Attention Deficit Disorder

Greenside

I have a 9 year old boy struggling in school. He has an evaluation from a Doctor whom I do not know which apparently states that he has ADHD or Autism or something like this. His mother says she does not know how to say in English. Does anyone know of a child Doctor who specializes in such things? We are in Pattaya. It is also worth mentioning that this little man has spent his whole education thus far in 5 different schools from a remote village to a city school. Help please!

2 hours ago, SpudIslander said:

I have a 9 year old boy struggling in school. He has an evaluation from a Doctor whom I do not know which apparently states that he has ADHD or Autism or something like this. His mother says she does not know how to say in English. Does anyone know of a child Doctor who specializes in such things? We are in Pattaya. It is also worth mentioning that this little man has spent his whole education thus far in 5 different schools from a remote village to a city school. Help please!

Getting the diagnosis right is quite important, especially given the background you mention - mistaking an emotional or adjustment issue with  autism or ADHD acan lead to inappropriate treatment, unnecessary medication etc.

i suggest you invest in a trip to Bangkok to have the child thoroughly evaluated at this hospital. It is located near Bang Na so nto a bad trip from Pattaya and you will nto find this same level of expertise any closer:

https://www.manarom.com/child_eng.html

Once there is a clear diagnosis and treatment plan you can see if follow up closer to home is possible but a really good assessment is the first step.

We have an appointment at the Child Development Centre in Mae Rim next month but I am pretty sure they will diagnose ADD - he has enough of the common symptoms as far as I can tell.  My purpose in posting was to get in touch with anyone in a similar situation where one of the parents is Thai.  Supporting an ADD child needs a coordinated effort from all the family and since there seems to be a lack of online help and explanation in Thai, I can see I may fall into the role of seeming to make all the decisions which I'd rather were shared.

Spudislander mentioned that his wife doesn't know how to describe his son's diagnosis in English and is at the heart of my problem too.  Even after getting my wife to read the scant ADD/ADHD articles I found online, discussing the implications and treatment strategy strains her English to the limit and is very much beyond my Thai skills.  It would be of so much more help for her to be able to talk with someone in a similar situation who can talk about it personally and from a Thai point of view.

28 minutes ago, Greenside said:

We have an appointment at the Child Development Centre in Mae Rim next month but I am pretty sure they will diagnose ADD - he has enough of the common symptoms as far as I can tell.  My purpose in posting was to get in touch with anyone in a similar situation where one of the parents is Thai.  Supporting an ADD child needs a coordinated effort from all the family and since there seems to be a lack of online help and explanation in Thai, I can see I may fall into the role of seeming to make all the decisions which I'd rather were shared.

Spudislander mentioned that his wife doesn't know how to describe his son's diagnosis in English and is at the heart of my problem too.  Even after getting my wife to read the scant ADD/ADHD articles I found online, discussing the implications and treatment strategy strains her English to the limit and is very much beyond my Thai skills.  It would be of so much more help for her to be able to talk with someone in a similar situation who can talk about it personally and from a Thai point of view.

Unfortunately support groups for any problem are not so common in Thailand, unlike the West. Soem Thais also have cultural issues with the concept.

If there is anything to be found I suspect it will be a Facebook group so maybe try a search on Facebook in Thai. Even if there is not a specific Facebook group, good chance she can find other parents of ADHD children that way.

I assume you have already seen this site

http://www.adhdthailand.com/

Archived