Chiang Mai number one for smokers in the world?

puukao

Nothing like sitting down to eat and 100 people are smoking and blowing smoke in your 4-month old baby's face, laughing.  

Or waking up to a room filled with smoke from the 10,000 smokers who live next door.

Or the 100 people who are talking about saving the planet while smoking and having everyone less happy from their decision.

I know it's an addiction, so the people killing themselves and destroying the air aren't really bad people.

Just tell me other cities are not worse than CM.

Maybe BKK and Pattaya are worse, but maybe CM is the worst in the entire universe.   Yes, I know china and s. korea has a reputation of enjoying a few zillion cigarettes an hour.  

Does this not bother anyone else?    

Mind if I smoke?  Mind if I fart?  

For me CM is a very clean place regarding cigarettes and "second hand" smoke... I cannot remember of anyone smoking inside a restaurant or even a bar serving food...

Agree with the people wanting to save the world and complaining about the burn season while smoking and riding their scooters

CM is nothing like china or korea regarding smokers in your face, anywhere and everywhere.  

Wait till more chinese arrive in CM, then you will learn.

My chinese friend told me that since both mao ze tung and zhou en lai were great men, and great smokers (both died of lung cancer) therefore smoking is a time honored tradition in china. Rather like the muslim men who maintain that since muhammed dumped fragrant water all over his unwashed body, the current crop of muslim men find that stinking up the place with artificial personal  chemical smells is very fine and in keeping with 'holy' tradition. 

26 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

CM is nothing like china or korea regarding smokers in your face, anywhere and everywhere.  

Wait till more chinese arrive in CM, then you will learn.

My chinese friend told me that since both mao ze tung and zhou en lai were great men, and great smokers (both died of lung cancer) therefore smoking is a time honored tradition in china. Rather like the muslim men who maintain that since muhammed dumped fragrant water all over his unwashed body, the current crop of muslim men find that stinking up the place with artificial personal  chemical smells is very fine and in keeping with 'holy' tradition. 

Try Japan... EVERYBODY  smokes

This has to be a troll post.  If there is one policy that I would congratulate successive Thai governments on enforcing across the board, it's anti-smoking.  OK, maybe not in the countryside where I guess it's almost impossible to police, but cities, public transport, parks, hospitals, schools are all better than countless other countries - Greece, Italy, France, China, Vietnam, the list goes on...

In the unlikely event that it's not just a dumb troll post, maybe the OP would care to name the places filled with smokers that he's complaining about. 

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

This has to be a troll post.  If there is one policy that I would congratulate successive Thai governments on enforcing across the board, it's anti-smoking.  OK, maybe not in the countryside where I guess it's almost impossible to police, but cities, public transport, parks, hospitals, schools are all better than countless other countries - Greece, Italy, France, China, Vietnam, the list goes on...

In the unlikely event that it's not just a dumb troll post, maybe the OP would care to name the places filled with smokers that he's complaining about. 

I agree. Government has made good efforts in curbing where smokers can and cannot smoke. A lot better than most other countries. 

Been in CM 4 months and one of the things that shocked me was the amount of young westerners who smoke, coming from the UK where you don't really see it that much these days (£10, 400 baht a packet maybe the reason). I had forgot that awful smell on your clothes after a night out, stinging eyes, nausea etc. I now only frequent places that have separate smoking areas (outside). As a rule the cheaper the establishment then the more likely smoking will be allowed.

I assume there are more smokers here because it is inexpensive. One can get a carton of fags at Mae Sai for about 150 baht. Contrast that with Australia, where a single packet of the cheapest brand will set a smoker back 500 baht.

The way to kill off smoking is to make it just too expensive with taxation. Which is only fair, because smokers clog up the health system with lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease and strokes.

I have recently returned to Thailand after a 12 month away.

I am pleasantly surprised that so many LESS appear to be smoking here in Phitsanulok.

Not sure what it like in other centres, but much improved here.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I assume there are more smokers here because it is inexpensive. One can get a carton of fags at Mae Sai for about 150 baht. Contrast that with Australia, where a single packet of the cheapest brand will set a smoker back 500 baht.

The way to kill off smoking is to make it just too expensive with taxation. Which is only fair, because smokers clog up the health system with lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease and strokes.

Not only smokers live or die with lung cancer of COPD and stroke heart disease, yes smoking increase the risk , but not all people with those conditions are or were smokers

27 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Not only smokers live or die with lung cancer of COPD and stroke heart disease, yes smoking increase the risk , but not all people with those conditions are or were smokers

The statistics say you are 20 times more likely to die of lung cancer than a non-smoker. Want to argue with that?

I was looking for lodging on the east coast of Japan, a country I had never visited but where I was invited by my new girlfriend. I came across one hotel that said on their Web site: "We do not have 'No Smoking' rooms. Don't even ask." It made me smile. I smoke a pipe. Have for 57 years. Doc says perfect lungs.

10 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

I was looking for lodging on the east coast of Japan, a country I had never visited but where I was invited by my new girlfriend. I came across one hotel that said on their Web site: "We do not have 'No Smoking' rooms. Don't even ask." It made me smile. I smoke a pipe. Have for 57 years. Doc says perfect lungs.

Which proves exactly nothing. Statistically, you are an outlier. Although with a pipe, you have elevated your chances of mouth cancer.

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

I smoke a pipe. Have for 57 years. Doc says perfect lungs.

My father was an Oral Surgeon. Taught at Mt. Sinai Hospital and NYU as well. I remember a discussion with him about pipe smoking, and the relevant photos that he showed to us of lip cancer, gum cancer, throat cancer, and tongue cancer, caused by both pipe smoking and chewing tobacco.  People with half a face can still live 'almost' normal lives...

Have you ever been to China? Low cost cigarettes government owned. 

Once a custom had problems and I had to try help solve them. Sat

in his office barely enough room for two. In the winter and very

cold window open. We sat there two days all day and he Chain smoked.... guess it was my punishment.

Smokers (I am but not at the China meeting) need to think about others all the time 

On 1/21/2019 at 10:25 AM, Greenside said:

I have done troll posts before, YES.  However, not in this case.  I did try to add some humor in order to encourage responses.  I am surprised that I am the minority.  Calling my post "dumb" isn't very nice, and I am curious why you need to attack me in this manner.  Did you come to Thailand to be nice to people, but gave up any decency?  

Do you like calling others dumb because you are trolling?

Are you personally attacking everyone, or only online?

It's a shame your manners are extremely poor.  Please tell us all about your life, and then we may find the answer for such attacks.  

5 weeks in CM last summer:

One time an Asia couple lit up inside a restaurant (roof, open on one side and front).

I was leaving but mentioned it to the cashier who apologized and said he hadn't noticed that, which was possible.

Otherwise, no problem at all with smoke where it is not allowed there.

I was impressed.

Actually - 3 months total in Asia last summer, that is the only incident of smoking in a No Smoking area.

I was impressed.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:52 AM, aremesal said:

For me CM is a very clean place regarding cigarettes and "second hand" smoke... I cannot remember of anyone smoking inside a restaurant or even a bar serving food...

Agree with the people wanting to save the world and complaining about the burn season while smoking and riding their scooters

And don't forget the mask they wear... 

From my experience, the number of smokers are much less in Thailand than other Asian countries.

The well-uniformed smokers who smoke in Thailand are actually tourists from China and Korea. I once lived next door to a Korean and he puffs several times per day even though he's not supposed to do so inside a hotel.

That said, it is usually the Thai construction workers that smoke heavily, educated office workers usually don't smoke.

Archived