BANGKOK 19 February 2019 12:57
bayport22

retirement visa extension 800k

Retirement visa extension requires bank balance of 800,000 THB,  three months before previous retirement visa ends.

My question is:   Does the 800,000 balance have to be maintained until going to the immigration office to apply for the extension?

or can balance be less than 800,000 when applying for a retirement visa extension at the immigration office, as long as the 800,000

baht was in the bank, three (3) months before visa expiration?

• Confused 1

It is hard to understand what you are saying. Can you divide this in to two examples, a) and b), and use some hypothetical dates ?

Retirement visa extension requires bank balance of 800,000 THB,  three months before previous retirement visa ends.

YES

My question is:   Does the 800,000 balance have to be maintained until going to the immigration office to apply for the extension?

YES

or can balance be less than 800,000 when applying for a retirement visa extension at the immigration office, as long as the 800,000  

baht was in the bank, three (3) months before visa expiration?

NO

You must maintain the 800,000 in your account until you receive the extension.

• Like 2

The Bt800K balance can not drop below Bt800K "at any time" during the three months preceding the day your apply for an extension (this assumes you extension is approved).  If for some reason the extension was not approved on your application date....like they told you to come back in one week you can still not drop below Bt800K.  

Summary: it can not drop below Bt800K during the three month period be applying/getting the extension approved.

If applying for a 12 month extension of stay for retirement (it is not a visa)

You need 800,000 in the bank for 3 months.

OR

65000 Monthly income.

OR

A combination of both.

4 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

If applying for a 12 month extension of stay for retirement (it is not a visa)

You need 800,000 in the bank for 3 months.

OR

65000 Monthly income.

OR

A combination of both.

Isn't the first time 2 months and no one knows if the combination method still works at all offices?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Isn't the first time 2 months and no one knows if the combination method still works at all offices?

Yes, two months the first time.

The combo method should reliably be accepted IF you have an embassy letter.

Without an embassy letter, at this point in time, even though the rules can be read as it still being valid, reported experiences as well as common sense suggest that people would be strongly advised to prepare an 800K bank application.

I say common sense because the "memo" about accepted proof for income method without an embassy letter fails to mention the combo method, so offices appear to be taking that to mean it no longer exists if you don't have the letter.

That might change, but why take the risk if you can possibly prepare an 800K application?

Edited by Jingthing

An extension requires that you maintained a balance of 800,000 for 3 months prior and up to the application date. That is why copies of an updated bank book, covering the prior 3 months is required.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I say common sense because the "memo" about accepted proof for income method without an embassy letter fails to mention the combo method, so offices appear to be taking that to mean it no longer exists if you don't have the letter.

Can't agree with your theory.

The existing order 138-2557 (2014) made no such mention of an Embassy letter, only evidence of income, albeit that took the form of an Embassy letter.

The new amendment to 138-2557 (2018) clearly states a letter of certification from the Thai bank, or a letter of certification from your Embassy.

IMHP the only change to using the combo method depends on whether you can still obtain the letter from your Embassy, or as in the case of UK, Australian, US and Danish expats, that letter now has to come from your Thai bank.

48 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Can't agree with your theory.

The existing order 138-2557 (2014) made no such mention of an Embassy letter, only evidence of income, albeit that took the form of an Embassy letter.

The new amendment to 138-2557 (2018) clearly states a letter of certification from the Thai bank, or a letter of certification from your Embassy.

IMHP the only change to using the combo method depends on whether you can still obtain the letter from your Embassy, or as in the case of UK, Australian, US and Danish expats, that letter now has to come from your Thai bank.

My "logic" is irrelevant. 

The only "logic" applicants need to worry about in real life is how the immigration offices are interpreting things.

There is evidence at this point that applying without an embassy letter and trying to use the combo method has a good chance of being rejected.

So I'm saying to people: PROTEST YOURSELVES.

If you can and you were going to rely on a combo method application without an embassy letter, to heck with anyone's theories, try to prepare to use the pure 800K bank account method.

That stands exactly the same as before.

As far as your use of the world "amendment", well, I was strongly admonished by an admin here NOT to use that word to describe the item describing the income method rules for those without an embassy letter. I was told saying it was a "memo" instead.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is evidence at this point that applying without an embassy letter and trying to use the combo method has a good chance of being rejected.

What evidence?

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As far as your use of the world "amendment", well, I was strongly admonished by ad admin here NOT to use that word to describe the item describing the income method rules for those without an embassy letter. I was told saying it was a "memo" instead.

It was a 'memo' advising of the adjustment of evidence required for proof of income for extensions.

'Amendment' (a minor change or addition designed to improve a text, piece of legislation, etc.) is a perfect description.

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

What evidence?

It was a 'memo' advising of the adjustment of evidence required for proof of income for extensions.

'Amendment' (a minor change or addition designed to improve a text, piece of legislation, etc.) is a perfect description.

Reports here already of applications being rejected based on combo method/no embassy letter.

Do not argue with me about whether amendment is the correct language. I was using it before and was strongly lectured to STOP using it. Take it or leave it. I'm not using it anymore based on the direction and it's not my interest to argue that amendment was actually correct or not.

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Reports here already of applications being rejected based on combo method/no embassy letter.

One report to my knowledge and the OP had only been in Thailand 3 months.

Please advise where 'other' reports have been posted.

In the ideal world and quoting my own IO, if everyone had 400K or 800K in a Thai bank for the required period 'life would be so much simpler for all' However in the real world, the facts are some expats have invested their foreign savings in land, homes, family and transport and don't have the required funds deposited in a Thai bank. 

For those who can't meet the regular monthly income deposits in a Thai bank (some receive a quarterly pension), so the combo method may be one of their alternative methods, which your 'dismissing' already, only 22 days into the additional rules, unless you can obtain an Embassy letter.