Suan Dusit poll shows people worried elections may not even be held

webfact

Poll shows people worried elections may not even be held

By The Nation

7eb43f8007ddfc84f7dfef3b3e9e5a0e.jpeg

file photo

Since relevant agencies have failed to publish the electoral Royal Decree to announce a date for the national elections, uncertainty over whether the vote will even be held has become a top concern, a Suan Dusit poll learned recently. 

Conducted on 1,071 respondents from January 15 to 19, the survey found that 48.46 per cent ranked election uncertainty as their top worry, saying they were afraid it might not happen at all. 

The government said last month that the Royal Decree will be published on January 2, but recently said the election will be postponed by a whole month to March 24, as it may clash with the coronation ceremony in May. 

The election was initially scheduled for February 24. 

This move has provoked pro-election groups to take to the streets and demand clarity. They are also asking for an election to be organised quickly. 

Coming in at No 2 on the list of top 10 political concerns right now is conflict and turmoil. Some 40.9 per cent of the respondents said they were worried that division and disagreements would lead to unrest. 

More than a third, or 36.69 per cent, said they were worried about recession and a drop in investor confidence. 

Corruption, including poll fraud, and government instability came in fourth and fifth with 30.63 and 24.18 per cent respectively. 

The five other concerns were hunger for power, Thailand’s reputation, the impact politics is having on people’s quality of life, deprivation of rights and pseudo democracy, as well as fake news. 

Meanwhile, a survey conducted by NIDA on 2,500 people between January 2 and 15 found that junta leader General Prayut Chan-o-cha was preferred as the next premier (26.2 per cent). 

Coming in second was Pheu Thai’s Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan with 22.40 votes, while former PM and Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva came in third with 11.56 per cent. The new, young pro-democracy politician, Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, who is leader of the Future Forward Party, came in fourth with 9.60 per cent.

Other politicians ranking from fifth to the 10th place were Seree Ruam Thai Party leader Pol General Sereepisut Temeeyaves, Pheu Thai’s Chatchart Sittiphan, Democrat’s former leader and ex-PM Chuan Leekpai, Pheu Thai leader Viroj Pao-in, Bhumjaithai Party leader Anutin Charnvirakul and incumbent Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30362588

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-21

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, webfact said:

the survey found that 48.46 per cent ranked election uncertainty as their top worry, saying they were afraid it might not happen at all. 

WOW! if nearly 50% in a poll are unsure the election will not happen, the real numbers must be scary.

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

Coming in at No 2 on the list of top 10 political concerns right now is conflict and turmoil. Some 40.9 per cent of the respondents said they were worried that division and disagreements would lead to unrest. 

This will play into the current regime's narrative. Watch this space.

It is interesting these numbers are being published at all, there must be a strong groundswell for chamge.

59 minutes ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, a survey conducted by NIDA on 2,500 people between January 2 and 15 found that junta leader General Prayut Chan-o-cha was preferred as the next premier (26.2 per cent). 

2nd  favourite was a "M. Mouse"

"The government said last month that the Royal Decree will be published on January 2, but recently said the election will be postponed by a whole month to March 24, as it may clash with the coronation ceremony in May," last time I checked, March was before May, that would mean it was closer, therefore more likely to clash, with the coronation, than if elections were held in February....... am I missing something, has someone changed the calendar, is March now after May, or has May been moved before March... so confusing.

5 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

"The government said last month that the Royal Decree will be published on January 2, but recently said the election will be postponed by a whole month to March 24, as it may clash with the coronation ceremony in May," last time I checked, March was before May, that would mean it was closer, therefore more likely to clash, with the coronation, than if elections were held in February....... am I missing something, has someone changed the calendar, is March now after May, or has May been moved before March... so confusing.

Their excuse for the delay, is that the results were due to be announced 60 days after the election. It is this announcement that would have clashed with the coronation ceremonies, not the election itself.

A fair and democratic, untainted election?!

It is not rocket science. 

Past events in history have clearly demonstrated how past dictators have acted with their twisted mentality plus mind set in order to hold onto power, and the way in which they implement brutality by unjust

methods in order to cling onto greed, a demented dream, a position. 

Thankfully nothing or no one lasts forever. We all have our day...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Since relevant agencies have failed to publish the electoral Royal Decree to announce a date for the national elections, uncertainty over whether the vote will even be held has become a top concern, a Suan Dusit poll learned recently

could view the whole thing as general thai incompetence Or could view it as a brilliantly orchestrated charade spreading blame/responsibility wide and thin

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

It's a great pity that Thailand is edging closer to the point where for all intents and purposes, it is flushing itself down it's own toilet. Histpry will probably not remember Prayuth, Prawit and Prem kindly.

They are living for today, no thought for tomorrow. All thoughts are concentrated on election "fixing".

1 minute ago, neeray said:

They are living for today, no thought for tomorrow. All thoughts are concentrated on election "fixing".

You may well be right. Sometimes I fear for the Thai people, other times I have no such concern - if they don't, why should I? Since I can do little about it anyway, perhaps I should take the view that if they wish to flush themselves down their own toilet, then they probably know best when and how to do it. Their own incompetence will guide them unerringly to the right decision.

12 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

could view the whole thing as general thai incompetence Or could view it as a brilliantly orchestrated charade spreading blame/responsibility wide and thin

Indeed, and it's sometimes difficult to tell whether genius or stupidity is at work. Past history would suggest the latter. Sometimes one has to conclude that the real accomplishment of Thais and Thailand is to uniformly bugger up everything.

Consistency of a type I suppose.

14 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

You may well be right. Sometimes I fear for the Thai people, other times I have no such concern - if they don't, why should I? Since I can do little about it anyway, perhaps I should take the view that if they wish to flush themselves down their own toilet, then they probably know best when and how to do it. Their own incompetence will guide them unerringly to the right decision.

I have great compassion for the common Thai people. Unfortunately, the masses just do not have the where with all to deal with "the big guns". It's going to require a full bore revolution; that in itself will produce a devastating outcome for the people and the country.

1 minute ago, neeray said:

I have great compassion for the common Thai people. Unfortunately, the masses just do not have the where with all to deal with "the big guns". It's going to require a full bore revolution; that in itself will produce a devastating outcome for the people and the country.

Well, it seems inevitable to me that it has to happen, and I've been watching various commentators who've said that pretty much ever since the putsch.

I'm frankly amazed that Thaksin didn't go with his own rear-guard action, but then he's a Thai as well I suppose so I really shouldn't be surprised.

"Öoh, shall I do something or just sit on my bottom for a while longer? Ooh, decisions decisions... Right, bottom-sitting it is then. What day is it today?"

*sigh*

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

All revolutions are bloody. How do you think the outcome of a Thai one would be devastating?

3 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

All revolutions are bloody. How do you think the outcome of a Thai one would be devastating?

Much blood would flow.

The economy would suffer for years.

Just now, MrPatrickThai said:

Rather racist, isn't it? I hope none of your family are Thai.

Racism is generally one of the standard responses to something we don't like. It's not very smart but then it generally isn't used by people who know which way is up. It's a politically correct mantra for the support of the unintelligent, whom, as a society we sometimes choose to encourage and patronise - most often so we can look down our noses at them.

There are quite a few of them, watching the new ones being drawn like a six-shooter can be quite fun.

It's all a game - a sorry dance.

2 minutes ago, neeray said:

Much blood would flow.

The economy would suffer for years.

The economy has been suffering for years already, despite the fairy-tales told by Somkid & Co. I can't remember seeing Thailand in more dire straits or when more people were walking about looking miserable, or when the classic signs of the accelerating disintegration of a society were more plentiful (petty and violent crime mainly).

When the Thai people decide they've had enough, I suppose blood will flow, but they've been propagandised into cowering for so long I doubt they'll ever do something about it, I suspect that ATM machine is now empty.

15 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Rather racist, isn't it? I hope none of your family are Thai.

I have a Thai wife and Thai step-children. Oddly, they all seem to agree with me, those that weren't left with the old girl to ruin while their Mum was obliged to go to Bangkok to earn a pittance, that is, the ruination of those was more or less complete, though I did help the lad through university.

My first Thai marriage was to a Thai wannabe socialite, a year was all I could take of her nonsense before I ran screaming for the door.

Ain't hindsight a wunnerful thing?

In general I try to avoid Thais, my wife is better at dealing with them - something to do with synapses I suppose...

8 minutes ago, puukao said:

best of luck, all i can say.

and sell all my Baht to another currency the day of the election, or right before.

no roots, no worries.  all i need is cash and a passport.  

Agree. One of the most sensible people I ever met confided that a passport and an ATM card were all he needed to live happily ever after. I was frankly envious of his detachment from the normal accoutrements lots of us tend to hanker after.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Their excuse for the delay, is that the results were due to be announced 60 days after the election. It is this announcement that would have clashed with the coronation ceremonies, not the election itself.

Wrong, Pinocchio wants the box seat next to the king at the coronation trying to kiss arse in case of the worst case scenario he actually LOSES the un loseable election

10 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I don't want to appear selfish but I wonder what a Thai revolution would mean for us expats?

Rest easy. Doubt there will be a revolution like the Arab spring as wiser heads at the top of the food chain will purge the power crazy fraternity of generals and their allies in the privy council. Happening as we speak. 

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

60 days to count the votes - amazing! Plenty of time to manipulate figures.

1 hour ago, HalfLight said:

The economy has been suffering for years already,

Really, I hope you don't work as a stockbroker or financial analyst. Take a look at all the BMW's and Benz's around the streets, even upcountry.

Archived