Video: Chiang Mai police set to throw the book at cop who took bribe from Chinese tourist

webfact

Video: Chiang Mai police set to throw the book at cop who took bribe from Chinese tourist

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The head of Chiang Mai's traffic police has ordered the immediate transfer of a traffic cop caught pocketing 200 baht from a Chinese tourist for taking the clamp off an illegally parked rented motorcycle. 

Though an investigation is underway Pol Col Thapanaphong Chairangsee indicated that the evidence was clear. 

The video, filmed secretly from within a shop, showed the cop unclamp the tourist's bike then take the money and the ticket back. Thus the tourist did not need to go to the station to pay the fine according to official protocols. 

Pol Col Thapanaphong said it happened on Saturday evening outside Wat Chedi Luang Woriharn in Muang district where there is a red and white no parking zone. 

He said he had told his men time and again - no bribe taking. The officer concerned has been transferred to clerical duties and will face internal disciplinary measures as prescribed by the force. 

Daily News said the clip was widely shared on Chiang Mai social media bringing shame to the force.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-21

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy. Transferring him to a desk, where he still keeps his job, still keeps his pay packet. That'll send a tough message to others. 

We can expect to see corruption drop to zero with that sort of punishment...

Terrible simply terrible....... A policeman taking a bribe????????

What ever next????? I am totally shocking, seeing.that a policeman could do such a thing.

There was me thinking that all police here were honest, stand up people.:cheesy:

Just now, SammyT said:

Oh boy. Transferring him to an inactive post, where he still keeps his job, still keeps his pay packet. That'll send a tough message to others. 

Their pay ain't squat. I knew one of the upper muckety mucks in the Pattaya police force who got taken out of the bribe trough due to politics. He lost his cars, his wife, and anything else he could pawn.

Letting him stay on the payroll is hardly what I would call throwing the book at him. Sack him and charge him with a criminal offence, leaving him sat in a jail cell is more what I think would be appropriate. At that point others, might pay attention. Corruption being so ingrained in them, probably not though.

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

The officer concerned has been transferred to clerical duties

Until things blow over,he will be in real trouble if he has

not been sharing the takings,that will be the real crime.

regards worgeordie

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

The officer concerned has been transferred to clerical duties and will face internal disciplinary measures as prescribed by the force. 

I'd demote him to chief tea brewer down at the station. A just and ironic punishment

I wonder how many of you would refuse if he offered to unchain your bike and lose the ticket for 200 baht?

I'd have bitten his hand off and have done on numerous occasions.

One of the positives of living in Thailand. In the UK it would have cost north of 7000 baht and a lot of hassle.

The guy was just doing his bit to show a smiley face to a Chinese tourist. I thought that was what they were supposed to do.

They don't make that much money and he saved the Chinese guy from going to the police station which is a hassle. What is the fricken big deal? I do not applaud the video or the idiot who took it and put on social media. Too much of this and the system is going to come back and bite everyone in the face as it will be like a Western
System that has bigger consequences. Chinese guy was wrong, he paid a tidily 200baht. 

I'm sure it was all a misunderstanding and the fine upstanding officer momentarily caught off guard by the Chinese tourists offer to contribute to the Police Windows and Orphans Fund as a show of gratitude for the outstanding work the RTP do protecting Chinese visitors.

47 minutes ago, neeray said:

Salute to the upstanding citizen who took the video. Hope there are no repercussions.

I reckon it was a set up by the chinese!   - the way he openly flailed the notes around, making sure the camera captured it!

47 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I wonder how many of you would refuse if he offered to unchain your bike and lose the ticket for 200 baht?

I'd have bitten his hand off and have done on numerous occasions.

One of the positives of living in Thailand. In the UK it would have cost north of 7000 baht and a lot of hassle.

The guy was just doing his bit to show a smiley face to a Chinese tourist. I thought that was what they were supposed to do.

Fair comment. After the amount of speeding tickets I’ve had here I would have had my license confiscated a long time ago in UK.

15 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I'm sure it was all a misunderstanding and the fine upstanding officer momentarily caught off guard by the Chinese tourists offer to contribute to the Police Windows and Orphans Fund as a show of gratitude for the outstanding work the RTP do protecting Chinese visitors.

The police still using Windows?

27 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

He can just now join the "Bogus Police" going taxing Farang

The guy had his bike legitimately chained for parking in a "no parking" zone.

The cop offered him a cheaper, easier way out.

How is that "taxing farang"?

The only people that the cop was screwing over was the government, who didn't collect the parking fine. Considering the pitiful salaries they receive, I would say, "Som nam na".

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

The guy had his bike legitimately chained for parking in a "no parking" zone.

The cop offered him a cheaper, easier way out.

How is that "taxing farang"?

The only people that the cop was screwing over was the government, who didn't collect the parking fine. Considering the pitiful salaries they receive, I would say, "Som nam na".

I did say join the Bogus Police have you never come across them yet?

1 minute ago, anterian said:

His crime was not taking the bribe, it was being seen taking the bribe.

True. It wasn't a bribe though, it was a token of appreciation from the Chinese tourist for acting above and beyond the call of duty.

If every cop that did this as taken off the streets, there'd be no cops left in Thailand. All of this will blow over in a couple of weeks and he'll be back on the beat. Just Thai "face" in action.

Archived