Do not hijack Brexit, minister warns Britain's parliament

webfact

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Rally123 said:

UK should have walked the day after the referendum. What a waste of 2 years.

yes, and cancell per direct any money from the EU to the U.K. or any British citizens, to start with all EU staff and U.K. members of EU parliament, incl Nigel Farage, whi did not miss one meeting to find out how much he could get out of the EU "wallet"

8 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Mr Corbyn wants to enter negotiations after stating that there should be no possibility of a "no deal".

Would anyone be stupid enough to enter negotiation, for example, to buy a house, by stating that there will be a deal, no matter what, thereby enabling the other party to set the terms of the deal, knowing that eventually the buyer has to accept them or at least a modified version of them, as to do so would be the forbidden "no deal".  This man thinks that he could negotiate a better deal than that already on the table with a tactic like that?  The EU would have the opportunity to reduce their offer of a  settlement substantially, knowing that the option of a "no deal" was not on the table.  

If he were to stick to that tactic, I would love to sell him my house on the grounds that he cannot accept a "no deal".

Still… he is the leader of nearly half of the British parliament…

Maybe somebody can explain them, a compromise is NOT the compromise, found at  the end in the U.K. House of Commons, but.. between the EU and the U.K. 

Just a 2 months left, and then… UK made cars are increased 10% when entering the EU because of import duty, so bye-bye British competition ( And Nissin-Sunderland, Honda - Swindon) . Same with UK meat; 12,5%, UK fresh vegetables and fruits: 4,7 %.

As the British are for 60+% depending on EU foods… pity them despite higher import taxes… as.. overseas transport will be even higher.

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So Brexiteers reached the ‘we’ll smash your windows’ stage of their adjustment to reality.

I’ll remind you:

The last pro-Brexit march mustered around 2500 Brexiteers.

The last pro-Remain march mustered around 700,000.

So what ? 

7 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Promises made by the leave campaign. Think it’s pretty well documented. Included a certain red bus. 

If you disagree, where is your evidence that people voted for a no-deal Brexit or May’s deal Brexit?

Lol - that bus again. You can't assume the Leavers are as gullible as you Remainers. Especially when it comes to believing a sticker on the side of a bus! Which bus made you choose Remain? After 40 years of the EU, we know what we voted for and why.

The evidence was written on the ballot sheet. No-deals, no-soft exit, no Theresa May capitulation, no options - just Leave.

11 hours ago, Grouse said:

I kid you not. After years of putting up with British yobbish behaviour, Brexit would be the last straw for me. Skinheads, football hooligans, chavs, laddish behaviour, drunkenness, drinking and eating in the street, it's just too embarrassing. Not everywhere of course; their are still some decent places like Winchester, Harrogate, York, Cambridge but the country has gone to the dogs. I viewed EU membership as a positive social and cultural influence. I guess people just don't understand. I hope for the best but have already planned for the worst. My parachute is packed. Enjoy your celebrity culture, sports stars and grinding poverty. 

How Ironic that the places you mention are conservative strongholds and quite affluent places and I thought you were a labour man and federalist. These places are very much strong monarchists. Very hypocritical.

York and Harrogate narrowly voted remain.

Some people believe the country went to the dogs when we were tricked and conned into joining the EEC and then EU.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:26 PM, Somtamnication said:

God, let's get going with this. Got a bottle of Champagne ready for March 29! No more EU shackles!

ive never been shackled in 50 years,maybe you live in a different UK,please explain,maybe those migrants in calais are shackled by the EU shackles you speak of hence they are prepared to die to get here to abuse our asylum seekers privilages as they are far better than anything in france and germany as the UK govts passed their own laws to make sure they were lavished with benefits even brits cannot get their hands on,you certainly aint gonna be better off in the pocket or morally,recession and JC will see to that

14 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

How Ironic that the places you mention are conservative strongholds and quite affluent places and I thought you were a labour man and federalist. These places are very much strong monarchists. Very hypocritical.

York and Harrogate narrowly voted remain.

Some people believe the country went to the dogs when we were tricked and conned into joining the EEC and then EU.

i havent a clue what happened in the 70s and joining the EU OR EEC i was in infant and junior school,i grew up left school,worked and barely took any notice of it as everything seemed and was just fine,then all of a sudden BANG and all these people blamed the EU for anything and everything they could think of,there has been 99.99% more damage done to the UK by UK goverments (mainly labour) than anything the EU has ever done,oh you can also add the US goverment to the list,that makes 2 countries,the 26 EU members have done nowt to the UK,other than spain being a nuisance over Gibraltar now and then,nee big worry tbh

12 minutes ago, bomber said:

i havent a clue what happened in the 70s and joining the EU OR EEC i was in infant and junior school,i grew up left school,worked and barely took any notice of it as everything seemed and was just fine,then all of a sudden BANG and all these people blamed the EU for anything and everything they could think of,there has been 99.99% more damage done to the UK by UK goverments (mainly labour) than anything the EU has ever done,oh you can also add the US goverment to the list,that makes 2 countries,the 26 EU members have done nowt to the UK,other than spain being a nuisance over Gibraltar now and then,nee big worry tbh

I grew up in the 1970s but always took an interest in politics. The problem with the EU for my point is the lack of transparency, the closed shop and protectionist mentality and then start claiming you are a racist if you don't support the EU. they want countries to denounce their heritage and nationality for a federal Europe. wee tried it the EU way for 4o plus years and we have chosen to leave. On good terms if possible. The problem with the EU is they want to punish the UK for leaving. the British people will not forget or forgive them. I can see this happening more and more.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/13/wetherspoons-to-sell-more-non-eu-drinks-in-run-up-to-brexit

9 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I grew up in the 1970s but always took an interest in politics. The problem with the EU for my point is the lack of transparency, the closed shop and protectionist mentality and then start claiming you are a racist if you don't support the EU. they want countries to denounce their heritage and nationality for a federal Europe. wee tried it the EU way for 4o plus years and we have chosen to leave. On good terms if possible. The problem with the EU is they want to punish the UK for leaving. the British people will not forget or forgive them. I can see this happening more and more.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/13/wetherspoons-to-sell-more-non-eu-drinks-in-run-up-to-brexit

Spoonies and brexit go hand in hand...26 other countries seem to manage quite alright as their heritage isnt affected one iota,that is just what you want to believe,same same you think they want to punish us,its been rammed into you in spoonies and you have fallen for it at least you can punish them germans back by drinking spitfire instead of champagne..we now need them to built our tanks for us...good masters are them germans

19 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

BAE Systems sells control of vehicles arm to Rheinmetall - BBC News

25 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The same old emotion laden, factless Brexit nonsense.

’Denounce your heritage’

Utter hogwash.

10 minutes ago, bomber said:

Spoonies and brexit go hand in hand...26 other countries seem to manage quite alright as their heritage isnt affected one iota,that is just what you want to believe,same same you think they want to punish us,its been rammed into you in spoonies and you have fallen for it at least you can punish them germans back by drinking spitfire instead of champagne..we now need them to built our tanks for us...good masters are them germans

So you are generalising that all those who are Brexiteers drink in Whetherspoons are you? Please show the evidence for that. I can't wait to see it.

So here is the evidence that the EU want to punish the UK for Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-talks-senior-german-mep-eu-negotiators-punish-britain-hans-olaf-henkel-theresa-may-michel-a7848221.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/22/eu-wants-punish-britain-having-audacity-vote-brexit-liam-fox/

https://news.sky.com/story/leaked-eu-document-shows-brexit-punishment-plan-11239487

I could go on but my points made. Not by hear say from listening to gossip from where ever.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The same old emotion laden, factless Brexit nonsense.

’Denounce your heritage’

Utter hogwash.

You need to take a chill pill. See post 106 as you are talking out of your gluteus maximus.

Denounce your heritage!!!!!!!! Please keep off the sauce as it is too early. You are making a fool of yourself.

30 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So you are generalising that all those who are Brexiteers drink in Whetherspoons are you? Please show the evidence for that. I can't wait to see it.

So here is the evidence that the EU want to punish the UK for Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-talks-senior-german-mep-eu-negotiators-punish-britain-hans-olaf-henkel-theresa-may-michel-a7848221.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/22/eu-wants-punish-britain-having-audacity-vote-brexit-liam-fox/

https://news.sky.com/story/leaked-eu-document-shows-brexit-punishment-plan-11239487

I could go on but my points made. Not by hear say from listening to gossip from where ever.

If think the EU are punishing the UK you’re going to be thrilled to bits by the Rogerring the UK will get when it goes begging ‘cap in hand’ for trade deals with the US.

And that’s just the warm up, India and China are going to ‘pleasure’ the UK in ways you’ll struggle to imagine.

Enjoy!

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You need to take a chill pill. See post 106 as you are talking out of your gluteus maximus.

Denounce your heritage!!!!!!!! Please keep off the sauce as it is too early. You are making a fool of yourself.

It was you who introduced denouncing heritage into the discussion.

Doh!

45 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The problem with the EU is they want to punish the UK for leaving.

More conspiracy theory hogwash from

those who are known for their lies and manipulation. There is no piece of legislation the EU could use to punish the UK. You could trigger A50 and hide under a rock for two years and there’s nothing the EU could do.  

Complete out of reality nonsense you’re talking. 

18 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Brexiteers are anti-democratic. They manipulate polls and try to circumvent the parliamentary representative democracy we have using those manipulated polls. 

Perhaps I could point out that "parliamentary representative democracy" has 650 seats in The House of Commons. 562 of those seats were won, in the last general election (subsequent to the referendum) by parties (Labour and Conservative) which campaigned specifically with manifestos declaring that they would enact the decision made in the referendum. The party which campaigned on a manifesto declaring it would overturn the referendum result (The Liberal Democrats) won 11 seats. 

9 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

More conspiracy theory hogwash from

those who are known for their lies and manipulation. There is no piece of legislation the EU could use to punish the UK. You could trigger A50 and hide under a rock for two years and there’s nothing the EU could do.  

Complete out of reality nonsense you’re talking. 

Once again see post 106. I could give many articles written on this and even the EU have stated it. Hardly a conspiracy theory. It would seem some people just bury their heads in the sand.

1 minute ago, JAG said:

Perhaps I could point out that "parliamentary representative democracy" has 650 seats in The House of Commons. 562 of those seats were won, in the last general election (subsequent to the referendum) by parties (Labour and Conservative) which campaigned specifically with manifestos declaring that they would enact the decision made in the referendum. The party which campaigned on a manifesto declaring it would overturn the referendum result won 11 seats. 

And those 650 seats are free to decide whatever they personally deem the best for their country, not what Brexiteers claim they must. 

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Once again see post 106. I could give many articles written on this and even the EU have stated it. Hardly a conspiracy theory. It would seem some people just bury their heads in the sand.

There is no legislation that would give the EU a way to punish the UK. You fail to provide any evidence that there is. Your post 106 doesn’t. Get real and read the laws.

12 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Still… he is the leader of nearly half of the British parliament…

Maybe somebody can explain them, a compromise is NOT the compromise, found at  the end in the U.K. House of Commons, but.. between the EU and the U.K. 

The House of Commons has 650 seats. Under Mr Corbyn's leadership Labour won 232 seats. The Conservatives won 317 - by any measure rather a lot more! 

I'm no mathematician but 232 is a long way short of half of the seats in The House of Commons. It is a little bit more than a third... 

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

There is no legislation that would give the EU a way to punish the UK. You fail to provide any evidence that there is. Your post 106 doesn’t. Get real and read the laws.

13 minutes ago, JAG said:

Perhaps I could point out that "parliamentary representative democracy" has 650 seats in The House of Commons. 562 of those seats were won, in the last general election (subsequent to the referendum) by parties (Labour and Conservative) which campaigned specifically with manifestos declaring that they would enact the decision made in the referendum. The party which campaigned on a manifesto declaring it would overturn the referendum result (The Liberal Democrats) won 11 seats. 

7 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

And those 650 seats are free to decide whatever they personally deem the best for their country, not what Brexiteers claim they must. 

Which does rather make a mockery of the claim (your claim) that they are a "parliamentary representative democracy". 

It is not what Brexiteers claim they must do, rather that they have, by constitutional convention, a responsibility to carry out the manifesto on which they (both parties) were elected. 

37 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes, you are literally correct

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39665835

But MPs are free to change their opinions as their understanding changes and conditions change, as are we all. I was interested to note that Labour MPs were "ordered" to agree to A50 (presumably against their better judgement?)

This piece elegantly explains the position

http://theconversation.com/making-big-manifesto-promises-is-unethical-and-can-be-disastrous-for-politicians-78650

Archived