What part might be broken on this laptop screen?

4evermaat

I have an older eMachines d732 laptop that a friend said suddenly didn't work anymore.  After inspection I noticed that the laptop powers on, but the screen is mostly grey without a discernible image.   I then plug an external monitor in and that displays the desktop just fine.  So I've deduced something to do with the laptop screen internals is busted.    

Is it the backlight?  inverter board? Something else?  i'm not sure the name of the part.  Any ideas?  Here is a photo:

D732_laptop_screen_bad_P_20190120_190842.jpg.0685d46ef3feada2f9ca5d9d26dbf1ab.jpg

Thanks.

Perhaps any or a combo of what you asked about.

Don't forget the cable and it's connect to the mobo.

Regardless, it is beyond your ability to repair.

No offense intended.

Worth pursuing, where?, I don't know.

Shine a flashlight on the laptop screen when it's on and see if you can make out the colors.  If so, it's probably the backlight, which is not so easy to replace, and it's usually better to just replace the whole screen.  I did that on 2 older laptops buying the used screens from EBay for peanuts.  In Thailand, I'd just take it into some place like Pantip or Fortune Town and let someone else enjoy messing with the teenie tiny screws.

If  you  need  a new  screen ,direct from China as per manufacturers  originaI I  highly recommend this  co, heres  their email   [email protected]

Ordered  a  dell xps 13  touchscreen for just 4400 baht, even came branded  with  DEll  on the  lid.

Still working 2  years  later, fitted  it myself

13 hours ago, kannot said:

If  you  need  a new  screen ,direct from China as per manufacturers  originaI I  highly recommend this  co, heres  their email   [email protected]

Ordered  a  dell xps 13  touchscreen for just 4400 baht, even came branded  with  DEll  on the  lid.

Still working 2  years  later, fitted  it myself

Please if you would please post the URL of above co?

I am cautious of blindly sending an email to an unknown in China.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:46 AM, steve187 said:

just take it to a repair centre and get a price, then work out if its worth the trouble, my view on old technology is repair one thing, then another goes wrong.

Old technology?? What are you talking? ???? Perhaps you mean "older device".

Anyway, dependent on the OP's location, they can take it to the official service centre. That would be ACER. 

https://static.acer.com/up/Resource/Acer/Docs/TH/20180306/20180306_Acer_authorized_service.pdf

https://www.acer.com/ac/th/TH/content/service3

So he can find out the cost for them to fit the screen that you intend to purchase, unless he intends to fit it himself.

After visiting a few shops and several youtube videos, the conclusion is that the LED screen is bad.  A used one is 1200 (very hard to find) and new one is 2-2500 baht depending on the local shop. 

Advice wants 900 to install.  Maybe i might take a crack at it myself or let the local guy do it for 300-400 baht. 

6 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

After visiting a few shops and several youtube videos, the conclusion is that the LED screen is bad.  A used one is 1200 (very hard to find) and new one is 2-2500 baht depending on the local shop. 

Advice wants 900 to install.  Maybe i might take a crack at it myself or let the local guy do it for 300-400 baht. 

Anyway, dependent on the OP's location, they can take it to the official service centre. That would be ACER. 

https://static.acer.com/up/Resource/Acer/Docs/TH/20180306/20180306_Acer_authorized_service.pdf

https://www.acer.com/ac/th/TH/content/service3

So he can find out the cost for them to fit the screen that you intend to purchase, unless he intends to fit it himself.

If the local guy breaks it or something else within the laptop, you'll have little recourse.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:31 PM, howto said:

Please if you would please post the URL of above co?

I am cautious of blindly sending an email to an unknown in China.

They dont have one, I was  wary but they did advertise on Amazon ( safe) and when there was a  probem they answered  quickly and sorted it  out. DEll  wanted about £400 as it  was a  HD  Touchscreen the most expensive, I paid  about  £120 delivered to Thailand with  no  import taxes, matched original in everyway even branded  Dell.

Here is their ad 

https://www.amazon.com/Kreplacement-Screen-Replacement-Assembly-Display/dp/B012SRB22M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548534375&sr=8-3&keywords=laptop+screen+replacement+dell+xps+13

Archived