Democratic U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris jumps into 2020 White House race

webfact

On 1/23/2019 at 1:13 AM, lannarebirth said:

My attitude mirrors that of women who didn't sleep their way up the career ladder. Men too I imagine.

Right. Women just love it when men use words like "chick" and "mistress". And when they assume that because a woman had an affair with a man she owes her success to him. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's valid to discuss the Israel policy position of any candidate for president. As far as Jews, a strong majority of American Jews are liberal democrats that also support the right of Israel to exist and defend herself. J street is the more liberal American Jewish pro Israel lobby which includes almost all democrats and Aipac is the much more right wing American Jewish pro Israel lobby that is dominated by republicans. Back to Harris, this is interesting and it will come up in the campaign, helping her with some and hurting her with others --

https://www.jta.org/2019/01/11/politics/5-jewish-things-to-know-about-kamala-harris

Most relevantly, the article mentions that she's more Aipac than J street. That surprised me and not in a positive way.

However, I continue to find Harris a very impressive and strong candidate. Like most people I don't expect any candidate to match my views exactly. 

Just now, stevenl said:

Apparently she raised more money since her candicy announcement than Bernie did in 2016 (or maybe 2015) same period since announcement.

Impressive.

Unless she messes it up herself, expect her to be in the final group after most of the winnowing. 

5 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Right. Women just love it when men use words like "chick" and "mistress". And when they assume that because a woman had an affair with a man she owes her success to him. 

I'll grant you chick belongs to another era but is there a more proper, politically correct synonym for mistress I'm unaware of?

14 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Suuure. I'm sure that as a young 30something attorney, she enjoyed working 'under' Willie Brown, a married man in his 60s who just happened to be one of the upper circle in Democratic/San Francisco politics. Pure coincidence that Brown then appointed her to two cushy government jobs with large salaries and little responsibility.  

and now it's all over for her...

Former SF Mayor Willie Brown admitted that not only did he have an affair with her while he was married, he also admits having a hand in helping her career.

So here's a woman that will gladly sleep with someone's husband to further her career...  or maybe we are to believe she didn't know he was married & has a thing for guys 30 years her senior.

NEXT!

20,000 to see her today in Oakland. Nice start to the campaign. On the plus side, she has lived in Canada, so she knows first hand  what the USA can aspire to. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/quality-of-life-rankings

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/01/27/kamala-harris-president-oakland-rally-campaign-kickoff/

14 hours ago, pedro01 said:

and now it's all over for her...

Former SF Mayor Willie Brown admitted that not only did he have an affair with her while he was married, he also admits having a hand in helping her career.

So here's a woman that will gladly sleep with someone's husband to further her career...  or maybe we are to believe she didn't know he was married & has a thing for guys 30 years her senior.

NEXT!

Indeed. When the sordid details of her past behavior come to light, there is no way that she will pass muster.  Nothing says 'integrity' like a public official sleeping her way to the top...

...and yes , before the mob jumps in, Trump is also guilty of adultery and should be castigated for it. Scummy behavior certainly. But there is no evidence that he used his 'charms' to further his career or curry favour with older politicians who could help him up the ladder. 

Amazing though how the mainstream media tiptoes around the issue. I've heard phrases like "she dated Willie Brown" and the like. They're all just dancing around the turd though. She made the conscious decision to sleep with a married man in order to gain political patronage.   Game over. 

Game over!?!

Dude, what I'm hearing is the same old misogyny game just beginning. 

Don't get too excited about one particular democratic candidate at this point, either to support or start to trash. 

It's way too early for that. 

Looks like Starbucks boy is serious about running as an independent. Egads. 

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Game over!?!

Dude, what I'm hearing is the same old misogyny game just beginning. 

Don't get too excited about one particular democratic candidate at this point, either to support or start to trash. 

It's way too early for that. 

Looks like Starbucks boy is serious about running as an independent. Egads. 

Where is the misogyny?  A young and ambitious attorney gives up her bod to an older, powerful political figure in return for patronage and favours.   

If the genders were reversed, the same would apply. A young male attorney "dates" a much older, married but politically connected female. He gets patronage and access to power, she gets access to his body.  

It's morality, not misogyny.  

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Where is the misogyny?  A young and ambitious attorney gives up her bod to an older, powerful political figure in return for patronage and favours.   

If the genders were reversed, the same would apply. A young male attorney "dates" a much older, married but politically connected female. He gets patronage and access to power, she gets access to his body.  

It's morality, not misogyny.  

Are you auditioning to be a  Fox News pundit?
Dude, who do you think you're fooling?

"trump" fans wouldn't vote for any democrat and he's got to be the most immoral/amoral man in American history, politician or otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Are you auditioning to be a  Fox News pundit?
Dude, who do you think you're fooling?

"trump" fans wouldn't vote for any democrat and he's got to be the most immoral/amoral man in American history, politician or otherwise.

Come now, hyperbole doesn't suit you. 

I'm not a particular Trump fan either.  If another Democrat, such as Jim Webb, had won the nomination, I would have supported him.  About "The Donald", there were probably 4 other candidates I would have chosen ahead of him in the GOP primaries. It just amuses me to see how quickly his detractors jump to such childish extremes.  And how easily they are provoked to paroxysms of sputtering rage.

In any case the subject at hand was Senator Harris and HER immoral/amoral behavior. What do you think of it- acceptable in a presidential hopeful, or disqualifying?

From what I know now, not disqualifying.

I get that her opponents will try to trash her with it.

I'm an admirer of Willie Brown and so was she.

It's no secret that they were involved. It was consensual. It's no secret that the very powerful Willie Brown has helped a number of now famous politicians male and female without being in a relationship with them. I don't care if she had sex with him or not. You're assuming she got his help over sexual services. Like he couldn't have hired prostitutes if he needed to pay for sex. I do know Harris is a very competent, experienced, and charismatic politician. From what I know of her progressive positions, I like that too. She's a contender, with this dirt sling or not. I don't think it's going to hurt her chances to be nominated or elected.

However, at the current time she is not my favorite but I can imagine her becoming my favorite later.

Let this develop naturally. 

Fair enough. Willie was well known as a major power player and kingmaker in Democratic circles for a long time. Lots of people kissed his ring, Pelosi and others among them. Just one kissed something else, though.  Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that makes a difference. It shows a side of a person that I don't like, no matter their competence or charisma. 

I think there is still a puritanical streak in American voters, even in Democrats. They may put up with a little adultery, but not when political power is mixed in. Especially in these days of the "me too" movement, the image of a young woman giving it up for some financial or other incentive to an older powerful man isn't a good one. I'm not saying she was pressured or assaulted by any means, she's strong enough to decide on her own. Just that it may cast a long shadow on her future in politics outside of California. Californians put up with it, but I'm not sure about the rest of the country. 

Just now, Hanaguma said:

Fair enough. Willie was well known as a major power player and kingmaker in Democratic circles for a long time. Lots of people kissed his ring, Pelosi and others among them. Just one kissed something else, though.  Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that makes a difference. It shows a side of a person that I don't like, no matter their competence or charisma. 

I think there is still a puritanical streak in American voters, even in Democrats. They may put up with a little adultery, but not when political power is mixed in. Especially in these days of the "me too" movement, the image of a young woman giving it up for some financial or other incentive to an older powerful man isn't a good one. I'm not saying she was pressured or assaulted by any means, she's strong enough to decide on her own. Just that it may cast a long shadow on her future in politics outside of California. Californians put up with it, but I'm not sure about the rest of the country. 

You haven't been paying attention. The most sex hypocritical bible thumping Christian fundamentalists are fully on board with "trump" whose name is basically synonymous with sex sleaze. It's not the damaging issue for Harris that you imagine or hope for.

Nice try, no soiled cigar.

Next … 

11 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

It's all in your mind.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

You haven't been paying attention. The most sex hypocritical bible thumping Christian fundamentalists are fully on board with "trump" whose name is basically synonymous with sex sleaze. It's not the damaging issue for Harris that you imagine or hope for.

Nice try, no soiled cigar.

Next … 

We'll see.  I think she'll flame out midway through the primaries.  She does have a good background in dirty politics though, San Francisco is famous/infamous for dirty tricks and playing rough. 

A lot of the bible thumpers were never fully on board with Trump, they reluctantly picked him as the least worst choice. A lot also stayed home, as you can see by the number of votes cast in the 2016 election. 

At least you were able to make one post before returning to your tirades. It was nice to read. Maybe we can try again sometime?

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

We'll see.  I think she'll flame out midway through the primaries.  She does have a good background in dirty politics though, San Francisco is famous/infamous for dirty tricks and playing rough. 

A lot of the bible thumpers were never fully on board with Trump, they reluctantly picked him as the least worst choice. A lot also stayed home, as you can see by the number of votes cast in the 2016 election. 

At least you were able to make one post before returning to your tirades. It was nice to read. Maybe we can try again sometime?

Well, I'll give you this much dude.

It would be better for her if she didn't have this story in her past.

Obviously it opens her up for a sexualized insult brand from "trump" if she becomes a threat to him.

Of course he'll negative brand anyone that he considers an enemy anyway. But calling Nancy Pelosi Nancy is about a weak an insult as it gets. No negative branding name for Putin though, figure that one out, it isn't hard.

Again she may win or she may lose but it won't be decided on what happened with Willie Brown. 

It seems a lot of Democrats are thinking, "hell, if Trump can get elected, ANYONE can get elected!" (they may have a point frankly). I think they see 2020 as a rare chance to beat an incumbent President.  Hence the stampede to declare their candidacies. 

Like I said, I think that Sen. Harris may have a hard time appealing to people in flyover country. I can see her managing to lose to Trump quite easily. 

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

It seems a lot of Democrats are thinking, "hell, if Trump can get elected, ANYONE can get elected!" (they may have a point frankly). I think they see 2020 as a rare chance to beat an incumbent President.  Hence the stampede to declare their candidacies. 

Like I said, I think that Sen. Harris may have a hard time appealing to people in flyover country. I can see her managing to lose to Trump quite easily. 

So I guess you're in the stay safe crowd which would be who, Biden?

I'm not going to predict who will win now. It's way to early for that. We don't even know if "trump" will be running in 2020. He could be in prison or resigned. 

Also Starbucks coffee boy is serious. That changes everything. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So I guess you're in the stay safe crowd which would be who, Biden?

I'm not going to predict who will win now. It's way to early for that. We don't even know if "trump" will be running in 2020. He could be in prison or resigned. 

Also Starbucks coffee boy is serious. That changes everything. 

Good question. Biden is too old IMHO. He also has a track record of dismal failure in his past tries to get the nomination. Topped out at something like 2% support. I think a few people are hanging back and waiting to see how the Muller investigation ends. Possibly one or two Democratic governors like Steve Bullock of Montana are hanging back too.

Starbucks guy could be interesting, another Ross Perot moment perhaps?

Starbucks boy doesn't want to be a spoiler and give it to "trump" he wants to win.

He's expecting it to be "trump" vs. a progressive which is more than likely.

So he would run as independent centrist.

He could potentially win that way and he also could give a gift to "trump."

He has every right to run of course but I wish he wouldn't. 

35 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Why would I listen to a political party that doesn't even know the difference between boys and girls? They need to be gender neutral so as not get confused.

if you disagree with their tenets you should not.

But the same applies for any party. If the  tenets of a particular party call for a free market and your leader chooses winners and losers, obviously that leader does not adhere to the nenets of that party and should not be their leader.  If they continue to follow that leader then that leader has userpen that party.

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Come now, hyperbole doesn't suit you. 

I'm not a particular Trump fan either.  If another Democrat, such as Jim Webb, had won the nomination, I would have supported him.  About "The Donald", there were probably 4 other candidates I would have chosen ahead of him in the GOP primaries. It just amuses me to see how quickly his detractors jump to such childish extremes.  And how easily they are provoked to paroxysms of sputtering rage.

In any case the subject at hand was Senator Harris and HER immoral/amoral behavior. What do you think of it- acceptable in a presidential hopeful, or disqualifying?

it's disqualifying.

It'll turn a lot of women off. 

The idea that this is 'puritanical' is ludicrous. No-one likes people that would sleep with your spouse. There is nothing puritanical about that - it's just a scummy thing to do. 

Even more so when it's to further your career. In fact, no-one likes people at work that screw their way to the top. Again - it's not a puritanical thing, it's just that people don't like ho's.

As for JingThings precious comments that the fact that she was screwing him had nothing to do with the fact he helped her career - fortunately, voters are not that naive... 

Women don't like it. Rightly so. Her opposition will be all over this. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's no secret that they were involved. It was consensual. It's no secret that the very powerful Willie Brown has helped a number of now famous politicians male and female without being in a relationship with them. I don't care if she had sex with him or not. You're assuming she got his help over sexual services.

It is a fair assumption.

I presume you think she just likes older men and couldn't find a partner that wasn't married too! 

She boned and old married guy to get on. It is what it is.

Archived