BANGKOK 25 March 2019 17:24
webfact

Video: Chiang Mai police set to throw the book at cop who took bribe from Chinese tourist

check back next week,.... he will be out there doing same job

• Like 1

Endemic corruption. The honest ones soon find out they are surrounded by greed, by self-protecting cronies and the futility of honesty.

Having witnessed so much, I am thankful I am just a long-term, passing through.

Cop caught with hand in Cookie Jar, given “light duties” , should be given Jail Time !

6 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Fair comment. After the amount of speeding tickets I’ve had here I would have had my license confiscated a long time ago in UK.

Well stop speeding then and endangering yours and other lives

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

Oh boy. Transferring him to a desk, where he still keeps his job, still keeps his pay packet. That'll send a tough message to others. 

We can expect to see corruption drop to zero with that sort of punishment...

You don't understand. He has been removed from the chain of 'donations' that the generous public so willing give to the police as his punishment for 'freelancing'. Corruption is apparently not a crime in Thailand, otherwise he would have been arrested and charged instead of being given a desk job.

..how many books does this country have.

The senior police are still waiting to find somebody that has enough energy to throw the book, so he should be safe.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

Oh boy. Transferring him to a desk, where he still keeps his job, still keeps his pay packet. That'll send a tough message to others. 

We can expect to see corruption drop to zero with that sort of punishment...

Did you finish reading? ''and will face internal disciplinary measures as prescribed by the force.''  

• Haha 1

This is Thailand!  Of course, the person who took the video will be punished!  In Thailand, the wrongdoer is not often punished!  Persecution of the messenger is mandatory.  

I am sure that a similar video can be taken every day but a wise Thai deletes it!

Well, according to folkguitar, Thai police don't behave like this. It must be a misunderstanding.

Anywhere else he would get fired immediately with a dishonourable discharge; once they introduce this here, there might be hope for change ......... read correctly "might"! 

11 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Fair comment. After the amount of speeding tickets I’ve had here I would have had my license confiscated a long time ago in UK.

I don't guess you've snapped the the correlation between diligent enforcement and risk of losing your license, with the low traffic fatality rate back home in the UK?   

Why don't you stop speeding before you kill someone?  C'mon... You don't need a cop to tell you you're putting innocent lives at risk.

I don't claim to understand all I saw in the video clip but I thought offenders were allowed to pay the cop for the fine or go to the station to pay it, at least for some offenses such as helmet violations. 

Also, unless the cop spoke Chinese or the tourist spoke Thai how were either to know that the tourist already knew the fine amount  and was simply paying it. How is it obvious this was meant as a bribe? 

I'm not defending or accusing  either of them, just curious. 

Luckily I have never been stopped or tried to bribe a Thai official. No doubt the day will come for the former and I might want then to consider the latter. Maybe I'm just naive. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't guess you've snapped the the correlation between diligent enforcement and risk of losing your license, with the low traffic fatality rate back home in the UK?   

Why don't you stop speeding before you kill someone?  C'mon... You don't need a cop to tell you you're putting innocent lives at risk.

If I don’t speed all the somchais overtake me.