Trump says no amnesty for 'Dreamers,' signals support in broader deal

webfact

Trump says no amnesty for 'Dreamers,' signals support in broader deal

By David Morgan

2019-01-20T154303Z_1_LYNXNPEF0J0T1_RTROPTP_4_USA-SHUTDOWN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks on border security and the partial shutdown of the U.S. government from the Diplomatic Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., Jan. 19, 2019. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Sunday that his proposed immigration deal to end a 30-day partial government shutdown would not lead to amnesty for "Dreamers," but appeared to signal support for amnesty as part of a broader immigration agreement.

In a morning Twitter storm, Trump also said he would not seek the removal of millions of illegal immigrants living in the United States, while bashing House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her fellow Democrats for turning down an offer he made on Saturday, including for Dreamers, the undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children.

"No, Amnesty is not a part of my offer. It is a 3-year extension of DACA. Amnesty will be used only on a much bigger deal, whether on immigration or something else," Trump said on Twitter.

"Likewise there will be no big push to remove the 11,000,000 plus people who are here illegally-but be careful Nancy!"

The Dreamers are protected from deportation under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) programme.

DACA was put in place under former President Barack Obama. The Trump administration said in September 2017 it would rescind DACA but it remains in effect under court order.

Trump did not make clear what he was referring to regarding the 11 million people mentioned in his tweet. About 12 million people are living in the United States illegally, according to U.S. Department of Homeland Security estimates.

In a Saturday speech from the White House, Trump offered three years of protections for Dreamers and for holders of temporary protected status (TPS), another class of immigrants from designated countries affected by armed conflict, natural disaster, or other strife.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell welcomed the plan as a "bold solution", while a spokesman said McConnell would seek Senate passage of the proposal this week.

The legislation will include bills to fund government departments that have been closed during the shutdown, as well as some disaster aid and the president's immigration proposal, a McConnell aide said.

But Trump's amnesty tweet caught some Republicans off guard.

"I don't know what the president's calling amnesty," Senator James Lankford, an Oklahoma Republican, told ABC's "This Week" programme. "That's a longer debate and obviously not something we can solve quickly."

Trump appeared to be responding to conservative critics who accused him of proposing amnesty and reneging on a campaign promise, which could alienate his right-wing base.

About one-quarter of the U.S. government shut down on Dec. 22 over Trump's demand for $5.7 billion to fund a wall along the border with Mexico, which Democrats have refused to consider. Some 800,000 federal workers have been ordered to stay home or work without pay during the shutdown.

The promise of a border wall was a mainstay of Trump's 2016 presidential election campaign. As a candidate, he said Mexico would pay for the barrier, but the Mexican government has refused.

The shutdown has caused widespread disruptions.

The Transportation Security Administration on Sunday reported an 8 percent national rate of unscheduled absences on Saturday, compared with 3 percent a year ago. More than 50,000 TSA officers are working without pay.

Some airports experienced longer wait times at security checkpoints, and Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport closed one of its checkpoints due to excessive absences.

'STARTING POINT'

On Sunday, a day after Trump's DACA proposal, there appeared to be signs of movement, even as Democrats insisted the government should reopen before proceeding with talks over border security.

"What the president proposed yesterday - increasing border security, looking at TPS, looking at the Dreamers - I'll use that as a starting point. But you've got to start by reopening the government," U.S. Senator Mark Warner said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Warner, a Virginia Democrat, also said Congress should approve pay for federal workers affected by the shutdown before they miss another paycheck this week.

Bennie Thompson, the Democratic chair of the House Homeland Security committee, said Democrats were not opposed to physical barriers on the southern border, but Trump's changing position poses a problem for resolving the border security issue.

"I would not rule out a wall in certain instances," Thompson said on ABC's "This Week" on Sunday.

(Reporting by David Morgan in Washington; Additional reporting by Yasmeen Abutaleb and Susan Cornwell in Washington; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe and Susan Thomas)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-21

Pelosi is beginning to look worse as she won't negotiate and is never in D.C. If she is thinking Trump has to cave to reopen the government I think she has under estimated how far Trump will take this. 

As I said before Trump won't commit political suicide and that's the only thing Pelosi wants. So expect this to be a long drawn out shut down.

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Pelosi is beginning to look worse as she won't negotiate and is never in D.C. If she is thinking Trump has to cave to reopen the government I think she has under estimated how far Trump will take this. 

As I said before Trump won't commit political suicide and that's the only thing Pelosi wants. So expect this to be a long drawn out shut down.

It certainly looks like he's committing it.

You may well be right donald doesent give a (fig)about the 800,000 people he put out of work he only cares what Fox News and the rest of the quasi conservatives say as usual it’s all about Donald not the country and before all the panic invasion illeagle drug rants start please keep ln mind Donald’s shut down is affecting the very organizations that protect us from that

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

If Trump even suggests amnesty for illegals, his base will abandon him. Perhaps he is resigned to a 4 year presidency , and just wants to get the wall built, even if it destroys his chances of re election.

Given the amount of abuse he is receiving, and the harmful effects it must be having on his family, he may be thinking that no presidency is worth the <deleted>.

27 minutes ago, Tug said:

You may well be right donald doesent give a (fig)about the 800,000 people he put out of work he only cares what Fox News and the rest of the quasi conservatives say as usual it’s all about Donald not the country and before all the panic invasion illeagle drug rants start please keep ln mind Donald’s shut down is affecting the very organizations that protect us from that

Are you referring to the 800,000 apparently unnecessary government workers? Obama probably put more than that out of work and no one appeared to care much ( except for the people put out of work and their communities ).

As I mentioned at the start of the shut down, the danger for Pelosi et al is that the general populace may start to realise that they are paying for a lot of drones in Washington, and begin supporting a massive cull of swamp dwellers.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm. That's what I say when any politician starts promising stuff to get elected ( and thereafter as well ). I'm rarely wrong.

True enough in a lot of cases, but with trump’s twitter rants, it’s a constant. 

Immigration hardliners outraged over Trump’s proposed shutdown deal

Democrats aren’t the only ones who think the deal should be dead on arrival.

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/20/18190721/immigration-hardliners-outraged-trump-shutdown-deal

I believe there's enough Republican Senators will block Trump's offer if it came from the House.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell appears to be unwilling to take the lead with Trump's offer to get a majority Republican vote for it, rather letting Trump convince Republican Senators to support it whereby Mitch avoids another last minute reversal (aka backstab) by Trump to unilaterally change the deal.

So what's the point in the Democrats considering the basic tenants of Trump's offer?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If Trump even suggests amnesty for illegals, his base will abandon him. Perhaps he is resigned to a 4 year presidency , and just wants to get the wall built, even if it destroys his chances of re election.

Given the amount of abuse he is receiving, and the harmful effects it must be having on his family, he may be thinking that no presidency is worth the <deleted>.

And the beauty of it is that it's all on him.

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Spot on. Listen to Pence on CNN. He commented on Trumps latest talk. The language was all about what Trump wanted not the people. Sounds like an extension of North Korea a new dictator.

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Really?  What organizations would that be? All border security, TSA and military roles are still manned. So which ones are you referring?

I have lived on the border in San Diego and moved because I refused to have to stay inside after the sun went down. Three Mex Muggings under my belt and I left a failed state. Governor Brown was as worthless as a shovel in a Mexicans hand

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you referring to the 800,000 apparently unnecessary government workers? Obama probably put more than that out of work and no one appeared to care much ( except for the people put out of work and their communities ).

As I mentioned at the start of the shut down, the danger for Pelosi et al is that the general populace may start to realise that they are paying for a lot of drones in Washington, and begin supporting a massive cull of swamp dwellers.

The “800,000 apparently unnessesary government workers” are not all furloughed, and a quantity that are furloughed, have been told to come back to work.... so your comment is rather misleading, at best.

meanwhile, the loss of those that are not working, nor required to come back to work, equates to things like public parks being shut down, amongst other things that should be considered... so again, your comment is misleading, at best

but sure.... cull some of the chaff, and I would suggest it’s appropriate to start by skimming the muck from the top

3 minutes ago, crees said:

I have lived on the border in San Diego and moved because I refused to have to stay inside after the sun went down. Three Mex Muggings under my belt and I left a failed state. Governor Brown was as worthless as a shovel in a Mexicans hand

I guess it all depends on how you define failure:

California's Economy Is Now Bigger Than All of the U.K.

California’s economy just made a huge leap.

If the state –with its 39.5 million people – was an independent country, it would have the fifth largest economy in the world, according to new federal figured released on Friday – just surpassing the United Kingdom, which has a population of 65.6 million.

California’s economy of $2.7 trillion sits behind the United States, China, Japan and Germany.

http://fortune.com/2018/05/05/california-fifth-biggest-economy-passes-united-kingdom/

54 minutes ago, crees said:

If they are worthless how come they managed to mug you three times?

5 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

You guys crack me up.... on the thread about pelosi not going to Afghanistan, you were all crowing and suggesting fancy Nancy could talk to the foreign diplomats etc over the phone... no need to go... get out of the dark ages and use modern media.

now...  for some bizarre reason, you think she can’t do the exact same thing in dealing with the dummy don.... who can’t seem to make up his mind one way or another.... he needs to put it in writing before even bothering to talk to her hand.

but that said... where is Nancy anyway, if not at work, as you boldly claim?

and whilst on Politicians not being in DC... you do know that Donald promised you that he would never take holidays, yet has spent more time than any other president away from his desk... not that he does much whilst at his desk, given the amount of promises he’s kept (or rather, not kept)... which, if your wondering, is less than any other modern president.... (I say modern, because I haven’t looked at that many dead presidents records)

and... its funny how the prospect of a bipartisan deal has become political suicide, in a bipartisan system. At least a parliamentarian system is described as adversarial... lol... and still has more checks and balances than the flawed democracy that is the United States of America.

lol... pelosi has under estimated trump... really? Are you sure it’s not the reverse? Never mind... trumps shutdown needs to be solved by a trump deal.... vs a trump rip off, which is his usual MO, given past history... (which y’all know, unless you got your degrees from trump university)

Pelosi can't cave. If she does dictator bully prez will pull this stunt for everything. Don't reward presidential terrorism. His sick pattern is creating crises and then take credit for sloppily solving them. Don't feed the shabby Twitter troll queen any more. He either plays like an adult or ignore him.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Yes.  I notice that the Democrats and the liberal media are starting to panic.  Chris Matthews is demanding this get solved now.  The left knows time is on Trump's side as they are more and more being viewed as the "friends" who won't throw the federal employees a life preserver.

Trump is playing this one masterfully.  He has made generous offers and Pelosi and gang refuse to accept them.

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

Yes.  I notice that the Democrats and the liberal media are starting to panic.  Chris Matthews is demanding this get solved now.  The left knows time is on Trump's side as they are more and more being viewed as the "friends" who won't throw the federal employees a life preserver.

Trump is playing this one masterfully.  He has made generous offers and Pelosi and gang refuse to accept them.

What generous offer would that be? A judge has put a stay on his DACA policy. According to all the reports I've seen, the Supreme Court likely won't get involved. So as far as DACA goes he's offering nothing. And even his "generous" offer only continues the status quo for 3 years. He offers no avenue to legalization.

4 hours ago, Kelsall said:

???????????????? don’t you think all responsible politicians, of whatever flavor, should demand that this get solved ASAP?

If you do, then you agree with Matthews... if you don’t, then that’s pathetic.... the art of the deal my butt hole

13 hours ago, Kelsall said:

You're lying again.  Lying is not going to win you any points with the general public.  Just ask Trump.  He's being blamed for this shutdown, even by his own supporters....

[Trump voters now blame him for the government shutdown]

[Many here, even those who still support Trump, say they hold him most responsible. They recite his comment from the Oval Office that he would be “proud to shut down the government.” When he said it, they listened.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-voters-now-blame-him-for-the-government-shutdown/ar-BBSxPvV?ocid=wispr

Just checking back on this thread a couple of posters made a comment about the out of work feds weren’t needed l lot are being forced to work without pay tsa coast guard prison guards ect ect it’s so nice to know that in your wisdom you feel they aren’t nessary and it’s ok for them to be essentially inslaved pretty sad

13 hours ago, bristolboy said:

What generous offer would that be? A judge has put a stay on his DACA policy. According to all the reports I've seen, the Supreme Court likely won't get involved. So as far as DACA goes he's offering nothing. And even his "generous" offer only continues the status quo for 3 years. He offers no avenue to legalization.

The Democrats had eight years to solve that problem. They didn't get it done either.

They were too busy trying to get a wall built.

Archived