Do not hijack Brexit, minister warns Britain's parliament

webfact

Do not hijack Brexit, minister warns Britain's parliament

By Elizabeth Piper

2019-01-20T165606Z_1_LYNXNPEF0J0XK_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-MARR.JPG

Britain's Secretary of State for International Trade Liam Fox appears on BBC TV's The Andrew Marr Show in London, Britain, January 20, 2019. Jeff Overs/BBC/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - Parliament cannot be allowed to hijack Brexit, Trade Minister Liam Fox said on Sunday, in a warning to lawmakers who want to take more control over Britain's departure from the European Union.

With just weeks to go before Britain is due to leave the EU, Prime Minister Theresa May will return to parliament on Monday to set out how she plans to try to break the Brexit deadlock after her deal was rejected by lawmakers last week.

She will also speak to ministers on Sunday on a conference call, a government source said, as the prime minister tries to navigate a way through the competing visions for the future from a second referendum to staying in the EU.

Time is running out for Brexit, Britain's biggest shift in foreign and trade policy in more than 40 years, but so far there is little that unites a divided parliament beyond its rejection of May's deal that envisages close economic ties with the EU.

Britain's main opposition Labour Party is pressing for a new election and for May to rule out the possibility of a no-deal Brexit, while others in parliament are lobbying for anything from a second referendum to leaving without an agreement.

Fox, a Brexit supporter, told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show that May's divorce agreement with the EU was still the best basis for a deal and warned lawmakers against trying to take more control of Britain's departure.

"Parliament has not got the right to hijack the Brexit process because parliament said to the people of this country: 'we make a contract with you, you will make the decision and we will honour it'," Fox said.

"What we are now getting are some of those who were always absolutely opposed to the result of the referendum trying to hijack Brexit and in effect steal the result from the people."

Britain voted with a 52 percent majority to leave the EU in a 2016 referendum that exposed deep divisions across the country, divisions that still split cities and towns, and the country's parliament, almost three years on.

DEADLOCK

After seeing her deal rejected by more than 200 lawmakers last week, May has opened talks with other parties to try to find a way to break the deadlock.

But with Labour refusing to take part until May rules out leaving without a deal, some lawmakers fear those talks will change little and instead have said they will launch attempts next week to force the government to change course.

Several are trying to make sure Britain does not "accidentally" leave without a deal on March 29, a scenario some businesses say would be catastrophic for the economy.

"What happens when you have a hung parliament is that power does pass from government ... to parliament and that's what we are seeing play out," Nicky Morgan, a Conservative former minister, told Sky News.

She said she was backing a bill that would force the government to extend Article 50, which triggered Britain's two-year talks to leave the EU, if it cannot get an agreement approved by parliament by the end of February.

Dominic Grieve, another Conservative lawmaker, is also looking at ways to stop Britain from leaving without a deal.

With much of the focus now on Labour, its Brexit spokesman Keir Starmer said there was now only really two options that could find majority support - a future close economic relationship with the EU or a second referendum - and that it was increasingly inevitable that Article 50 would be extended.

"We've arrived at phase three and therefore we need to be realistic about what the options are," Starmer told the BBC.

"Let's ... reduce it to the options that are at least capable of getting a majority and that is a close economic relationship and a public vote."

(Editing by Janet Lawrence)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-21

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

the anger will spill over on the streets and it will make the Gilets jaune look like the teddy bears picnic.

Hope it will not generate in a street clash between 48 and 52 % of the population. 

Sometimes, father knows best. And besides, maybe Brexiters will experience Stockholm Syndrome until the positive results of remaining can be proven conclusively.

Stockholm syndrome is a condition that causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors as a survival strategy during captivity

54 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

If they keep trying to cancel our Brexit by these underhand means things will get messy. When I say messy, I mean the anger will spill over on the streets and it will make the Gilets jaune look like the teddy bears picnic. Enough of this BS.

So Brexiteers reached the ‘we’ll smash your windows’ stage of their adjustment to reality.

I’ll remind you:

The last pro-Brexit march mustered around 2500 Brexiteers.

The last pro-Remain march mustered around 700,000.

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

If they keep trying to cancel our Brexit by these underhand means things will get messy. When I say messy, I mean the anger will spill over on the streets and it will make the Gilets jaune look like the teddy bears picnic. Enough of this BS.

Will you use the red bus to block the streets? Cute. 

53 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

UK should have walked the day after the referendum. What a waste of 2 years.

2 years and 9 months to be precise.

A waste for most of us on both sides of the Channel, but a treasure trove for many politicians. Including pro-Brexit members of the European Parliament.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So Brexiteers reached the ‘we’ll smash your windows’ stage of their adjustment to reality.

I’ll remind you:

Not much point marching when you won.

Parliament really shouldn't try to sabotage the process. Especially those members who were voted in by a majority of Leave voters. 

33 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Parliament really shouldn't try to sabotage the process. Especially those members who were voted in by a majority of Leave voters. 

How many more times do I have to explain representative democracy? If you don't like it, campaign for change. 

31 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Because the Government can not deliver the Brexit promised

LONDON — Liam Fox will fail to sign any of the 40 free trade deals he promised for "the second after" Brexit, in time, according to officials inside the UK government.

The International Trade Secretary promised that Britain would immediately roll over all of the 40 free trade deals it has with non-EU countries as part of its membership.

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-liam-fox-will-break-promise-to-sign-40-trade-deals-the-second-after-leaving-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

56 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Great mug shot of Fox

Just look at him. What a useless twit

Now he's encouraging the worst elements to rise up against a false premise. The man should be read the riot act.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Fox

I disagree with everything this <deleted> stands for including pro life, anti gay, pro zionist, pro Bahrain, pro Trump, pro American food standards. He's ripping off the public purse and should have his Scottish nationality revoked. 

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I disagree with everything this <deleted> stands for including pro life, anti gay, pro zionist, pro Bahrain, pro Trump, pro American food standards. He's ripping off the public purse and should have his Scottish nationality revoked. 

You disagree with anyone who doesn't say what you want to hear.

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Hope it will not generate in a street clash between 48 and 52 % of the population. 

Of coarse you do not want that...

just like a second referendum it would prove that still having a majority support is just another Brexteers lie.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

So who do you disagree with?

I didn't mention Brexit; Fox doesn't really care about that. Only interested in filling his own pockets.

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Would you like to think on what you have just said, basically you have just said no one is allowed an opinion other than yourself.

I hope it does not offend when I say I disagree with most of your posts.

"You've got a Leave population and a Remain Parliament. Parliament has not got the right to hijack the Brexit process."

Not true Mr Fox.

"You've got" Half population, against Half population + Parliament ("Westminster" to be more accurate).

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

So who do you disagree with?

I didn't mention Brexit; Fox doesn't really care about that. Only interested in filling his own pockets.

I agree with politicians who are willing to give the people what they voted for, and at the other end of the scale politicians like Soubry, Grieve and Yvette Cooper (who make my blood boil), and the speaker Berco should be sacked for his bias and unfair prejudices. 

17 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Would you like to think on what you have just said, basically you have just said no one is allowed an opinion other than yourself.

I hope it does not offend when I say I disagree with most of your posts.

17.4 had an opinion, not just me, if you don't like what I say it probably has something to

do with not getting your own way on the 21st June 2016. Just for the record I find your posts very condescending, no offence meant.

53 minutes ago, Grouse said:

He's part of your representative democracy, is he not? If you don't like him, campaign for a change.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

"You've got a Leave population and a Remain Parliament. Parliament has not got the right to hijack the Brexit process."

Not true Mr Fox.

"You've got" Half population, against Half population + Parliament ("Westminster" to be more accurate).

Maths is obviously not your major subject, because a 52/48 vote is not "half and half".

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ll remind you:

Not according to stats released at the time as a result of FoI requests featured elsewhere & already bearing your all too familiar 'rubber stamp????

image.jpeg.baffa028cad3d788b9db2181a5e80dce.jpeg

39 minutes ago, newatthis said:

He's part of your representative democracy, is he not? If you don't like him, campaign for a change.

Democracy??? ever time a second referendum is mentioned hard line brexiteers wet their knickers and throw a tantrum...

58 minutes ago, vogie said:

I agree with politicians who are willing to give the people what they voted for (...)

People never voted for a hard Brexit. People were told by Boris and the storytellers they would get a pink unicorn. Cameron then send them a leaflet saying “pink unicorns don’t exist, but I promise my team will get you one should you vote for it”. So Theresa went to Brussels and asked for a pink unicorn. People looked at her and shrugged, but she insisted. “That’s what the people for voted for, a pink unicorn”. And Raab and Davies added, “Brussels must hide it somewhere, they just don’t wanna give it to us because then everyone would want one.”

Two years down the road, Theresa comes back with a donkey she colored pink. At least, it can walk and is functional. But Jacob says, “no, let’s give them a toy unicorn; after all, that’s what people voted for, a pink unicorn.”  

You guys really need to wake up and stop throwing tantrums and start finding solutions. There is reality, and there is the fantasy products you’ve been told. 

Mr Corbyn wants to enter negotiations after stating that there should be no possibility of a "no deal".

Would anyone be stupid enough to enter negotiation, for example, to buy a house, by stating that there will be a deal, no matter what, thereby enabling the other party to set the terms of the deal, knowing that eventually the buyer has to accept them or at least a modified version of them, as to do so would be the forbidden "no deal".  This man thinks that he could negotiate a better deal than that already on the table with a tactic like that?  The EU would have the opportunity to reduce their offer of a  settlement substantially, knowing that the option of a "no deal" was not on the table.  

If he were to stick to that tactic, I would love to sell him my house on the grounds that he cannot accept a "no deal".

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

People never voted for a hard Brexit. People were told by Boris and the storytellers they would get a pink unicorn. Cameron then send them a leaflet saying “pink unicorns don’t exist, but I promise my team will get you one should you vote for it”. So Theresa went to Brussels and asked for a pink unicorn. People looked at her and shrugged, but she insisted. “That’s what the people for voted for, a pink unicorn”. And Raab and Davies added, “Brussels must hide it somewhere, they just don’t wanna give it to us because then everyone would want one.”

Two years down the road, Theresa comes back with a donkey she colored pink. At least, it can walk and is functional. But Jacob says, “no, let’s give them a toy unicorn; after all, that’s what people voted for, a pink unicorn.”  

You guys really need to wake up and stop throwing tantrums and start finding solutions. There is reality, and there is the fantasy products you’ve been told. 

You are right, people never voted for a hard Brexit.  What they voted for was BREXIT, hard or soft.   At General Elections, politicians of all parties tend to promise the earth in their manifestos and voters react to those promises.  The Brexit referendum was no different and yet when the result is announced, those who did not get the result they expected or wanted, demand the result is overturned, whilst they would no doubt agree that they are bound by a General Election result.  Yes, Governments can be overthrown in a future election but so can the decision to leave the EU be changed in a few years' time, if that turned out to be the new wish of the people, assuming of course that the EU survives in its present form.

It is significant that no other leader of the remaining 27 countries has the confidence in the organisation to allow its people to vote on the issue of membership.  Most of them are completely out of touch with their voters and fail to understand the rise of the so-called far-right in their countries.  All over the world, countries are trying to hold on to their own identity, starting with the break up of the Soviet Union and now evident in several other countries, like Spain, Russia and China to name just three, whereas the EU is trying to achieve the opposite, with more and more attempts at overall regulatory and financial control over their members.  Eventually, these countries will rebel, as did the UK, despite undoubted temporary financial consequences.

Archived