British expat says error on Thai Airways website resulted in 80,000THB of extra charges, then airline refused to refund

webfact

British expat says error on Thai Airways website resulted in 80,000THB of extra charges, then airline refused to refund

th.jpg

FILE photo

A British expat in Thailand has told Thaivisa of his shock when he was charged £1,951.80, (79,825.13THB), by Thai Airways for adding 20kg additional baggage onto his London to Bangkok return flights.

The error occurred when the expat, who asked not to be named, logged into the Thai Airways website last weekend, a week before he was due to fly, to select his seat, his meal preference and add 1 extra 20kg luggage to bring back some belated Christmas presents for his friends and family in Thailand.

“Everything seemed fine to begin with,” said the passenger.

“I logged-in as was quoted an additional 975.90 Thai Baht (around £25) each way for one 20kg extra bag – that sounded reasonable enough, so I purchased on my debit card”.

However, he was shocked to discover the payment had processed and an automatic receipt was generated. The transaction had incorrectly been processed by Thai Airways in British Pounds, not Thai Baht. The £544 ticket had already been paid for, but now an additional £1,951.80 had also been taken from his card!

“When I saw the receipt, I knew there had been a serious error, but initially thought it was a mistake on the receipt itself, so I logged into my Barclays mobile banking app, half expecting to see the correct amount, but when I looked through the pending transactions, there it was, two grand pending!”

The nightmare deepened when he called Thai Airways, who he claims did not help him.

“When I spoke to customer service, I calmly explained there was a glitch on their website, as the currency had switched but the figure had not. But they were absolutely awful. Rude, dismissive and said ‘you have to pay’. I protested over, then asked to cancel the extra luggage purchase.”

But when he asked for a refund he says that Thai Airways refused to acknowledge or even investigate any error on their website, arguing that £975.90 is what additional luggage costs.

When it was pointed out that this was 4 times the cost of the original ticket (which cost just £544) and meant to total cost was the equivalent to travelling business class, the airline still refused to look into the complaint.

“I felt sick” he explained, “it was so frustrating trying to explain that it was advertised in Baht, and that I clearly wouldn’t dream of paying anything close to an additional 80,000THB for one bag. But they kept repeating ‘sorry cannot, sorry cannot’ and in the end I just gave up“.

Luckily however, the man’s bank were understanding and agreed the transaction was suspicious. They flagged it as fraudulent, triggering an instant insurance claim, and refunded the full amount to his account. The bank will now need to pursue a separate claim against the airline to recover the costs.

“The whole thing was bizarre, but a real eye opener. Thank God the bank looked after me, because Thai Airways’ attitude was horrendous. I’ve been a frequent flyer with them for years, and whilst I don’t expect special treatment, they’ve made it completely clear they don’t give a sh*t about their customers. 80,000THB for one bag is just madness! A grain of common sense was all that was needed to resolve this amicably, but Thai Airways would rather steal from returning customers, than help them. I will never use Thai Airways again, and I will warn everyone of their unethical practices and lack of integrity.”

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-21

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In complete contrast to Cathay Pacific, the other day

when they sold first class tickets way too cheap, but

honored their mistake,surely this amounts to stealing 

if Thai do not return the overcharged monies.

regards worgeordie

It amazes me how airways cannot see plane, "excuse the pun", common sense.

I remember over a decade ago there was a glitch with trying to book a flight with Jetstar, who is owned by Qantas, so there I was trying to book my flight to Phuket who I had always flown with to Phuket as they were a direct 9 hour flight. I couldn't get on, like I said there was a glitch on their website so I rang them and they said no problem we can do the booking here, so away we went, then I noticed on my statement that they charged me $60 to book my ticket.

I rang them and said, I told you guys that the system was down and you said no problem can book through us, and I did, at no time was I advised I would be charged $60 and the guy asked did you tell the operator, der, that's the 1st thing I did, oh, he or she must have forgot to waiver the booking fee, der, ok so can you fix it, oh no sir you will have to write to Jetstar who will investigate and if the system was down will refund you, suffice to say I wrote to them, I tried calling, but you could never get through, so I wrote the another letter a month later and I got a reply a month later advising that they have a backlog of mail to get through and would reply to me in about 2 months. I never received a reply and had not used the airline for over a decade, sometimes flying to Thailand twice a year, minimum was once a year.

The maths of the $60 they took from me, compared to the losses they made with me not flying with them for a decade was sufficient enough for me to be satisfy that they lost more than the $60 that they took from me.

I flew with them last year as their special fare for me, the wife and the kids was dirt cheap, and I have rebooked to fly with them again this year as the fares again were dirt cheap, so you could say I have forgiven them, i.e. until they <deleted> up again...lol 

Thai Airways are pathological liars. In the early 2000's I flew on one of their flights to Phuket. While there, I walked into their downtown office. A sign on the wall advertised limousine service to the airport and stated the departure times. I noted the one most suitable.

On the day of my departure I returned. There was no limousine in sight.

When I asked, they told me it was operated by some other company, and departed from a distant point in Phuket town.  By the time I got to that place, the limousine was gone, and I had to take a motorcycle taxi to the airport, which is half an hour from town. 

The sign in Thai Airways office did not state that the limousine was operated by someone else and departed from somewhere else. It did not state any requirement for advance booking, or even state a contact phone number.

When I wrote them to complain, they said I was lying.  I have never used Thai Airways since.

These sort of responses offered with false authority really irk me, because they offer a solution that isn't necessarily there.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Go back to the CC company and explain it to them. They should be able to sort it out.

Why? The obligation is on the card holder to show that the  transaction is wrong. The CC will not "sort" it out.

5 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

The credit card company will refund it and fine thai airlines

No they won't. TG generates  significant transactions for the banking groups and cc pools. Do you really believe that they can just "fine" a state controlled multi national? Seriously? If a CC tries to strongarm the Thai state it will find itself at a disadvantage, quickly. The obligation is on the customer to prove the error and so far there is no written evidence, just  verbal allegations of wrongdoing.

As I always come here with two bags and leave with one last year I emailed Thai Airways about bringing an extra bag got a abrasive reply something like £35 per kg when I then questioned £60 with BA free with Kuwait airways(not recommended) for a whole bag they emailed me to say I have been black listed and will receive no further correspondence ???? 

Just now, geriatrickid said:

Why? The obligation is on the card holder to show that the  transaction is wrong. The CC will not "sort" it out.

Try read the OP again

Luckily however, the man’s bank were understanding and agreed the transaction was suspicious. They flagged it as fraudulent, triggering an instant insurance claim, and refunded the full amount to his account.

These sort of responses offered with false authority really irk me, because they offer a solution that isn't necessarily there.
No they won't. TG generates  significant transactions for the banking groups and cc pools. Do you really believe that they can just "fine" a state controlled multi national? Seriously? If a CC tries to strongarm the Thai state it will find itself at a disadvantage, quickly. The obligation is on the customer to prove the error and so far there is no written evidence, just  verbal allegations of wrongdoing.

Does nobody read the OP anymore ??

I only use my Credit Cards to purchases airline tickets because purchase remaining Pending for several days.  During the pending period you can contact the credit card company of any problems.  With a Debit Card the money is deducted from the account very quickly and resolving problems is more difficult.

All these puffed up claims of being  being mistreated by airlines and how you have punished them. Get real.

Jet Star is a budget carrier. The profit margins are very thin so if someone hasn't flown with them a few times, it's unimportant. The airline won't miss the cumulative 1000 baht "profit" because someone else will have taken the seat.

The nitpicking on the baggage charges  is ridiculous. The airfares are discounted to reflect the  baggage allowance. Meanwhile, TG still offers a  much more generous baggage allowance than Air Asia or Nok.

The airlines have factored in that some infrequent  customers flying on the cheap tickets will be unhappy. They are easily replaced by other budget flyers who chase the lowest airfare. The profit is generated from the  premium class passengers and on the pax who must pay one of the  higher cost  economy airfares.

No one wants to hear that they are not valued, but the truth is, the excursion class airfares get what they paid for: A basic seat in the back of the bus.

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

But they were absolutely awful. Rude, dismissive and said ‘you have to pay’. I protested over, then asked to cancel the extra luggage purchase.”

Smooth as silk. Or have they abandoned that slogan in the meantime, perhaps?

Thankfully there are failsafes protecting the consumer in this particular instance. I once managed to lose a ticket on the day I was due to fly to Thailand & had the airline (Eva-no relation lol) try to flog me a full priced replacement because 'someone else might turn up with your ticket & we wouldn't know which was you!'

I purchased another from BA at LHR and proceeded as planned.

Upon reaching my destination I contacted Eva's office in UK and put them on notice for legal action as soon as my feet hit the tarmac.

When I returned their solicitor rang and immediately asked how we could resolve the matter. I suggested full refund plus the difference & taxes I had paid for the alternate flight which he readily accepted and settled without further escalation.

All it had cost me was an email.

Most  airlines are rip offs. Fly dubai cancelled their bangkok hub leaving me stranded with a fully paid for ticket 

Obviously I refund was a fair request but oh no they kept coming back with you can change to any departure airport from our routes 

How! The nearest departure airport is Dubai and I'm in bangkok!! You guys left me here without even a warning email 

After about 30 emails and face book shaming they finally refunded after 8 months unbelievable! 

45 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Hardly surprising. Thai companies rarely, if ever admit they are at fault. 

Generally the minions who answer the phone are terrified to correct a card overcharge, fear of losing their job. Even scared to give advice on how to go about getting the problem fixed.

Archived