Laptop fixer upper at Tukcom

NanLaew

A few years ago, there was a one shop in Tukcom that was the go-to place for laptop repairs, parts and refurbs. Third floor I think, over the same side as the stairs and lifts. They even did battery repairs, replacing bad cells with new ones. The guy had a distinct port-wine stain on his face and a staff of maybe 2 or 3 lads working for him. Anyone been by lately and know if he's still trading?

Thanks!

NL

I think you're probably referring to Pattaya-2-U who once occupied a shop in the SW corner of the 3rd floor. If they can't fix your problem then there's no charge. They left TukCom years ago and now have their own shop behind it. Go down the road on the east side of TukCom until you come to the big junction where five roads meet. Go left down the road past the Day-Night hotel and Pattaya-2-U is on the right at the end of the road. If you're lucky you can sometimes park your car right outside.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I think you're probably referring to Pattaya-2-U who once occupied a shop in the SW corner of the 3rd floor. If they can't fix your problem then there's no charge. They left TukCom years ago and now have their own shop behind it. Go down the road on the east side of TukCom until you come to the big junction where five roads meet. Go left down the road past the Day-Night hotel and Pattaya-2-U is on the right at the end of the road. If you're lucky you can sometimes park your car right outside.

Thanks Guderian but no, it wasn't Pattaya-2-U. The laptop refurb guy wasn't in a corner but on the south-side, between the stairwell/elavators and the front side of the building. Been huge changes in the place and maybe he bit the bullet and quit. I'm not needing anything fixing inasmuch as replace the mobo, cpu, keyboard and LCD backshell and front trim. I have all the parts. Last time I used him many years ago with two road-worn units and a bag of parts, he did both laptops in a few hours.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks Guderian but no, it wasn't Pattaya-2-U. The laptop refurb guy wasn't in a corner but on the south-side, between the stairwell/elavators and the front side of the building. Been huge changes in the place and maybe he bit the bullet and quit. I'm not needing anything fixing inasmuch as replace the mobo, cpu, keyboard and LCD backshell and front trim. I have all the parts. Last time I used him many years ago with two road-worn units and a bag of parts, he did both laptops in a few hours.

Every time I took something there, they broke the casing. So that is twice. 

Maybe they moved to the Harbor Mall.

If it a branded laptop, let their official service centre sort it out.

3 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Every time I took something there, they broke the casing. So that is twice. 

Maybe they moved to the Harbor Mall.

If it a branded laptop, let their official service centre sort it out.

This is not a Pattaya-2-U customer appreciation thread, thanks.

It's a branded ASUS laptop that isn't marketed in LOS (bought in the UK) so out-of-warranty parts would need to come from ASUS in Taiwan... if they have parts for 5 year old laptop still in stock. This is a refurb and upgrade of a laptop with me supplying all the parts.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

A couple of friends have recommended the shop across the road from the Tukom car park (400m away from Tukom).

I used that shop to fix a laptop that wouldn't turn on, it cost me 3000 baht. Hard to say if I was ripped off or not as it's a bit like getting a watch fixed. My fault, should have got a couple of quotes first.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's a branded ASUS laptop that isn't marketed in LOS (bought in the UK) so out-of-warranty parts would need to come from ASUS in Taiwan... if they have parts for 5 year old laptop still in stock. This is a refurb and upgrade of a laptop with me supplying all the parts.

On the right-hand side next to PowerBuy, second shop from the end, I have used these guys for my Asus. A friend of mine likes to use another shop King Kong I think they are called, one floor up. I think most shops prefer to supply the parts as part of the service.

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This is not a Pattaya-2-U customer appreciation thread, thanks.

I don't know about Pattaya 2 U, I am referring to the vendor that you described.

Parts don't need to come from anywhere of the sort. I get the official service centre(though for another brand) to fit my parts for out of warranty laptops. They charged me the princely sum of 400 baht plus VAT. Not only that, but they do they job whilst you wait.

I guess ASUS may do the same, though possibly charge a bit more for your job, as you have multiple parts to fit. Don't bother with the ASUS óutlet in Tukcom, take it directly to the service centre in Rayong.

The cowboys at Tukcom are often just good for breaking things and overcharging.

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

On the right-hand side next to PowerBuy, second shop from the end, I have used these guys for my Asus. A friend of mine likes to use another shop King Kong I think they are called, one floor up. I think most shops prefer to supply the parts as part of the service.

OK, thanks. For sure they would like to sell you the bits needed but the guy I used previously was happy to use the bits I brought and with an 800 baht bill, did a good, quick job and only charged for labour.

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I don't know about Pattaya 2 U, I am referring to the vendor that you described.

Parts don't need to come from anywhere of the sort. I get the official service centre(though for another brand) to fit my parts for out of warranty laptops. They charged me the princely sum of 400 baht plus VAT. Not only that, but they do they job whilst you wait.

I guess ASUS may do the same, though possibly charge a bit more for your job, as you have multiple parts to fit. Don't bother with the ASUS óutlet in Tukcom, take it directly to the service centre in Rayong.

The cowboys at Tukcom are often just good for breaking things and overcharging.

I misread, sorry. I guess two strikes and he's out so can see agree why you would not recommend him.

Regarding parts for ASUS laptops that are not marketed in Thailand, my comment is based on my experience back around the time of the (first) Bangkok riots. The US-bought laptop was on the edge of the 3-year, global warranty and had spontaneous reboot issues. I brought it to the (then) ASUS service center on Rama in Bangkok and after a few days of tests, they agreed it needed a new mobo but, since the model wasn't available in Thailand, they ordered one from Taiwan. I eventually got it back about a month later with the new, imported mobo a 6-month warranty on the repair. They did manage to break one of the hinge covers though! Similarly, I had an LCD go out on an ASUS tablet that was bought in the UK and not marketed here. The LCD wasn't available in Thailand so I bought one on eBay and had a mate bring it in. Unfortunately, the regular refurb guy was closed and the 'cowboy' I chose at Tukcom buggered it up so I ended up doing repairs on his repairs myself.

If there's a part that's common with a locally-sold and supported model, they'll have it in stock or, if you use a non-OEM repair shop, they can ask around their peers and get one, otherwise...

I do like your suggestion of seeing if ASUS Rayong would be willing to do out-of-warranty refurbishment plus installing a higher spec CPU. I will contact them first though.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:11 PM, NaDu said:

the only reliable shop is pattaya2u, any other recommendation is wrong.

I take it you have used every other repair shop in Tukcom then to make that comment............:wacko:

On 1/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, NanLaew said:

OK, thanks. For sure they would like to sell you the bits needed but the guy I used previously was happy to use the bits I brought and with an 800 baht bill, did a good, quick job and only charged for labour.

I misread, sorry. I guess two strikes and he's out so can see agree why you would not recommend him.

Regarding parts for ASUS laptops that are not marketed in Thailand, my comment is based on my experience back around the time of the (first) Bangkok riots. The US-bought laptop was on the edge of the 3-year, global warranty and had spontaneous reboot issues. I brought it to the (then) ASUS service center on Rama in Bangkok and after a few days of tests, they agreed it needed a new mobo but, since the model wasn't available in Thailand, they ordered one from Taiwan. I eventually got it back about a month later with the new, imported mobo a 6-month warranty on the repair. They did manage to break one of the hinge covers though! Similarly, I had an LCD go out on an ASUS tablet that was bought in the UK and not marketed here. The LCD wasn't available in Thailand so I bought one on eBay and had a mate bring it in. Unfortunately, the regular refurb guy was closed and the 'cowboy' I chose at Tukcom buggered it up so I ended up doing repairs on his repairs myself.

If there's a part that's common with a locally-sold and supported model, they'll have it in stock or, if you use a non-OEM repair shop, they can ask around their peers and get one, otherwise...

I do like your suggestion of seeing if ASUS Rayong would be willing to do out-of-warranty refurbishment plus installing a higher spec CPU. I will contact them first though.

The ACER official service centre I utilised had no issue with doing this. Though the technician warned that he could not guarantee that the new CPU would be suitable. It was, as I already did the research.

Excellent job done whilst I waited. 428 baht. 

One device was bought in Thailand more than eleven years ago. The other in the UK ten years ago. Neither was an impediment.

They don't care if it is out-of-warranty. If it is out-of-warranty, you have to pay. If not, you don't. It is as simple as that.

I guess with ASUS it will be the same. It's just a matter of how much they charge. But avoid Tukcom, you have been warned. A friend took their laptop there for a new casing, but they simply stuck the old one together with glue instead of ordering a new one. When challenged, they told that they could not order the new. Friend picked up the laptop and walked out without giving them a single baht for their unauthorised glue job..

Usually, they should send it on to the service centre in Rayong. But they did not.

The service centre I utilised has a printed set of charges, so no rip-offs. 

So Kudos to ACER Chonburi.

Archived