Foreign visitors increasingly use Airbnb during major tourism events

snoop1130

Foreign visitors increasingly use  Airbnb during major tourism events

By The Nation

images.jpg

New data shows that travellers to Thailand are increasingly turning to Airbnb for accommodation during big tourism events, according to a report released by the hosting company on Monday.

Last year, Thai Airbnb hosts welcomed more than 100,000 guests and earned Bt380 million combined over three of the Kingdom’s largest tourist events: Chinese New Year, Songkran and Golden Week. 

Family travel made up a significant proportion of all bookings during these periods, comprising about 15 per cent of the total.

As Thailand gears up for Chinese New Year with the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s anticipated 8-per-cent increase in traveller numbers this year, more Thais are listing their homes with Airbnb to welcome local and international guests for this auspicious holiday.

“By opening their homes to guests from around the world, our local Airbnb hosts are being the best ambassadors for their community, while pursuing their passion for hospitality and earning supplemental income on the side. There’s never been a better time to start hosting with Airbnb,” said Mike Orgill, US-based Airbnb’s general manager for Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

During last April’s Songkran alone, Airbnb hosts welcomed more than 45,000 guests from 3,120 cities. 

This tied in with Airbnb’s first-ever launch of unique “Songkran Special” Airbnb Experiences, where guests could book Experiences such as a traditional Thai Songkran ceremony with a Sak Yant master.

There was an almost 50-per-cent increase in guest arrivals year over year during Thailand’s most celebrated and respected festival, with an average of 2.7 guests staying in an Airbnb listing over three nights. 

Hosts collectively earned over Bt95 million over just six days.

Thailand ranks as one of the top most popular outbound destinations among China outbound travellers on Airbnb. 

Over Golden Week in October, Bangkok and Chiang Mai featured in the list of top 10 outbound city destinations for China guests, with Bangkok-Chiang Mai being one of the most popular air-travel routes in the region. 

Guests from China also stayed longer than ever before – the average booking during Golden Week comprised 2.5 guests over four nights, up from three nights in 2017. 

Their top-booked destinations included Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri and Surat Thani.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362664

— The Nation 2019-01-21

Our daughter and two friends came to visit in December.  She booked a 46th floor penthouse in the State Tower on Silom Rd....3 balconies, a hot tub, an exercise room, and 2 very large bedrooms.  Super clean, decorated to the hilt, convenient to all the places we wanted to visit, and a great host who arranged to pick us up at the airport and bring us back when we left.

She also booked condos in Phuket and Samui.  Likewise, both were fantastic, exactly as advertised, super nice hosts, all the conveniences of home.

When our daughter told us she was coming for a visit, I asked what hotel she wanted me to book.  She told me she doesn't do hotels anymore (except when there's no other option).

I can't blame her.

Another great bonus for landlords. 

I have no interest in renting my condo on lower Sukhumvit all year but just for the high season when I travel for 3 months. Never have a problem finding guests on air bnb and the cash pays for my travels. 

Love it 

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

Another great bonus for landlords. 

I have no interest in renting my condo on lower Sukhumvit all year but just for the high season when I travel for 3 months. Never have a problem finding guests on air bnb and the cash pays for my travels. 

Love it 

Don't you need someone to manage it when you are not there?.... i.e. hand over keys, clean sheets etc?

Where I am staying at the moment there are a lot of Chinese people renting houses and then starting a AirBnB service with Chinese as customers.

It must be a good business as the 3-bedroom houses are rented out at about 30 - 35K a month. I saw one guy had 3 bunk beds in one room, so maybe he can put up to 18 people a night sometimes.

Don't you need someone to manage it when you are not there?.... i.e. hand over keys, clean sheets etc?
Yes. I either get the Gf or a mate to check them in. Maid service isn't included but they can book cleaners direct themselves.

Sheets are provided only.
Remember this is monthly not daily

1 hour ago, petedk said:

Where I am staying at the moment there are a lot of Chinese people renting houses and then starting a AirBnB service with Chinese as customers.

It must be a good business as the 3-bedroom houses are rented out at about 30 - 35K a month. I saw one guy had 3 bunk beds in one room, so maybe he can put up to 18 people a night sometimes.

I was told houses in the village I am in are going for 10k a night. It has been an issue with big groups of Chinese wandering around in the middle of the roads at all times.

Daily rental is illegal in Thailand without proper hotel license so how can this be 'good' news?
Yes monthly only but I doubt the Thais will follow the law and no doubt are renting daily and weekly and no way to police it, just to many of them

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Aren’t airbnb property owners in Thailand basically criminals?

Yes when it comes to short term renting there are some specific rules and as well AIRBNB seems to be banned in Thailand....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7F7pTKeNHE&t=410s

Archived