Very high LDL

jvs

No energy for at least a year so decided to get a check up.

Sometimes feeling a little dizzy so i tought maybe low bloodsugar around 5 pm.

I have a history of tinnitus and vertigo,this is getting worse.

Went to the hospital this morning and had a few tests done.

My BMI is 22 so not overweight.

My bloodsugar was 106 this morning and my doctor said it was not really too

bad for now,no real indication of diabetes yet.

blood pressure 143/89.

Now the bad news,HDL 86,LDL 291,this is really high!

I was giving Bestatin 20 mg.,Zoloft 25mg.

Appointment for next check-up in 3 months.

I do not smoke or drink and already avoid sugar.

Next no meat?No fried foods and no salt?(salt already very low)

Am i a walking timebomb?Should i get other tests done?

My grandfather died of a heart attack at sixty and my brother had bypass surgery

at 50(last year)

Any advice please?

When they took my blood sample this morning i nearly passed out

They gave me some ammoniak to sniff and after i ate something it got better.

30 minutes ago, jvs said:

My bloodsugar was 106 this morning and my doctor said it was not really too

bad for now,no real indication of diabetes yet.

If 106 is a result for fasting blood sugar then you're already in the prediabetic range (100-125 mg/dL). You need to get back under 100. Change of diet, exercise will do it. I was 113 a few years ago, 93 currently.

38 minutes ago, jvs said:

blood pressure 143/89.

A bit on the high side but mine is similar if they test me soon after I've walked ten minutes and up a flight of stairs to go see a doctor. It comes down to 124/68 when they hook me up and do a resting BP before a stress test. Get yourself a BP home monitor kit to test yourself at different times of the day. May come down a bit if you're more relaxed.

37 minutes ago, jvs said:

Now the bad news,HDL 86,LDL 291,this is really high!

That is a very high LDL (are sure it's not your total cholesterol number?).

For HDL 40-60 is normal and good. Only person I know with 80+ HDL takes four fish oil caps a day.

So you're not a drinker or smoker and your BMI is similar to mine. Any thyroid problems? What was your Total Cholesterol and your Triglyceride figure?

49 minutes ago, jvs said:

My grandfather died of a heart attack at sixty and my brother had bypass surgery

at 50(last year)

What happened to Your brother would worry me most. I was reading about David Letterman (US TV show host) the other day, and the story behind his quintuple bypass. Very high cholesterol level, a famous cigar smoker, but fit (a runner). Immediate family history was considered to be highly important. Letterman had been tested regularly because of this and it's what saved his life. He had been for a run the day before his emergency operation.

2 minutes ago, kkerry said:

If 106 is a result for fasting blood sugar then you're already in the prediabetic range (100-125 mg/dL). You need to get back under 100. Change of diet, exercise will do it. I was 113 a few years ago, 93 currently.

A bit on the high side but mine is similar if they test me soon after I've walked ten minutes and up a flight of stairs to go see a doctor. It comes down to 124/68 when they hook me up and do a resting BP before a stress test. Get yourself a BP home monitor kit to test yourself at different times of the day. May come down a bit if you're more relaxed.

That is a very high LDL (are sure it's not your total cholesterol number?).

For HDL 40-60 is normal and good. Only person I know with 80+ HDL takes four fish oil caps a day.

So you're not a drinker or smoker and your BMI is similar to mine. Any thyroid problems? What was your Total Cholesterol and your Triglyceride figure?

What happened to Your brother would worry me most. I was reading about David Letterman (US TV show host) the other day, and the story behind his quintuple bypass. Very high cholesterol level, a famous cigar smoker, but fit (a runner). Immediate family history was considered to be highly important. Letterman had been tested regularly because of this and it's what saved his life. He had been for a run the day before his emergency operation.

I am not sure about those numbers,forgot to take the paper with me.I will try to change my diet but to be honest i am not sure what i can do about that.Ok no more french fries i guess and no more butter.We eat mostly at home and eat veggies and fruit from our own garden.

I do a fair bit of walking everyday because i have to take care of many animals,I feel tired most of the time but that is also due to not a lot of quality sleep.(PTSD and Tinnitus)

Hence the question,am i a walking timebomb?

I have to go back in two weeks and i will make sure i take home all of those numbers then.

Thanks for your response.

What was your triglyceride?

I ask because if the triglycerides are low, indirect measures of LDL (which is what Thai hospitals usually do) are inaccurate and you need direct measure. Also as other poster said an HDL of 86 would be most unusual.

Please post the exact numbers: total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and tirgylcerides. If you can, take a photo without the identifying info and post it.

Re the blood sugar, next time get Hb1Ac as the stress of being at hteh ospital can cause a rise in your fasting glucose whcih is not indicative of your ordinary tate. Hb1AC shows what your blood sugar had been doing over a period of time so unaffected by temporary stresses. This way we'll know if you are genuinely pre-diabetic or not. (Even if you are, doctor is right that this has nothing to do with the dizziness you feel. But it is important to know anyhow).

Also a good idea as suggested to get a thyroid panel done since you are feeling run down and tired and I would suggest testosterone level as well.

What s your age? What medications are you on? And where in Thailand do you live? (I might be able to suggest a lab where you can get the additional lab work done inexpensively).

37 minutes ago, jvs said:

I am not sure about those numbers,forgot to take the paper with me

If the hospital is not far away, drop by and if you ask nicely I'm sure they will print up another copy for you on the spot, rather than wait another couple of weeks. Always keep your test results and scan them so if you go to a different hospital you can show them a history from your phone

40 minutes ago, jvs said:

Ok no more french fries i guess and no more butter.

If the figures you quoted are correct then there maybe more to it than that... if they are correct, from what you're saying, not obese, non smoker, don't drink, eat lots of fruit and vegetables, physically active, then it sounds like diet may not be the only issue. Do you drink lots of fruit juice or soft drink (high in sugar)? You said low in salt.. in a hot climate you don't want to cut back too much as we all need some salt to function.

2 hours ago, jvs said:

When they took my blood sample this morning i nearly passed out

I absolutely used to be that person. Needed to have my blood taken while lying down as I always felt like I was going to keel over otherwise, white as a sheet afterwards I've been told, feeling cold, clammy, light headed, doctor coming over to see what was wrong one time. Now, no problem, I no longer dread blood testing. What changed? I drink a lot more water so better hydrated. Means the vein is easier to find and the needle barely hurts. If you had a fasting blood sugar test (did you???) it means Nil By Mouth for 8-12 hrs before in most Thai hospitals. If you were already a bit dehydrated before that, it could help explain you nearly passing out.

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What was your triglyceride?

I ask because if the triglycerides are low, indirect measures of LDL (which is what Thai hospitals usually do) are inaccurate and you need direct measure. Also as other poster said an HDL of 86 would be most unusual.

Please post the exact numbers: total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and tirgylcerides. If you can, take a photo without the identifying info and post it.

Re the blood sugar, next time get Hb1Ac as the stress of being at hteh ospital can cause a rise in your fasting glucose whcih is not indicative of your ordinary tate. Hb1AC shows what your blood sugar had been doing over a period of time so unaffected by temporary stresses. This way we'll know if you are genuinely pre-diabetic or not. (Even if you are, doctor is right that this has nothing to do with the dizziness you feel. But it is important to know anyhow).

Also a good idea as suggested to get a thyroid panel done since you are feeling run down and tired and I would suggest testosterone level as well.

What s your age? What medications are you on? And where in Thailand do you live? (I might be able to suggest a lab where you can get the additional lab work done inexpensively).

Thank you Sheryl,

I will try to get the numbers later today and post them.Kind of stupid to forget.

I went to Phetcharaat hospital,i am located near Cha-am.

My age is 61.Before i was giving the meds today i was not taken anything.

The doctor asked me if i wanted to try to adjust my diet first or start with medicin,her advice was to start taken the medicine.

I just had a conversation with Ann about our diet and we concluded we are pretty well eating healthy but of course some adjustments can be made.

My brother had a triple bypass last year at 50 but he had a long history of very high blood pressure and he also was 25 kg.overweight.He was also a diabetic for some years already.

The dissiness can be vertigo the doctor said but the person who i was seeing before concerning Tinnitus was not here but i will see him in two weeks.

Yes i think it will be a good idea to get some additional tests,the suggested a total body check but i did not see the need of that.It included dental and other stuff.

Thanks again Sheryl,i really appreciate your expert help.

9 minutes ago, kkerry said:

I absolutely used to be that person. Needed to have my blood taken while lying down as I always felt like I was going to keel over otherwise, white as a sheet afterwards I've been told, feeling cold, clammy, light headed, doctor coming over to see what was wrong one time. Now, no problem, I no longer dread blood testing. What changed? I drink a lot more water so better hydrated. Means the vein is easier to find and the needle barely hurts. If you had a fasting blood sugar test (did you???) it means Nil By Mouth for 8-12 hrs before in most Thai hospitals. If you were already a bit dehydrated before that, it could help explain you nearly passing out.

Had blood taken many times before but never had any problems with it,only today.Yes i had a fasting blood sugar test.

20 minutes ago, jvs said:

Thank you Sheryl,

I will try to get the numbers later today and post them.Kind of stupid to forget.

I went to Phetcharaat hospital,i am located near Cha-am.

My age is 61.Before i was giving the meds today i was not taken anything.

The doctor asked me if i wanted to try to adjust my diet first or start with medicin,her advice was to start taken the medicine.

I just had a conversation with Ann about our diet and we concluded we are pretty well eating healthy but of course some adjustments can be made.

My brother had a triple bypass last year at 50 but he had a long history of very high blood pressure and he also was 25 kg.overweight.He was also a diabetic for some years already.

The dissiness can be vertigo the doctor said but the person who i was seeing before concerning Tinnitus was not here but i will see him in two weeks.

Yes i think it will be a good idea to get some additional tests,the suggested a total body check but i did not see the need of that.It included dental and other stuff.

Thanks again Sheryl,i really appreciate your expert help.

Do post the exact numbers. Can't be sure at this point there is even a problem.

LDL is made up of small/dense particles and large/fluffy particles. The large particles form a  useful function, it is the small particles that oxidise and contribute to heart disease.

These is a test (NMR) which will analyse your LDL into particle types but I have yet to find it available in Thailand. However, there is a strong correlation between particle size and HDL/Trigs levels (see images). The lower your Trigs, and the higher your HDL, the larger your LDL particle size. So if you have a high HDL and low Trigs, your LDL score is not something of concern.
For reference, my Trigs are 58, my HDL is 94 and my LDL is 206. Very happy with that. 

There is increasing evidence that total LDL is not marker for heart disease, e.g.: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167527318347417?fbclid=IwAR2gqPyu-3WminbhjyIYhIJZkwEQtsbpL2vKGqRbX--ApQMB7x1VelQg3j4

And indeed there is evidence that higher levels of cholesterol are more protective as you get older.

IMG-9995.JPG

IMG-9983.JPG

IMG-9746.PNG

IMG-9745.PNG

Ok, those make more sense and yes, there is a problem, with both your trigylcerides and your LDL being too high.

You may or may not be pre-diabetic but given the high triglycerides and LDL my guess is yes, and you may have what is known as "metabolic syndrome".

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/metabolic-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20351916

Given that the triglycerides are also high it is very unlikely your elevated LDL is due to too many of the "good" type.

In addition to diet (which from the sounds of it is already not too bad) the main thing that will help you is exercise but that will be difficult for you to do much of when you are feeling run down and suffering from vertigo. It is not clear to me that the cause of the run down feeling and vertigo has been adequately explored. The  doctor gave you an antidepressent, presumably on the assumption that depression is the cause.  Perhaos it is but that can also sometimes be a knee-jerk assumotion on the part of doctors.

I suggest at a minimum that you get a thyroid panel (TSH, T3/T4) done and also your testosterone levels checked.

If a complete blood count was not already done, have that as well to exclude anemia. No need if it was already done and normal. 

In terms of diet the most important things are:

• avoid processed carbohydrates (white rice/bread/pastas, sugar) and processed foods in general;
  • consume a lot of fiber (oatmeal is good);
  • cook with healthy oils (no palm oil which is what Thais usually use and what anything bought fried from the market will have been cooked in) - contrary to what  people often assume it is not necessary or advisable to completely avoid anything fried, but it should be with a healthy oil;
  • no or only small quantities of red meat
  • lost of fresh fruits and veggies

The first 2 of these are especially important.

Happy to see the actual results are not quite as dramatic as you remembered ????

What I keep seeing lately about predictors for heart disease, is the importance of your triglyceride/HDL ratio. Optimal is less than 2, above 4 is too high. Your ratio is 3.83. With your family history you want to improve on that. Exercise is one way to help. After you have looked into the things Sheryl has suggested, ask about having a stress test. Cost will be somewhere around 3-4k. It will give you an insight as to what level of fitness you are now and how safe it is to proceed with further exercise that gets your heart pumping more than walking can. Exercise will also help lower your sugar levels.

P.S,  Regarding blood tests I neglected to mention there are some labs in Hua Hin where you can get them done quickly without needing to see a doctor first (of course, bring the results with you when you next see your doctor).

Hua Hin Central Labs seems to be the one most people use

34/23 Phet Kasem Rd

Hua Hin

It's on Google maps

tel  084 055 8328

Phone: 084 055 8328

THank you for the responses so far.I took a sleeping pil lastnight early and another one about 2 hours later.finally fell asleep and woke up not long ago.

Iwill do the same thing tonight because i am just too tired.

I was always very active,long distance running and owned a fitness gym for years.Now i realise how difficult it can be to motivate oneself,i never had that before.

Yesterday installed an app to measure how much i walk each day,it will not make a difference but just to see how much exercise i am getting.

I think at my age i should be a lot more active but find it very hard to do so.

Also depression can play a part,that seems to come and go without any warning.

What kind of test should i have done9(exact name please)

i will go there and have it all done.Do i need to be sober to take these?

I have an appointment in two weeks to see what can be done about the constant sounds in my head.That is a story in itself,listening to music is fine but too much seems to activate

the tinnitus.

I also seem to have to correct a lot of splelling mistakes lately.

11 minutes ago, jvs said:

It is not normal,get it checked because if you don't it may be too late.

I have a proper check-up every year at a major hospital and on their advice I'm on statins and high blood pressure pills. But feeling old is just normal as far as I can see. I am old.

3 hours ago, jvs said:

THank you for the responses so far.I took a sleeping pil lastnight early and another one about 2 hours later.finally fell asleep and woke up not long ago.

Iwill do the same thing tonight because i am just too tired.

I was always very active,long distance running and owned a fitness gym for years.Now i realise how difficult it can be to motivate oneself,i never had that before.

Yesterday installed an app to measure how much i walk each day,it will not make a difference but just to see how much exercise i am getting.

I think at my age i should be a lot more active but find it very hard to do so.

Also depression can play a part,that seems to come and go without any warning.

What kind of test should i have done9(exact name please)

i will go there and have it all done.Do i need to be sober to take these?

I have an appointment in two weeks to see what can be done about the constant sounds in my head.That is a story in itself,listening to music is fine but too much seems to activate

the tinnitus.

I also seem to have to correct a lot of splelling mistakes lately.

In post #11 I already mentioned tests, and in post #13 I told you about a lab.

However from this last post there seems to be a lot more to this.

That you need to ask if you need to be sober when getting a blood test suggests you have a drinking problem. This would explain the fatigue, poor concentration, insomnia and also contribute to the metabolic syndrome (high triglycerides/LDL and blood sugar) -- alcohol is pure sugar. And combining alcohol and sleeping meds will mess up anyone's mental state.

If you did not have liver enzymes checked (ALT/AST) on this last visit you'd better add them to the tests I mentioned already in post 11. You should also start taking a Vitamin B complex supplement that contains at least 100 mg of B1 (thiamine) as heavy alcohol use can cause B vitamin deficiencies and these in turn cause fatigue, trouble concentrating etc.

And, you need to stop drinking. Until you do and have been sober for a few months it won't be clear which of your symptoms are due to drinking and which need further exploration (probably a bit of both).

For help stopping drinking, AA has meetings in Hua Hin

https://aathailand.org/all-meetings?field_region_value=South+Thailand&title=&field_meeting_day_value=All&field_language_value=All&field_open_meeting_value=All&field_meeting_type_value=All

And see also this forum

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/98-i-drink-too-much-forum/

On 1/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, Sheryl said:

In post #11 I already mentioned tests, and in post #13 I told you about a lab.

However from this last post there seems to be a lot more to this.

That you need to ask if you need to be sober when getting a blood test suggests you have a drinking problem. This would explain the fatigue, poor concentration, insomnia and also contribute to the metabolic syndrome (high triglycerides/LDL and blood sugar) -- alcohol is pure sugar. And combining alcohol and sleeping meds will mess up anyone's mental state.

If you did not have liver enzymes checked (ALT/AST) on this last visit you'd better add them to the tests I mentioned already in post 11. You should also start taking a Vitamin B complex supplement that contains at least 100 mg of B1 (thiamine) as heavy alcohol use can cause B vitamin deficiencies and these in turn cause fatigue, trouble concentrating etc.

And, you need to stop drinking. Until you do and have been sober for a few months it won't be clear which of your symptoms are due to drinking and which need further exploration (probably a bit of both).

For help stopping drinking, AA has meetings in Hua Hin

https://aathailand.org/all-meetings?field_region_value=South+Thailand&title=&field_meeting_day_value=All&field_language_value=All&field_open_meeting_value=All&field_meeting_type_value=All

And see also this forum

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/98-i-drink-too-much-forum/

Sorry Sheryl i should have said fasting before the tests,language mix-up.I do not drink ,i think i mentioned that before.

I have my full bloodwork planned for next Monday.

Re-checked my diet and i don't think there is a lot i can do.

I was given a medication for Verigo,Tinnitus and i think that is the one that really make me nauseous but i decided to keep taking them(Cinnatab20mg)and this morning i woke up feeling a little better but my head was very quiet.Have not had that feeling for years and it was really nice.It lasted for a few hours and the ringing came back but not as strong.

Still feeling very tired,this can not be normal,i feel very sleepy but when i lay down i can not sleep.

I will take meds for sleeping again tonight and see if things are better tomorrow.

2 hours ago, jvs said:

I have my full bloodwork planned for next Monday.

Re-checked my diet and i don't think there is a lot i can do.

I was given a medication for Verigo,Tinnitus and i think that is the one that really make me nauseous but i decided to keep taking them(Cinnatab20mg)and this morning i woke up feeling a little better but my head was very quiet.Have not had that feeling for years and it was really nice.It lasted for a few hours and the ringing came back but not as strong.

Still feeling very tired,this can not be normal,i feel very sleepy but when i lay down i can not sleep.

I will take meds for sleeping again tonight and see if things are better tomorrow.

The tiredness and lethargy (and even depression if you have it, as well as fuzzy thinking) could all be side effects of the Cinnatab, it is well known to cause this. Ditto nausea. Unfortunately it is the most effective drugs for  vertigo and tinnitus.

You might try going off it for a while to see if the tiredness etc  improve, probably will. Though of course the tinnitus and vertigo will likely worsen.

it is nto necessary to fast for a thyroid panel and Testorone level.

Your lipids are much better than you previously reported, in fact normal though the triglyceride is at the upper limit for normal. It is surprising that so much improvement could have occurred in  such a short time - had you perhaps had a particularly bad diet the day(s) before the last blood draw?

In any case with these current levels, diet and exercise alone should be adequate to keep your lipids in healthy range and probably also your sugar.

The only thing of concern shown here is your kidney function. Your BUN and creatnine are both at the uppermost limits of normal. While this can sometimes be due to temporary dehydration, your urine specific gravity is low whereas it would be high if you were at all dehydrated. Assuming the urinalysis was done at the same time as the blood draw for creatnine and BUN I think you had best consult a kidney specialist (nephrologist).

This would not, however,  be likely to explain your fatigue and fuzzy thinking.  Nor would anything else tested for,  so again I suspect the Cinnatab is the culprit. Have you tried stopping it for a while to see if your energy picks up?

If by any chance the urien test  was done on a different day, or many many hours and say a coffee or two after,  the blood  test then you might repeat just the creatnine and BUN again making sure to be normally hydrated at the time before investing in a nephrology consult.  There is no need to fast for creatnine and BUN test and any lab or hospital can do them.

This is interesting. When I had a health check last October my kidney function results were similar:

BUN 20.2

Creatinine 1.3

eGFR 61.43

But the ranges listed for normal readings were different:

BUN 6.0 - 20.0 mg/d

Creatinine M: 0.67 - 1.17mg/dL

eGFR >90

My figures were worse in 2016, improved in 2017 and slightly worsened last year, but still better than 2016.  I am starting to get worried although I feel fine. I am 56 years old and exercise intensely for at least half an hour 5 days a week. Perhaps I don't drink enough water, so I will start there.  

46 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Your lipids are much better than you previously reported, in fact normal though the triglyceride is at the upper limit for normal. It is surprising that so much improvement could have occurred in  such a short time - had you perhaps had a particularly bad diet the day(s) before the last blood draw?

In any case with these current levels, diet and exercise alone should be adequate to keep your lipids in healthy range and probably also your sugar.

The only thing of concern shown here is your kidney function. Your BUN and creatnine are both at the uppermost limits of normal. While this can sometimes be due to temporary dehydration, your urine specific gravity is low whereas it would be high if you were at all dehydrated. Assuming the urinalysis was done at the same time as the blood draw for creatnine and BUN I think you had best consult a kidney specialist (nephrologist).

This would not, however,  be likely to explain your fatigue and fuzzy thinking.  Nor would anything else tested for,  so again I suspect the Cinnatab is the culprit. Have you tried stopping it for a while to see if your energy picks up?

If by any chance the urien test  was done on a different day, or many many hours and say a coffee or two after,  the blood  test then you might repeat just the creatnine and BUN again making sure to be normally hydrated at the time before investing in a nephrology consult.  There is no need to fast for creatnine and BUN test and any lab or hospital can do them.

Yes i was also very surprised at the results,hard to believe that one week of 10 mg Bestatin can have so much effect!

I stopped the Cinnatab and i feel much better,i was walking around feeling i could fall over at any moment.

I had all the tests done at the same time,and yes i did not drink a lot the night before so that could be the cause.

Thyroid and Testosteron are ok also and that had me worried before.

25 minutes ago, GarryP said:

This is interesting. When I had a health check last October my kidney function results were similar:

BUN 20.2

Creatinine 1.3

eGFR 61.43

But the ranges listed for normal readings were different:

BUN 6.0 - 20.0 mg/d

Creatinine M: 0.67 - 1.17mg/dL

eGFR >90

My figures were worse in 2016, improved in 2017 and slightly worsened last year, but still better than 2016.  I am starting to get worried although I feel fine. I am 56 years old and exercise intensely for at least half an hour 5 days a week. Perhaps I don't drink enough water, so I will start there.  

Yes our readings are nearly the same,i know about ten years ago i was tested and they said my uric acid was a bit high but i think that runs in the family.(gout?)

I can also try and drink more but like you i feel ok.

I do not exercise very hard but walk around 5km every day just working in the garden and doing chores.I will start to do more exercise just in case.

14 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes i was also very surprised at the results,hard to believe that one week of 10 mg Bestatin can have so much effect!

I stopped the Cinnatab and i feel much better,i was walking around feeling i could fall over at any moment.

I had all the tests done at the same time,and yes i did not drink a lot the night before so that could be the cause.

Thyroid and Testosteron are ok also and that had me worried before.

I did not realize you had started on simvastatin. That can be effective pretty quickly so likely why the improvement.

I suggest you repeat the creatnine and BUN sometime when normally hydrated.

eGFR levels do vary with age, though the lab lists only a single normal value of >90 in reality it always drops as one ages. Between ages 60 - 69 the average eGFR is around 85 and this drops to 75 for age 70 and over.

The eGFR is estimated based on your creatnine level, age, etc. So the key variable is your creatnine

Creatnine does temporarily increase if you are dehydrated so worth rechecking when you have nto been fasting (Thai hospitals tell people to take nothing by mouth before check ups. Actually no problem to take plain water and better if you do so at normal levels).

Archived