Suggestions & help for preparing to move to Thailand in 1 year

Jimlim

Hello good people living in Thailand already. I am ready to make Thailand my semi-retirement home.  Thinking within 1 year from now, January 2020.  I would like help for guidance for finding good realtor, health insurance, attorney for property transfer buying & purchasing land and also a good primary doctor. 

I am thinking to live somewhere near Hua Hin, Prachup Khiri Khan area. My interest are farming & teaching. I love Thailand, and want to come here help in my retirement age. Thank you for your input.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Well unless you are a Thai national you cannot buy land.

Makes sure of your reporting requirements 

Try to learn someThai language and script 

Make sure you have health insurance before arriving

Make sure about Opening  Thai bank account 

good luck

Just now, Jimlim said:

Thank you, RJR. I am a Thai citizen. I just got it last year after have gone moved to America with my mother & step-dad over 40+years ago. I was born in Thailand.  Now, I am ready to move back to give back what I can. I do have some Thai cousins, but they do not have farang experience dealing with moving to Thailand. I just wanted to be prepared.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aquaman2016 said:

If you can speak and write Thai I would be less inclined to use a realtor or lawyer. There are plenty of small farms for sale to the Thai market, but no so much to the Farang market. Using a realtor will up the price as will using a lawyer if it is a straightforward land sale. Obviously the further inland you move in the Hua Hin area, the cheaper it gets.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Just now, Jimlim said:

Hello Aquaman2016, Thank you for your input. I can only read & write Thai 6th grade, maybe.  When it comes to real estate or legal matters, I'd rather pay now than later. If you know what I mean?  I am too old to for the legal head ache. I've been there & done that.

• Like 1

Just now, Jimlim said:

Thank you Grollies,

I don't know quite yet about the farm, but I was born in Saraburi, a rice farmer family. I don't want to farm for profit, but personal use & maybe have enough to share. 

• Like 1

if ur thai, forget the realtor option.

land where ur talking about is NOT CHEAP
if ur considering farming head back home,(Saraburi) and ask around with ur relatives.   They will find you a much better deal

If ur thai u can get the 30 baht medical card

Are you moving alone or do u have a SO?

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, phuketrichard said:

if ur thai, forget the realtor option.

land where ur talking about is NOT CHEAP
if ur considering farming head back home,(Saraburi) and ask around with ur relatives.   They will find you a much better deal

If ur thai u can get the 30 baht medical card

Are you moving alone or do u have a SO?

Hello Phuketrichard,

Thank you for you helpful advice. I appreciate it.

Saraburi was my birth place, but I like Hua Hin area better.  However, like other's advisor said, I should rent for a bit before I buy & that is what I intended to do.

I don't plan to do a big farming to make income, but more for hobby & maybe give away to the locals families.  There are going to be 2 of us & maybe more moving with me.   

Thanks again,

Jimlim

On 1/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, dotpoom said:

I came to Thailand 18 yes. ago for a 3 day convention at the age of 51. Loved the place...went back home,... sold my house, gave up my job and moved here within 3 months. Have been here ever since.

My motto in life .."Keep it simple".

On 1/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, dotpoom said:

I came to Thailand 18 yes. ago for a 3 day convention at the age of 51. Loved the place...went back home,... sold my house, gave up my job and moved here within 3 months. Have been here ever since.

My motto in life .."Keep it simple".

Hello Dotpoom,

???? Thank you!  I appreciate your input. I am ready to slow down to smell the roses. 

I am moving back to Thailand with 2 farang friends. They will need my help with the visa. They are also retirement age with nursing background hoping to be useful here in Thailand where we will be making our home. 

Maybe you could give me more guidance about getting their visa to stay. 

Thanks again,

Jimlim

On 1/23/2019 at 12:29 AM, steve187 said:

are you in a house book and do you have a Thai id card.

Dear Steve187,

I have a Thai I'd card, but I don't understand what you meant, " are you in a house book?"

Maybe you meant, do I have registered my address in a family household? Yes, last year when I got my Thai i.d. card, I had to have a registered resident address.

I appreciate you questions, and thank you!

Jimlim

21 hours ago, Jimlim said:

Dear Steve187,

I have a Thai I'd card, but I don't understand what you meant, " are you in a house book?"

Maybe you meant, do I have registered my address in a family household? Yes, last year when I got my Thai i.d. card, I had to have a registered resident address.

I appreciate you questions, and thank you!

Jimlim

that's what i meant, good luck with the plans for your move

Be sure to enter Thailand using your Thai passport.  I have a dual national Thai friend who made the mistake of presenting his U.S. passport when entering the country and kept doing retirement extensions for several years.  He was denied access to the Thai medical system even though he had a Thai I.D. and was listed in the house book of his sister.  He had to make a short trip to out of Thailand and switch passports in order to be accepted by medical providers and save himself a fortune for his kidney dialysis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be sure to enter Thailand using your Thai passport.  I have a dual national Thai friend who made the mistake of presenting his U.S. passport when entering the country and kept doing retirement extensions for several years.  He was denied access to the Thai medical system even though he had a Thai I.D. and was listed in the house book of his sister.  He had to make a short trip to out of Thailand and switch passports in order to be accepted by medical providers and save himself a fortune for his kidney dialysis.

Great advice. I believe that one has to fly out and back into the Thailand in order to switch passports - it cannot be done via ground based border runs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Great advice. I believe that one has to fly out and back into the Thailand in order to switch passports - it cannot be done via ground based border runs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I believe that's right.  My friend flew to KL.

Dear Nancy,

Thank you for your advice. I was wondering about that, since I just got my Thai I.d. this last year November 2018. I came into Thailand with a US passport, and have not got yet a Thai passport. 

Now, I have to think about contacting the Thai embassy in Los Angeles, California about acquiring the Thai passport before moving back to Thailand. 

Thank you so much! Such a super helpful advice. I can feel such kindness in this forum. 

Jimlim 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

he is Thai, so in Vietnam he would be a foreigner, do you like it in Vietnam.

Thank you Steve187,

Lipflipper didn't read all my comments like you did Steve187.  My reasons to move to thailand are much more personal than just countries hopping.