BANGKOK 26 March 2019 23:30
puukao

Chiang Mai number one for smokers in the world?

Nothing like sitting down to eat and 100 people are smoking and blowing smoke in your 4-month old baby's face, laughing.  

Or waking up to a room filled with smoke from the 10,000 smokers who live next door.

Or the 100 people who are talking about saving the planet while smoking and having everyone less happy from their decision.

I know it's an addiction, so the people killing themselves and destroying the air aren't really bad people.

Just tell me other cities are not worse than CM.

Maybe BKK and Pattaya are worse, but maybe CM is the worst in the entire universe.   Yes, I know china and s. korea has a reputation of enjoying a few zillion cigarettes an hour.  

Does this not bother anyone else?    

Mind if I smoke?  Mind if I fart?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

For me CM is a very clean place regarding cigarettes and "second hand" smoke... I cannot remember of anyone smoking inside a restaurant or even a bar serving food...

Agree with the people wanting to save the world and complaining about the burn season while smoking and riding their scooters

CM is nothing like china or korea regarding smokers in your face, anywhere and everywhere.  

Wait till more chinese arrive in CM, then you will learn.

My chinese friend told me that since both mao ze tung and zhou en lai were great men, and great smokers (both died of lung cancer) therefore smoking is a time honored tradition in china. Rather like the muslim men who maintain that since muhammed dumped fragrant water all over his unwashed body, the current crop of muslim men find that stinking up the place with artificial personal  chemical smells is very fine and in keeping with 'holy' tradition. 

• Haha 1

I quit smoking 35 years ago. It was the best decision that I had ever made.

Screw you Big Tobacco! LOL:

smoking_01.jpg

26 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

CM is nothing like china or korea regarding smokers in your face, anywhere and everywhere.  

Wait till more chinese arrive in CM, then you will learn.

My chinese friend told me that since both mao ze tung and zhou en lai were great men, and great smokers (both died of lung cancer) therefore smoking is a time honored tradition in china. Rather like the muslim men who maintain that since muhammed dumped fragrant water all over his unwashed body, the current crop of muslim men find that stinking up the place with artificial personal  chemical smells is very fine and in keeping with 'holy' tradition. 

Try Japan... EVERYBODY  smokes

Edited by sharktooth

Dont they say a cigarette is a pipe with a fire at one end and a fool at t'other

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

This has to be a troll post.  If there is one policy that I would congratulate successive Thai governments on enforcing across the board, it's anti-smoking.  OK, maybe not in the countryside where I guess it's almost impossible to police, but cities, public transport, parks, hospitals, schools are all better than countless other countries - Greece, Italy, France, China, Vietnam, the list goes on...

In the unlikely event that it's not just a dumb troll post, maybe the OP would care to name the places filled with smokers that he's complaining about. 

I agree. Government has made good efforts in curbing where smokers can and cannot smoke. A lot better than most other countries. 

• Like 2

Been in CM 4 months and one of the things that shocked me was the amount of young westerners who smoke, coming from the UK where you don't really see it that much these days (£10, 400 baht a packet maybe the reason). I had forgot that awful smell on your clothes after a night out, stinging eyes, nausea etc. I now only frequent places that have separate smoking areas (outside). As a rule the cheaper the establishment then the more likely smoking will be allowed.

• Like 1

I like Kiss in Pattaya,the smokers stand just outside of the tables and the smoke blows into the diners.