picnic to go through.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Stents have changed over the past couple years. besides, the problem with stents are that people think that they are cured and don't have to change their lifestyle. stents are not going to work very well if folks continue to smoke, and stuff wads of saturated fat and other unhealthy stuff into their greasy gobs w while continuing to walk around  with more rolls than a deli

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Not true. The majority of people who get stents do not end up getting a bypass.

Multiple factors go into the decision of stent vs bypass. Generally if there is multiple vessel disease bypass is preferred provided the patient is a good surgical candidate e.g. no unusual risk factors for the surgery. Stents are generally preferred for single vessel disease and often but not always for 2 vessel disease.

Patient preference also plays a role. Bypass surgery is highly invasive and no picnic to go through.

My dad had a single stent. He dropped 50 lb and played golf for like two years, and then began stuffing his face with anything he could find. 6 years later he had a triple bypass. Still never bothered losing weight, and died about 6 years later. I don't want a bypass. I didn't even like the stent. 

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

It's not me inventing stuff, it's an established fact. When the risks of having a stent are explained to patients properly, a much larger percentage of them refuse. The risks aren't explained to them properly. 

Stents can be of use in an emergency situation but not as a cure of CV problems.

32 minutes ago, cooked said:

Stents are a scam, research has shown that they do not reduce mortality. I saw one video with a doctor showing a tattoo  on his chest: NO stents. I WILL sue. For the case that he had a heart attack.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041108013032.htm

Complete nonsense. I had 3 M.I.s in 4 hours. I was close to death and felt so. Had my stent fitted and felt like a different person within minutes. So much so that I asked if I could go home.

Have had regular checkups since and have had zero problems with my heart.

Absolutely no doubt that it saved my life.

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

The risks aren't explained to them properly

The risks were explained to me just fine. if you're not heavily blocked, you get the balloon and change your lifestyle. if you are heavily blocked, the balloon and changing lifestyle is not going to ensure that you stay alive. If we put a stent in you'll probably live to change your lifestyle. I'll take those odds.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Absolutely no doubt that it saved my life

How long have you been making the world miserable since that operation? You change your lifestyle at all? Think you would have lived by telling the doc hey eliminate my carbs, I'm going to go keto?

Problem with a lot of these cure-alls is the they are based on some nefarious plot by doctors and pharmaceutical companies to do all these unnecessary expensive procedures to make money, when everything could be solved by just buying the book and following are diet plan at x amount of dollars per month. Or clicks.

Life is balance. Keto may work, but it's no miracle cure. There are no miracles. 

56 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

How long have you been making the world miserable since that operation? You change your lifestyle at all? Think you would have lived by telling the doc hey eliminate my carbs, I'm going to go keto?

Problem with a lot of these cure-alls is the they are based on some nefarious plot by doctors and pharmaceutical companies to do all these unnecessary expensive procedures to make money, when everything could be solved by just buying the book and following are diet plan at x amount of dollars per month. Or clicks.

Life is balance. Keto may work, but it's no miracle cure. There are no miracles. 

Fair comment/

Keto may cure some things but it prevents a lot more. Putting people through expensive medical procedures that could have been avoided if people didn't insist that the standard American diet (low fat, high carbs), which obviously isn't working, was healthy certainly isn't ethical. 

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had a stent fitted in a highly reputable British hospital, 10 years ago. No by pass team on standby. Have regular check ups. No issues. A stent is for life. 

Your friend shouldn't listen to Thai doctors, who are generally clueless and out to make as much money from you as they can.

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Stents have changed over the past couple years. besides, the problem with stents are that people think that they are cured and don't have to change their lifestyle. stents are not going to work very well if folks continue to smoke, and stuff wads of saturated fat and other unhealthy stuff into their greasy gobs w while continuing to walk around  with more rolls than a deli

You know me too well!

Archived