Bangrak Begpacker

Nyezhov

21 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:
44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You took a photo of a stranger and attempted to publicly humiliate him.... 

Im not the one begging

But you are the one who wrote "manners and form and propriety mean something"....  however, it would appear that they don't mean something to you when publicly humiliating someone... 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Spidey said:
48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

With certainty I know that Thai's are not daft enough to think that

a Foreign (western) beggar reflects poorly on me because there no way to make the association... other than skin color... 

Skin colour is a biggy for Thais. White skin  = farang = someone who comes across as superior to them.

I'm not so sure about that... This may be true in some of the poor levels of the socio-economic demographic..  

However, Westerners are not revered in the same way in other areas... Bangkok as an example, we are just treated with equal indifference.

The skin thing... Unfortunately its a fairly accurate generalization, one representative of perceived wealth. If a person is perceived as being wealthy, they are treated more favourably, this seems true of all proportions of Thai Society...  which is why I consider that a Western 'beg-packer' is not going to influence a Thai person's opinion of us (Westerner), unless we ourselves reflect the beg-packer in our 'appearance'... if dressed properly and acting politely we are more likely to be judged and treated as any other person around us...i.e. blending into obscurity with equal indifference... 

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Bangkok as an example, we are just treated with equal indifference.

So then I dont need to make sure I am bathed and dressed in clean clothes before I go out? I dont have to be polite, I can just walk around picking my butt, spitting on the sidewalk, argue over one baht, blow my nose through my fingers and wipe them on my incipient dreads?

Damn I have been wasting time in the morning getting ready to go out! I can save at least 40 baht a week on laundry.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But you are the one who wrote "manners and form and propriety mean something"....  however, it would appear that they don't mean something to you when publicly humiliating someone... 

Im not publicly humiliating him, he has already done so himself by his actions. I am merely recording it for posterity, and using his own self humiliation as a learning moment. Call it news then.

If I take photos of kids Thai begging on the street and post them with as a topic for discussion is that humiliation?

Maybe instead of focusing on my actions in raising the uncomfortable for many, shouldnt we be discussing the issues raised by such behavior?

On 1/22/2019 at 9:12 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not so sure about that... This may be true in some of the poor levels of the socio-economic demographic..  

However, Westerners are not revered in the same way in other areas... Bangkok as an example, we are just treated with equal indifference.

The skin thing... Unfortunately its a fairly accurate generalization, one representative of perceived wealth. If a person is perceived as being wealthy, they are treated more favourably, this seems true of all proportions of Thai Society...  which is why I consider that a Western 'beg-packer' is not going to influence a Thai person's opinion of us (Westerner), unless we ourselves reflect the beg-packer in our 'appearance'... if dressed properly and acting politely we are more likely to be judged and treated as any other person around us...i.e. blending into obscurity with equal indifference... 

I think you'll find white skin is an obsession with Thais. Why do you think pharmacies and supermarkets are crammed with skin-whitening products?

I know two Australians in CM. One is a white Australian, living on the dole here. The other moved to Australia from India as a child, and is seriously wealthy.

The person on the dole has no trouble in connecting with Thai women. The wealthy one is constantly rejected by them. You can't be wealthy. You have dark skin. Ergo, you must be poor.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
On 1/22/2019 at 6:12 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I think you'll find white skin is an obsession with Thais. Why do you think pharmacies and supermarkets are crammed with skin-whitening products?

I know two Australians in CM. One is a white Australian, living on the dole here. The other moved to Australia from India as a child, and is seriously wealthy.

The person on the dole has no trouble in connecting with Thai women. The wealthy one is constantly rejected by them. You can't be wealthy. You have dark skin. Ergo, you must be poor.

So you agree then... 

The skin thing... Unfortunately its a fairly accurate generalization, one representative of perceived wealth. If a person is perceived as being wealthy, they are treated more favourably,

BTW: how does and Australian live on the dole in Chiangmai???... or do you mean he is simply unemployed?

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

So you agree then... 

BTW: how does and Australian live on the dole in Chiangmai???... or do you mean he is simply unemployed?

I'm  giving a different angle on the white skin thing. It's not a competition.

On the BTW, you would have to ask him. Being on the dole in Australia means you are unemployed. He's not a retiree, so presumably he does border runs. I have no idea how he gets Centrelink to continue payments to someone overseas.

While dole payments in the Australian system are less than the age pension, they are still of the order of 25K baht a month. It's possible to live modestly here on that.

13 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Im not publicly humiliating him, he has already done so himself by his actions. I am merely recording it for posterity, and using his own self humiliation as a learning moment. Call it news then.

If I take photos of kids Thai begging on the street and post them with as a topic for discussion is that humiliation?

Maybe instead of focusing on my actions in raising the uncomfortable for many, shouldnt we be discussing the issues raised by such behavior?

The humiliation aspect comes from the 'tone' of your post... 

If you were to take photo's of Thai kids begging, I imagine your tone would be significantly more empathetic and far less judgmental.

Focussing on actions: you mean, we're not permitted to judge your actions of media-shaming someone... we can only discuss what you want us to discuss; the Beg-packer? 

You are not comfortable with us discussing the morality of you publicly shaming someone who's fallen hard on their luck?

And finally, don't kid yourself... recording for Posterity... what posterity is that post ever worth?... You wanted everyone to think like you and consider a Westerner down on their luck to be a despicable character begging from the poor Thai's.... 

A learning moment???? come on... that's just getting ridiculous... 

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

On the BTW, you would have to ask him. Being on the dole in Australia means you are unemployed. He's not a retiree, so presumably he does border runs. I have no idea how he gets Centrelink to continue payments to someone overseas.

While dole payments in the Australian system are less than the age pension, they are still of the order of 25K baht a month. It's possible to live modestly here on that.

Understood... In the UK one would have to be present to sign every week or two weeks for such... I think its called 'Job Seekers allowance'... 

He has money to live here... So some may consider him better off than they are... or it would seem not on the breadline... 25k per month is a decent Salary for many Thai's... 

I get your point on the Wealthy Indian guy...  they are not so popular amongst a society who's women are fixated on image.

For the Whitening creams etc...  it is the Korean / Japanese paler look which is considered desirable and 'hi-so' looking...   the White Farang thing doesn't really come into it too much, although we are sometimes afforded certain deference based on perceived wealth... 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The humiliation aspect comes from the 'tone' of your post... 

If you were to take photo's of Thai kids begging, I imagine your tone would be significantly more empathetic and far less judgmental.

Focussing on actions: you mean, we're not permitted to judge your actions of media-shaming someone... we can only discuss what you want us to discuss; the Beg-packer? 

You are not comfortable with us discussing the morality of you publicly shaming someone who's fallen hard on their luck?

And finally, don't kid yourself... recording for Posterity... what posterity is that post ever worth?... You wanted everyone to think like you and consider a Westerner down on their luck to be a despicable character begging from the poor Thai's.... 

A learning moment???? come on... that's just getting ridiculous... 

Really dude? A guy with decent clothes who can fly over here (from anywhere in the West its about $500) and then has the audacity to be money from folks whose minimum wage is $11...a day?

You can Judge my actions all you want. I am judgemental, I  find it reprehensible that a person that won the western lottery of birth would have the audacity to sit on the streets and beg from folks who have to work and hustle just to eat. And they are kind enough to give him money. If he is shamed by this post, good.

There is no excuse for it. None. If he is the Man in the Twisted Lip, then he is even worse. If he is priming his box just to get money to go to a full moon party, even worse than that. Is he in trouble? Go to the Embassy? Lost passport? Go to the Embassy? Too sick to go to the embassy? Go to the cops. No way to leave...the Thais will be happy to throw him out.

No excuse whatsoever and the guy should be shamed.

I was tempted to wake him up and tell he he was an embarrasment.

The likes of worgeordie & other gobshxxx wnkrs haven't noticed his begging sign is in thai as he knows from other scammers foreigners have wised up both at home & here so play on the heartstrings of genuine thai people,its the same wnkrs sticking up for the beggar that derogatorise injured or sick travellers with no travel insurance,even in cases where they had insurance but the company welshed on it because of the smallprint covering them from paying out

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that the guy is doing this as his ultimate last resort, maybe he got robbed of his wallet and phone? That would put most young travellers in a fix very quickly, even more so if travelling alone.

It's easy to jump to a conclusion that he didn't plan his trip properly, or spent all is money in soi 4 the night before. Plus most embassies don't help you out just because you've run out of money, although some will allow you to make some calls.

If he's doing it just to save money and extend his stay, then that is deplorable and will only make farangs look bad (or worse, as the case may be), and he should be arrested. I thought people who wanted handouts these days used one of these crowd funding websites anyway?

The likes of worgeordie & other gobshxxx wnkrs haven't noticed his begging sign is in thai as he knows from other scammers foreigners have wised up both at home & here so play on the heartstrings of genuine thai people,its the same wnkrs sticking up for the beggar that derogatorise injured or sick travellers with no travel insurance,even in cases where they had insurance but the company welshed on it because of the smallprint covering them from paying out

Bet hes got his Cap on Backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, anon7854 said:

it's trendy to beg these days.

or so I heard from some hipsters.

But there is a big difference between some London hipster who owns several properties in London, who is doing it because it's their latest pathetic thing, than someone who has genuinely gotten into trouble and has no way to return home.

Hipsters are just people who have no real personality or ambition in life, so they grow a beard, buy some dungarees and designer glasses, and then hang around with liked-minded individuals who convince themselves that they are better than everyone else, when in fact the rest of the populace despise them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 5:55 PM, worgeordie said:

Embarrassed you ? Why is he your son or something,

if he's doing no harm to anyone,just pass bye,and think

"there but for the grace of God.............."

You know nothing about him or his story,so don"t judge.

regards Worgeordie

The grace of what/whom??

On 1/24/2019 at 2:03 AM, Lacessit said:

On the "dole"I am assuming you mean unemployment benefits?

I think you will find that unless you have been granted permission to leave the country for a short time ( up to two weeks) your benefits cease once your passport is matched through Centrelink these days.

Disability pension allowed to leave for slightly longer, before benefits cease.

The border control computers do a daily match with Human services ( Centrelink), so not likely to have a benefit being paid

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

I think you will find that unless you have been granted permission to leave the country for a shirt time ( up to two weeks) your benefits cease once your passport is matched through Centrelink these days.

The border control computers do a daily match with Human services ( Centrelink), so not likely to have a benefit being paid

I don't know where you are getting your information from. Possibly it is correct with respect to people on the dole.

It is totally incorrect for people on a disability pension. A person in my condo ( now deceased ) was getting his disability pension from Centrelink for the three years I knew him, and he never left Thailand in that time.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know where you are getting your information from. Possibly it is correct with respect to people on the dole.

It is totally incorrect for people on a disability pension. A person in my condo ( now deceased ) was getting his disability pension from Centrelink for the three years I knew him, and he never left Thailand in that time.

The changes to the disability pension came in about 2 years ago, it is not paid for more than few weeks with permission now, courtesy of the LNP Government, check the Centrelink website on the matter

He would also have to submit a treating doctors report for continuation every 12 weeks to remain on the Disability Pension, and reviewed by Government Medical Officer every 2-5 years depending on age.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

A pension is different to unemployment benefit though 

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I think you will find that unless you have been granted permission to leave the country for a short time ( up to two weeks) your benefits cease once your passport is matched through Centrelink these days.

I think you will find that the vast majority of people on the dole in the UK do in fact go on holidays, and no they do not inform in the authorities, and nor do their free cash stop.

3 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

I think you will find that the vast majority of people on the dole in the UK do in fact go on holidays, and no they do not inform in the authorities, and nor do their free cash stop.

I can only work on the Australian scheme, cannot comment on the UK benefits

Australian border control computers cross match now with Centrelink computers, so check is kept up on benefit recipients

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

The changes to the disability pension came in about 2 years ago, it is not paid for more than few weeks with permission now, courtesy of the LNP Government, check the Centrelink website on the matter

He would also have to submit a treating doctors report for continuation every 12 weeks to remain on the Disability Pension, and reviewed by Government Medical Officer every 2-5 years depending on age.

Fair enough. I would assume in the case of the person I knew, his arrangements were grandfathered.

Yet another reason to get rid of the Liberals ( there's an oxymoron ) before they extend the same restrictions to the OAP. Seems like they are trying to turn Australia into a prison colony all over again.

2 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

The people have to sign on every two weeks, failure to sign on will mean no benefits paid .

They are also required to be looking for a job and being on holiday isnt looking for a job and they could have their benefits stopped 

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Fair enough. I would assume in the case of the person I knew, his arrangements were grandfathered.

Yet another reason to get rid of the Liberals ( there's an oxymoron ) before they extend the same restrictions to the OAP. Seems like they are trying to turn Australia into a prison colony all over again.

The OAP is paid outside the country, dependant upon the number of years a person was employed in Australia prior to the pension being granted, it is decreased somewhat to a part pension after 6 weeks, dependent on the years of continuous employment before the grant 

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

The OAP is paid outside the country, dependant upon the number of years a person was employed in Australia prior to the pension being granted, it is decreased somewhat to a part pension after 6 weeks, dependent on the years of continuous employment before the grant 

The base pension is not decreased in any way. What happens is the supplements for electricity, phone etc. are removed. Which makes sense, because overseas pensioners are not using them. About $50 a fortnight. Although I would like rent assistance taken on board, as we save the Australian government money by living overseas.

I should know, because I am in receipt of a part OAP.

It's not a grant. It's a right.

Archived