Moving to Ubon ...some questions

MikeN

The GF and I are moving to Ubon sometime soon, was originally going to be March but I've been told we have 2 weddings to attend here in BKK during April so we will wait until after that, and then my retirement extension is due in May. The devil you know (at Chaeng Wattana) is better than the devil you don't (at Ubon ), so i think we will be moving mid May.

First question, what is Ubon Immigration like ? (the office in town) Busy or quiet, helpful or PITA ?

Does anybody know how they interpret the "housemaster/possessor" when it comes to the TM30 ? we will be living in a house owned by the GF's sister but she has already said she won't submit a TM30 for some reason ....Fear of being taxed ? Will Immigration let the GF submit one as possessor without a proper lease ? She is registered on the tabien baan of another sister, and thinks I can register my address at that house but I am wary of that, just in case they send somebody out to check ?

Any thoughts on a farang friendly bank in Ubon ? One that does not insist on a work permit etc to open an account ? I'm with Bangkok Bank here in BKK so it might be easier with a branch of them ?

Any other tips ?

Do consider getting your visa extension in Ubon Immigration. Much quicker and painless.

I did mine in BKK for ages  - first Suan Phlu (no problems) then CW (no problems there at the beginning but now so many farang applicants that queues have become ginormous).

A couple years ago I moved to Ubon in my TGF's house. She did the TM30 with her Tabian Bhan.

Ubon Immigration is very accessible. I'm now on my first extension from here.

Concerning banks I suggest you try the banks that have branches at the Central shopping mall outside town.

It's where I opened a new account with Krung Thai.

Get your extension first and go there with your wife and whatever documentation both of you can have.

4 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Only a letter from god now is exceptable to open a bank account, went to kasikorn today, wanted work permit, marriage certificate, proof of ny address in england, and proof of address in korat..

If you are drawing a general conclusion from your experience at one bank/one branch I think that is a mistake. every bit of advice I have seen on Thai Visa over the last 10 years suggests that if you get a refusal at one branch/bank then try another; there is apparently no such thing as one nationwide banking policy on requirements for a foreigner to open a bank account.

If you are drawing a general conclusion from your experience at one bank/one branch I think that is a mistake. every bit of advice I have seen on Thai Visa over the last 10 years suggests that if you get a refusal at one branch/bank then try another; there is apparently no such thing as one nationwide banking policy on requirements for a foreigner to open a bank account.
You're right, it was only the second branch I've tried, Bangkok Bank said the same aswell, just keep plodding on see what happens, just a heads up to maybe be prepared if times might be changing from info over the last 10 years.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, lanng khao said:

Only a letter from god now is exceptable to open a bank account, went to kasikorn today, wanted work permit, marriage certificate, proof of ny address in england, and proof of address in korat..

My friend needs to open an account to receive his retirement funds here via direct deposit. I was in BKK Bank today getting my retirement funds and I asked the customer service lady what he need to open an account. She advised passport, his Social Security card from the US & a Thai person (wife) to come along. Why they need the Thai person there makes no sense, but whatever.

I opened my account back in July & only had my passport. She asked for my Social Security card. I do not carry it in my wallet. I told her the number & she seemed AMAZED that I could remember a 9 digit number. There was more paperwork than usual as it was for an international direct deposit. Anyway, she completed all paperwork & handed me my book in just about one hour.

Archived