Do not hijack Brexit, minister warns Britain's parliament

webfact

14 minutes ago, bomber said:

you need a visit to magaluf general hospital,you will see lots of baldy brits covered in bulldog tattooes also receiving treatment without reimbursement,wonder who will treat them after brexit,and everytime you pay your taxes a small amount will be going towards the cost of housing an asylum seeker plucked out of the channel because the french/german/dutch govts dont give them the benefits our goverment choose to give them,its their sovereign right to choose not to,as for factories relocating your spot on toyota,nissan,bmw etc all said they will be reviewing staying in the UK after brexit they will be gone and your taxes wont make one iota of difference to them it will go towards the benefits for the workers put on the dole,now whats better than that? straight into your fellow brits pockets,everybody's happy

Figures obtained from the Department of Health through Freedom of Information requests.

They showed that the UK paid just over £630million to European Economic Area countries in 2016-17. The UK claimed back just under £66.5milion in respect of NHS treatment of those countries' nationals, a discrepancy of nearly £564million or some £11milion a week.

The biggest gaps were with France, Ireland and Spain who between them received £551million from the UK for treating Britons but paid the NHS only £28million for treating their nationals.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, bomber said:

...as for factories relocating your spot on toyota,nissan,bmw etc all said they will be reviewing staying in the UK after brexit they will be gone and your taxes wont make one iota of difference to them it will go towards the benefits for the workers put on the dole,now whats better than that? straight into your fellow brits pockets,everybody's happy

This is what the EU has already done to our factories:

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.

Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.

Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.

British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.

Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.

Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.

M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.

Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.

Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.

Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.

Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.

Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.

Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.

ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs

Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.

JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.

UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.

Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.

Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.

The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.

Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.

39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU

The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK.

The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Our now almost non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy and imposes quotas on. 

The farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK.

Posts from a questionable source have been removed.   RT is not credible and most credible information can be found elsewhere.  

Trollish meme also removed.   Some members are confusing us with FB.   Post nonsense elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

This is what the EU has already done to our factories:

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.

Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.

Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.

British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.

Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.

Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.

M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.

Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.

Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.

Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.

Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.

Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.

Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.

ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs

Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.

JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.

UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.

Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.

Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.

The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.

Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.

39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU

The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK.

The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Our now almost non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy and imposes quotas on. 

The farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK.

youve probably named every company thats relocated in the last 20 years,and blamed the EU for it,the companys moving to eastern europe and the far east are in the main moving for cheap labour sometimes even slovakia and romania etc cannot compete with far east labour costs,if you think the UK is going to start making steel at a cheaper price than China then you need help,you also have a dislike for any overseas companies being involved in running/owning UK companies,have you ever stopped to think why that might be,british road,rail,air and public transport has always been inferior to that of other european nations and this wont change with or without brexit,another factor to remember is they might seem good value as their euro make's anything being sold in pounds much better value (another result of brexit),i would think if only one of nissan,toyota,bmw,jal leaves after brexit the total job losses would still be more than all the above put together,never mind perhaps you will be happy when JC takes over he may even re open the british steel industry to take on those nasty chinese while doubling the nations debt. your taxes will be paying for it

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

Figures obtained from the Department of Health through Freedom of Information requests.

They showed that the UK paid just over £630million to European Economic Area countries in 2016-17. The UK claimed back just under £66.5milion in respect of NHS treatment of those countries' nationals, a discrepancy of nearly £564million or some £11milion a week.

The biggest gaps were with France, Ireland and Spain who between them received £551million from the UK for treating Britons but paid the NHS only £28million for treating their nationals.

I think this is missing the point made previously. Brits living in the EU are benefitting in exactly the same way. In order to make a proper comparison you have to look at the health expenditure in ALL EU countries for ALL other EU nationals, then subtract the recovered amount in each case. Of course there is a big gap for France and Spain, not many French or Spanish want to live here, whereas there are masses of Brit expats in the Costa Mucha, and the Dordoyne. It has something to do with climate as those living in Thailand understand. More unhealthy Brits abroad and you pay more money - so what.

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I think this is missing the point made previously. Brits living in the EU are benefitting in exactly the same way. In order to make a proper comparison you have to look at the health expenditure in ALL EU countries for ALL other EU nationals, then subtract the recovered amount in each case. Of course there is a big gap for France and Spain, not many French or Spanish want to live here, whereas there are masses of Brit expats in the Costa Mucha, and the Dordoyne. It has something to do with climate as those living in Thailand understand. More unhealthy Brits abroad and you pay more money - so what.

Is this a EU scheme or is it wider?

I have a card called European Health Care Card, issued free by Norwegian gov.,

it is valid for all EEA countries + Switzerland

the card entitles me to (free) health services equal to what local citizens are entitled to

Good to see Brexit Champion Dyson moving his HQ to Singapore - getting out whilst he can before Brexit Britain bites the dust. Still hey you'll have taken back from control. Enjoy the feeling as the pound and your pension goes down the toilet. 

It’s just TWO people being relocated, the CFO and CLO.
The other 4,000 R&D staff stay in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The point was that we do reimburse millions to the EU, contrary to the assertions that ‘baldy Brits’ in Magaluf are not paid for by the UK.

youve probably named every company thats relocated in the last 20 years,and blamed the EU for it,the companys moving to eastern europe and the far east are in the main moving for cheap labour sometimes even slovakia and romania etc cannot compete with far east labour costs,if you think the UK is going to start making steel at a cheaper price than China then you need help,you also have a dislike for any overseas companies being involved in running/owning UK companies,have you ever stopped to think why that might be,british road,rail,air and public transport has always been inferior to that of other european nations and this wont change with or without brexit,another factor to remember is they might seem good value as their euro make's anything being sold in pounds much better value (another result of brexit),i would think if only one of nissan,toyota,bmw,jal leaves after brexit the total job losses would still be more than all the above put together,never mind perhaps you will be happy when JC takes over he may even re open the british steel industry to take on those nasty chinese while doubling the nations debt. your taxes will be paying for it

The fact that the EU allows and supports relocation of UK factories into cheap labour land is a rip off for Britain.
EU ownership of UK infrastructure, with repatriation of profits back to EU and not reinvesting them, is another rip off.
EU rules not allowing govt support for the Tara steel plants in Wales, is another rip off.

While ever the EU supports UK jobs being asset stripped to EU or lost forever, that’s a rip off.

7 minutes ago, Loiner said:

The fact that the EU allows and supports relocation of UK factories into cheap labour land is a rip off for Britain.
EU ownership of UK infrastructure, with repatriation of profits back to EU and not reinvesting them, is another rip off.
EU rules not allowing govt support for the Tara steel plants in Wales, is another rip off.

While ever the EU supports UK jobs being asset stripped to EU or lost forever, that’s a rip off.

Great. The UK government should not allow UK companies to move.

What is that? Stalinism?

Great. The UK government should not allow UK companies to move.
What is that? Stalinism?

No, but is taking UK business to redistribute into poorer EU states something akin to communism?
If UK business was ‘poached’ without EU grants but cheap labour that’s capitalism. If the UK then put our own tariffs on those new imports, to pay for the newly redundant, what ism would that be?

28 minutes ago, Loiner said:

No, but is taking UK business to redistribute into poorer EU states something akin to communism?
If UK business was ‘poached’ without EU grants but cheap labour that’s capitalism. If the UK then put our own tariffs on those new imports, to pay for the newly redundant, what ism would that be?

try baptism - born again

12 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Is this a EU scheme or is it wider?

I have a card called European Health Care Card, issued free by Norwegian gov.,

it is valid for all EEA countries + Switzerland

the card entitles me to (free) health services equal to what local citizens are entitled to

I'm a bit out of touch with how it works in detail now, I'm sorry I can't help much there. My point was just that the EU are not necessarily ripping UK off just because we pay out more, there are more Brits living in the EU. Furthermore it should be noted that they are largely retired people who contribute nothing. Most EU people in the UK are younger, and come here to work and also pay taxes. I remember the days when you got an E11 form from the post office which covered medical costs on the continent. Back then wonderful French doctors put me back together again after a car accident, it cost me nothing, I am eternally grateful. As a Scot I would rather we were part of the EU than merely an English colony!

8 hours ago, Loiner said:

The point was that we do reimburse millions to the EU, contrary to the assertions that ‘baldy Brits’ in Magaluf are not paid for by the UK.

just accept that its free health care for all there will never be the exact equal amount receiving it across 27 countries,i can see some Brits having big problems after brexit when hitting the costas unless they fork out for insurance,so thats another £50-100 per person to add to the brexit bill,roaming charges will also go back to rip fee's,to go with the 15-20% hit on the pound,probably amounts to £150-300 for a 2 week holiday per person,money that could of gone into the UK economy,coming at a high price this brexit lark

20 minutes ago, bomber said:

just accept that its free health care for all there will never be the exact equal amount receiving it across 27 countries,i can see some Brits having big problems after brexit when hitting the costas unless they fork out for insurance,so thats another £50-100 per person to add to the brexit bill,roaming charges will also go back to rip fee's,to go with the 15-20% hit on the pound,probably amounts to £150-300 for a 2 week holiday per person,money that could of gone into the UK economy,coming at a high price this brexit lark

surely UK must have smth similar to my European Health Care Card

UK stepping out of EEA should not necessarily make a difference

its in nobody's interest to exclude UK from this

as far as I remember I have used it 5 times,

twice in Denmark - twice in Amsterdam - once in Geneva

they all just brushed card away - never mind - free

the chap in Geneva was kinda special, he asked me Are you American?

No I'm Norwegian. Good, I don't like Americans, can't take 'em.

For you, this is free.

6 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

surely UK must have smth similar to my European Health Care Card

UK stepping out of EEA should not necessarily make a difference

its in nobody's interest to exclude UK from this

as far as I remember I have used it 5 times,

twice in Denmark - twice in Amsterdam - once in Geneva

they all just brushed card away - never mind - free

the chap in Geneva was kinda special, he asked me Are you American?

No I'm Norwegian. Good, I don't like Americans, can't take 'em.

For you, this is free.

we wont know until 29 march,i would think a hard brexit would mean no free healthcare and a soft brexit something like what we have now.the hard brexiteers will no doubt claim bullying if the EU were to exclude us from free healthcare within the EU while at the same time demanding we leave lock stock and barrel.

19 hours ago, Loiner said:

Anecdotal, of course, but my sister is a casualty nurse in a very busy hospital in the Highlands. Because of the location, there are manby tourist and, thus, they frequently require to treat foreign patients.

For all patients who are not UK resident they are required to complete a mountain of paperwork that is intended to allow the UK government to reclaim the cost of the treatment from patient's country of origin. However, she has told me that more often than not the paperwork is not completed because they are understaffed and simply do not have the time to fill it out. 

It would appear that the problem is not an imbalance in the treatment meted out between the UK and the rest of the EU, but the red tape that our under-resourced NHS cannot afford to wade through.

12 minutes ago, Grouse said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46968720

SONY joins Panasonic leaving U.K. For Netherlands.

And still the Brexiters don't see what's happening

Read the comments to the above piece!

This turning into a Planet of the Apes sequel 

Why would we need Sony? We were a great nation without Walkmans and Playstations. 

23 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Anecdotal, of course, but my sister is a casualty nurse in a very busy hospital in the Highlands. Because of the location, there are manby tourist and, thus, they frequently require to treat foreign patients.

For all patients who are not UK resident they are required to complete a mountain of paperwork that is intended to allow the UK government to reclaim the cost of the treatment from patient's country of origin. However, she has told me that more often than not the paperwork is not completed because they are understaffed and simply do not have the time to fill it out. 

It would appear that the problem is not an imbalance in the treatment meted out between the UK and the rest of the EU, but the red tape that our under-resourced NHS cannot afford to wade through.

that matches my experience as a user/consumer,

they can't be bothered by the redtape so their preference is to offer the service free

33 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

RR, when I lived in France, I because I was under 60 I could not claim a penny for my hospital treatment and even my prescriptions, I did have a car accident and was hospitalised for 3 nights which cost me about €500, all paid for by myself. I had a friend out there who was over 65 but he still had to pay a percentage on his treatment and prescriptions, then he had paperwork to fill out to get the refund. The French themselves don't get free treatment, they pay their taxes which covers a percentage, but then have to take out private insurance for the rest.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't understand this as surely the multitude of admin. staff employed by the NHS a couple of decades ago should be sorting out the paperwork?

Archived