Skimming brake disks

janclaes47

Anyone know where in Pattaya or nearby they can skim brake disks.

I know all tire dealers can " polish " brake disks, but i don't think this is the same, because they don't have a lathe.

One shop pointed me to the machine they used to polish the disks, but it was just something that spins fast, and not even close to a lathe.

I could go to a shop that has a lathe, but the question then is of course if they have experience with skimming disks.

The big tyre places usually have a portable skimmer which they attach to your disc while car elevated and it spins the disc and they run the skimmer tool along the disc edge...may or may not help depending on your problem/reason for skimming..mine had horrible noise sometimes when braking.....helped a bit but not 100%

Took my Fortuna in for a service last week, everything fine except they told me that the brakes, front & rear all needed replacing, they also said that there was only about 1000 km left on the disc pads and that the discs on the front also needed skimming,not sure if they meant polishing, the car has only done 75k km, is this normal ? I have had all the work done, it only cost 4900 Baht which also included the new fluid and it looks like a lot of seals, opinions welcome.

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Took my Fortuna in for a service last week, everything fine except they told me that the brakes, front & rear all needed replacing, they also said that there was only about 1000 km left on the disc pads and that the discs on the front also needed skimming,not sure if they meant polishing, the car has only done 75k km, is this normal ? I have had all the work done, it only cost 4900 Baht which also included the new fluid and it looks like a lot of seals, opinions welcome.

Whenever I run into questionable recommendations for car repairs, I ask how much to repair then when they give me a price, I say "Oh, I don't have that money today, I will come back next day", then I take my car to another shop and ask them to check whatever area of the car. One time one shop said I needed to replace my air conditioner for 12,000, I went to another shop and asked them to check my A/C unit, they cleaned it, replaced filter and all was good for way less than 12,000.

14 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I don't recommend skimming them. Had once a skimmed disk crack and warp when braking at 120km/h, was not fun. New ones aren't that expensive, especially if you can order them online or visit BKK's Worachak area.

Are you guys talking about what we Yanks call turning rotors? No one really does that anymore in the states. Just buy new ones.

21 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Are you guys talking about what we Yanks call turning rotors? No one really does that anymore in the states. Just buy new ones.

Seems to be the same thing. At some point in time, maybe about 15y ago, the prices for the disks/discs/rotors plummeted and resurfacing by skimming some metal off stopped making as much sense.

Archived