BANGKOK 23 March 2019 09:44
webfact

‘Declare Bangkok a pollution control zone’

When I first arrived in Bangkok those red busses we're plying the roads belching smoke as they went.

Nearly thirty years later, still on the roads.

I refuse to purchase a car and I take public transportation over taxis as I can. I'm doing my part.

Maybe they cut cut down on the old vehicles and jet sorties.

Edited by Number 6

7 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

IMG_20190122_055508.jpg

PM2.5 at 235, INDOOR?????

That must be a record reading. Where are you located at?

7 hours ago, CGW said:

Beautiful breezy day up here outside Udon Thani, PM 2.5 ~10, was 16c at 07:00, now 27c humidity 43%, perfect - don't tell anyone! 🤐

Strange you would Bragg like that. The IQAir app says that PM2.5 in Udon Thani has been unsafe by Thai standards, more lenient than the WHO standard, pretty much all day today. Actually it's been worse than CM all day today where the wait quality is terrible already.

31 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Strange you would Bragg like that. The IQAir app says that PM2.5 in Udon Thani has been unsafe by Thai standards, more lenient than the WHO standard, pretty much all day today. Actually it's been worse than CM all day today where the wait quality is terrible already.

CGW needs to look for a better source of air pollution info:

1478476287_2019-01-2220_38_44.jpg.9ed3699a1195d3dce8a9fd40559afae6.jpg

https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/changwat-udon-thani/udon-thani

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

"Bragging", merely stating facts 🤪

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

CGW needs to look for a better source of air pollution info:

If you read my post, I state "outside" Udon Thani, 15 miles to be exact, I have no doubt the city is bad :shock1:

37 minutes ago, CGW said:

"Bragging", merely stating facts 🤪

If you read my post, I state "outside" Udon Thani, 15 miles to be exact, I have no doubt the city is bad :shock1:

So what's the measurement source of the supposed "good" air quality readings that you're claiming?

In general, especially in an area like Isaan where burning is probably the biggest air pollution contributor, I wouldn't expect outlying areas to be very different from the cities.

13 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

PM2.5 at 235, INDOOR?????

That must be a record reading. Where are you located at?

In the broom cupboard, where do you think? . . . lest you be thinking that all my house is this dirty?

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2019 at 4:14 AM, webfact said:

he government already has the legal tools to swiftly order powerful mitigation measures

Like the police already have the powers to lessen the daily road kill?

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So what's the measurement source of the supposed "good" air quality readings that you're claiming?

Seriously, how do you think I am coming up with measurements? obviously I have a PM2.5 meter, which today is reading 19 outside. Downtown UT is recording 49.6 in the worst area, they do tend to put monitoring equipment in the worse areas, not the cleanest! As the skies are clear I would guess that this is mainly traffic pollution as note the skies are clear.

I have a PM 2.5 meter as it can get quite bad up here, but at this time the wind is coming from China and it is both cool and clear.

e.JPG

• Thanks 1

Have a look at this satellite generated map of fire hotspots from NASA. Now check the Thailand - Cambodia border. Looks to me like a large part of the problem is coming from fires in Cambodia, since the current prevailing low-level winds are coming from that direction.

NASA FIRMS Fire Map

• Like 2

I've already declared my apartment to be a "pollution control zone". No cooking, smoking, talcum powder or any other atmosphere contaminant. Nothing wide open to Bangkok air with doors closed at all times. Filtering of air 24 x 7 with filter on bathroom window. I'm considering wearing my outdoor 2.5PM face mask 24 x 7 (except during sex and eating) within my apartment, but that may scare the geckos.