I got a (detailed?) quote for my pool build! Help me decipher? Good or ok or bad?

ElephantEgo

I got a (detailed?) quote for my pool build! Help me decipher? Good or ok or bad?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

• What should I be looking for here?
  • What information or items are missing (apart from tiles)?
  • Is the pricing okay?
  • Payment plans okay?
  • Equipment?
  • I already know I can get the LED lights for half that price on Lazada!
  • Other tips?

By the way, I am in Kathu, Phuket.

1756681370_PoolQuote.thumb.jpg.61ddbba2ed0177e1bff8fd8786b01050.jpg

32 minutes ago, JakeR said:

What should I be looking for here?

The reputation of your pool builder and his prior work.

I already know I can get the LED lights for half that price on Lazada!

Of course you probably can get them at a third of the price somewhere, but not all LED lights are equal, same as not all cars or motorbikes or whatever are equal

Other tips?

Yes look for another builder, because one that install Astron pumps and Harvard filters, is clearly not familiar with pool building.

Something like this always get three quotes.

You should have detailed drawings of the slab, walls, piping system, pump room, etc.

Get specs for all equipment supplied.

Have they given calcs on volume, turnover time, filtration, etc.

Don't start until you are happy and ask to see his previous pool builds and get references.

Good luck with it.

The third item on the first pic says Pool Cleaning Equipment.

Numbers 3,4,5 on the second pic are: Membrane, Inlet, Vacuum. Number 7 is Salt Equipment.

In the middle pic, No 1 is Piping for Equipment; 2 is equipment for controlling the pump and lighting.

The lower pic (13,000) is about vacuuming sediment, brushes, and leaf skimmer.

Obviously, the big item is the one below, the 318,000Bt one for construction, but the pic is too small to read.

There needs to be something in the quote about a warranty on construction and on the electrics.

What are the dimensions? Pump & filter is a tad expensive. Is he using sand in the filter? 13,000 way to much for cleaning equipment. Total price 750,000 without tiles sound like a tad expensive, but depends on size of pool & surrounding work.

@Bagwain I think you counted the summary and breakdown accounting twice so total price is actually 507,400 (without tiles).

How are you basing the judgement about the cost? On the dimensions?  Are the pool dimensions not clearly included in the quote, as it appears? I was thinking about doing 10x2.5x1.2 roughly. Something like this.
Thank you for noting 13,000 way to much for cleaning equipment. May I ask a more reasonable price on this?

@janclaes47Thank you for your feedback on the equipment. Can you explain a bit more about the problems with Astron pumps and Harvard filters and suggest another brand that will be better please? We are doing a salt water pool.

@RickBradford May I ask what kind of warranty is typical or reasonable to ask for? Such as a certain time frame and on which parts of the product/service?

@grollies I suppose I can ask for a detailed drawing if going forward with this builder. At that appropriate time?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all your feedback!

30 minutes ago, JakeR said:

@janclaes47Thank you for your feedback on the equipment. Can you explain a bit more about the problems with Astron pumps and Harvard filters and suggest another brand that will be better please? We are doing a salt water pool. 

They are called Astral and Hayward.

I know English is not there native language, but a professional pool builder doesn't make those mistakes anymore, only someone who isn't familiar with equipment brands

6 minutes ago, JakeR said:

@janclaes47 I suppose I can forgive them for the language barrier, but how is that equipment itself?

No further comments as you seem totally miss the point of my post.

In my opinion someone who is familiar with those brands doesn't make those mistakes. Do you want your pool build by someone who doesn't have extensive experience in pool building?

@janclaes47 I am not so worried about that because I have seen the builder's work and believe it or not, they do have a lot of experience on pools, yes even having spelled these brand names wrong! T.I.T. This is Thialand bro.

But it still begs the questions: of whether or not an experienced and good builder would use those brands or not... which personally I have no clue about.

2 hours ago, JakeR said:

@Grollies yes idea is to use it for swimming laps, so that is why I am planning to make long/narrow/shallow. It will be for getting fit.

Got you. If you've the space have you considered making it bigger? More fun being able to dive in and splash around. Your specced pump is already big enough. You'll only build it once...

Archived