BANGKOK 19 February 2019 14:29
Christopher Albert

Do not want to Retire in Thailand; how to get my deposit back from Bangkok Bank

Greetings,

In Jan 2016 I applied and got a Thai retirement visa. I left in Nov of thet year, things have changed and I am now living in Mexico.

I am retired US Army and need to be closer to a VA hospital for treatments.

I put 20KUS in a Bangkok Bank account for the purposes of the visa. Now I want it back. I plan on flying to Bangkok to do so.

I would like to wire transfer all the money in my account to my US bank, and close my account.

Is this possible? What nasty surprises might I expect? How much will it cost to get my money out?

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by Christopher Albert
thanks and my name

24 minutes ago, Christopher Albert said:

What nasty surprises might I expect?

make sure you bring that funny passbook from 1965 they gave you.

original deposit slips from when you opened the account. (if you still have them, not necessary)

any ATM cards

your passport

your banks routing number and account number. 

you might have to go to the same branch that you opened the account, not sure.

and yes worse case you withdraw the cash.

but i think you need to declare it coming back to the USA because more than $10k, if traveling with friend or family you can divide it up. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

Bring passport and bankbook. Details of destination bank including IBAN, Swift, Bank Code or Routing Number if available, as well as full address. BKKB is easy to transfer out. Just state medical or personal reasons. Cost now 1,200 total if charges on both ends included or 400 for TH end only. Max. amount below 1.5 Mio. 

Enjoy Mexico. Great and better choice in the right places.. MS>

• Like 1

Check up Transferwise, they are great USA to Thailand, but the other way around I dont know. But as Transferwise is just transfering the money from their own thaiaccount to their own USA-account. maybe this is the simplest and cheapest way to do it...

glegolo

• Like 1

"but i think you need to declare it coming back to the USA because more than $10k, if traveling with friend or family you can divide it up. "

I had thought it was up to $20K without declaring it....then was corrected on here that it had changed to $15K....now you say it's $10K...?

I have one suggestion for you.  If you decide to wire transfer your funds back to the USA you might want to stick around in Thailand until you can verify that the funds are deposited into your USA account.  If the transfer gets gacked up for any reason you’ll be better situated to fix things if you’re still able to get to your Thai bank!  

• Like 2

Where in Mexico? what are the visa requirements there? Thank you for your reply

• Like 1

I'd just do (2) wire transfers, both for a little under 10k. I'm guessing you have a bank account in Mexico. You could transfer one sum to that account and the second sum to your account in the US. Or both sums to the same account.

Or wire one sum, spend some of the balance on your holiday, close the account (or just empty it) the day before you leave, convert the baht to US $ at the airport and fly home.

Carrying 90(+) x $100 bills will be a pain though.

Personally, I'd do a wire transfer, then a second one a couple days later, then empty the account of whatever is leftover on the last day (could even do it at the airport using an ATM). 

If you have the correct wire transfer information (including IBANN and/or SWIFT code) it shouldn't be a problem. I think the banking system confirms the number before the transaction is processed so it's not like the transfer will "disappear" into thin air. I've never had a problem with a wire transfer.

(Note: American banks like IBANN codes but Thailand uses SWIFT. Check with the American/Mexican bank you want to send the money to and see if they have both codes - just in case Thailand won't/can't use an IBANN code. This was an issue for me when I was having my salary wire transferred to Thailand as my Canadian bank wanted an IBANN number but was still able to process the transactions using the SWIFT code. Not sure if the Thai banks are able to do the same thing so it would be better to have both codes if possible.)

No requirement to tell the Thai bank why you are doing the transfer or that you plan on closing the account either.

5 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Bring passport and bankbook. Details of destination bank including IBAN, Swift, Bank Code or Routing Number if available, as well as full address. BKKB is easy to transfer out. Just state medical or personal reasons. Cost now 1,200 total if charges on both ends included or 400 for TH end only. Max. amount below 1.5 Mio. 

Enjoy Mexico. Great and better choice in the right places.. MS>

Not so sure, El Chapo is in jail but they still have a punch of drug lords and violence/kidnapping is a daily business activity

4 hours ago, glegolo said:

Check up Transferwise, they are great USA to Thailand, but the other way around I dont know. But as Transferwise is just transfering the money from their own thaiaccount to their own USA-account. maybe this is the simplest and cheapest way to do it...

glegolo

Transferwise do not do transfers out of Thailand.

Depending on where the OP is and if he has issues transferring directly from his account to the US and he does not want to take cash then he could look at DeeMoney.

2 hours ago, topt said:

Transferwise do not do transfers out of Thailand.

Depending on where the OP is and if he has issues transferring directly from his account to the US and he does not want to take cash then he could look at DeeMoney.

I used Torfx via the UK to Australia.

BB transferred the baht equivalent to $Aud12k to Torfx  (need to open an "account" through them with  Barclays Bank) and pass their security check. ...proof of address in Thailand etc...then they offer an exchange rate..if agreed..all done very quickly and no fees from Torfx.

Just another option as most of these transfer companies don't want to touch Thai baht...but BB (big branch) sent the baht no problem. Cost around B1000 all up.

Just another option.

If he has online banking he can transfer his funds to a US account without coming to Thailand, can he not?

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"but i think you need to declare it coming back to the USA because more than $10k, if traveling with friend or family you can divide it up. "

I had thought it was up to $20K without declaring it....then was corrected on here that it had changed to $15K....now you say it's $10K...?

It has always been 10,000k