Will British Pound rise against Thai baht?

When will the Baht weaken!

It's not just the Pound going down.

Since highs about mid July 2018 the USD and the EUR have significantly lost against the Baht.

Approx. currency market since July:

USD 33.45 -> 31.80
EUR 39.24 -> 36.10

GBP 44.12 -> 40.95

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

When will the Baht weaken!

It's not just the Pound going down.

Since highs about mid July 2018 the USD and the EUR have significantly lost against the Baht.

Approx. currency market since July:

USD 33.45 -> 31.80
EUR 39.24 -> 36.10

GBP 44.12 -> 40.95

They are the market rates on the ground,today in the TT exchange its €35:85.its the lowest rate for many a year.I don't really expect it to rise significantly if at all that goes for the Euro and the Pound,I am in Jomtien been there for a week now brought my first lady drink yesterday a 70baht tiger for me she had a Chang 120baht €4:72 it seemed a lot when I brought it but seeing it's less than €5 it's no big deal especially when I see back home in the Netherlands a beer in a bar has crossed the €3 threshold.

13 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The Baht is on a roll, not just against the pound, it's having a ball and this will probably continue for some time unfortunately. Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.

There you go as regards what I said earlier in the thread.

"The Baht is on a roll, not just against the pound"

The Baht takes its fix off the Reserve currency the USD second by second.  The other side of the currency pairing (insert your own currency) value against the USD is the problem. Its NOT solely the Baht that has lowered exchange rates

Yes it would be nice if the Baht would weaken out to 33 again and certainly for Brits we'd like to see a return to $1.50 something thats likely to happen once Brexit is done and dusted

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, Stocky said:

Well you'd hope just about every bit of bad news has already been factored into the GBPeso exchange rate, so any sort of final curtain to Brexit should be met with relief and something of a recovery.

The bounce back will be bigger if the UK eventually ends up remaining, a hard Brexit might see an initial bounce followed by further falls. But in the long run, once all the dust has settled, whichever way the UK goes the exchange rate will recover.

Presently it's the uncertainty, markets don't like uncertainty.

Not an expert but this seems right. Not sure how it can get any worse than it is right now? So you would expect a bounce of some sort at some point.

1 hour ago, gamini said:

But posters don't seem to realise that the Thai economy is still doing much better than most others, in spite of what they think.

Yes, the Pattaya & Phuket crew look out the window and see not too many 'quality' tourists so they assume the Thai economy is doing badly. They need to get out & travel around this diverse country.

They would see boom and near-boom conditions in all sorts of unexpected places (even in the much-despised Isaan). You just need to see the traffic on rural arterial routes and compare it with 4 or 5 years ago to see that major economic change is happening. And what used to be rural roads are now outer suburban roads stretching ever onwards with strip development [cf The West 1950s-1970s].

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 1/22/2019 at 2:33 PM, Chivas said:

You need to remember (and many have not a clue) that apart from the reserve currency the USA Dollar no other currency has a direct exchange rate against the Baht

Every other currency is subject to the sum of two pairings.

Sterling Dollar on one side and Dollar Baht on the other. Unfortunately Brits are getting a double whammy in the wrong direction with Sterling Dollar depressed and on the other side of the pairing the Baht gaining strength against the Greenback

Fluctuations in either pairing effects the exchange rate so whilst the Baht rising against the Dollar has absolutely nothing to do with Brits it unfortunately still effects the exchange rate

Brits are getting a double whammy   -   When it gets less than 1 pound to the $$ - I'm thinking about buying, low 6 figures, then hold five years.  doesn't appear that far off if it keeps falling like it has.  It worked for me US $$ vs Canadian $$ made out pretty good on that one a few years ago. (was scary but had good advice)

I am wondering why Brits don't buy $$ now and exchange $$ in Baht??  Wouldn't they make out better??

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, the Pattaya & Phuket crew look out the window and see not too many 'quality' tourists so they assume the Thai economy is doing badly. They need to get out & travel around this diverse country.

They would see boom and near-boom conditions in all sorts of unexpected places (even in the much-despised Isaan). You just need to see the traffic on rural arterial routes and compare it with 4 or 5 years ago to see that major economic change is happening. And what used to be rural roads are now outer suburban roads stretching ever onwards with strip development [cf The West 1950s-1970s].

????⁉️  despised Isaan??  why would anyone say that??...(BTW I dnt live there, but know people that do)......its a great break from the hustle & bustle.......but boom and near-boom conditions??  I chalk that up to natural progression, The whole Thailand has never been "stagnant" where there wasn't any sort of 'progression'  -  it has just mainly concentrated on urban/large cities............rural Thailand will catch up in its slow, much-loved pace.  I have been places in the US that couldn't get an Internet signal, have never had that problem anywhere in Thailand.  Peace

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Brits are getting a double whammy  

I am wondering why Brits don't buy $$ now and exchange $$ in Baht??  Wouldn't they make out better??

Dear oh dear dont give up your day job....

Edited by Chivas
  • Haha 2

This time is different. Thailand will soon take over the world, Thai will be the standard language and 1 THB = $15

You know when people start worrying that something is not going to end, panicking to buy in. That's when the bubble bursts.

Who cares? If you can't afford to lose a few baht on your currency you are a failure in life and should pack up and go home! (Although it's more expensive to live there, so that really doesn't make any sense).

Sorry, I just had to mock the attitude of those who post about anyone not having 800,000 sitting around to put in a Thai bank.

On topic: I believe the dollar was down to 29 a couple years ago? If uncertainty is the culprit then with Trump in office I'd peg the dollar at 17. On the bright side (for expats) China is having some problems. That may slow the tourist bonanza as they will want to keep that money at home. That could drop the baht a bit, but then they would double the taxes on beer and tobacco to make up for it.  

• Confused 2

I live in Khon Kaen, in the much-despised Isaan.  (I love that.  You keep thinking that and keep away).

I have never seen so many empty shop houses all round the city, there's empty shops and stalls in Central and Oasis and Big C.  It seems to me the economy is not doing as well as it was and I have been here 18 years.

• Like 2

Hmm ......... Certainly uphere in Isaan the economy is booming, new houses going up as fast as ever, so unlikely the baht is going to fall in the near future. Sure, loads of empty property, but it doesn't stop the building.

For the pound, all tied up in Brexit. Brexit called off, GBP will hit 45-48 baht (not as high as pre Brexit, because Baht is stronger). Soft Brexit, 42-43 baht, up because at least uncertainty ended. No Deal, 35 baht, because a disaster could happen. If hard brexit doesn't have to many disasters, could hit 40 again by end of 2020. 2022 or later, all scenarios, - crystal ball.

If you still have a home in the UK, i wouldn't sell yet, you might need it if Thailand prices you out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rickudon said:

If you still have a home in the UK, i wouldn't sell yet, you might need it if Thailand prices you out.

Makes sense... when the country where most most of the people earn 7 pounds a day

Out price those when 7 pounds hardly buys a meal.

It means something is fishy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

Makes sense... when the country where most most of the people earn 7 pounds a day

Out price those when 7 pounds hardly buys a meal.

It means something is fishy.

I stay in the UK for a couple of months a year. Eating out is expensive, but i mainly eat at home and spend about 25 GBP a week on food while there - 1000 baht ..... And with the NHS, bus pass and other perks, the only real issue is housing.

In Thailand, the changes to Immigration visa requirements over the last 10 years has been extensive. Add in the exchange rate, health costs and if these all continue to change at the same rate the 'retirement' crowd will shrink a lot.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, Stocky said:

Well you'd hope just about every bit of bad news has already been factored into the GBPeso exchange rate, so any sort of final curtain to Brexit should be met with relief and something of a recovery.

The bounce back will be bigger if the UK eventually ends up remaining, a hard Brexit might see an initial bounce followed by further falls. But in the long run, once all the dust has settled, whichever way the UK goes the exchange rate will recover.

Presently it's the uncertainty, markets don't like uncertainty.

Once the dust has settled , ha ha , 

Google the five year forecast for gbp / thb ,,  35 bht. 

Thanks those who voted , for brexit. 

Some of the predictions for Sterling Baht over the next 5 years are comedy gold at best

One of them puts Sterling at $0.78 to achieve his prediction. Frankly if the Pound was ever to hit parity with the Dollar than people would have a lot more to worry about financially back home than planning holidays to Thailand in the first place