PM May tries to tweak defeated Brexit plan, refuses to rule out no-deal

webfact

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Personally (but obviously I'm biased), I think the only way forward is another referendum (heavy sigh), but with only 2 options:-

1) Accept the deal agreed between May and the EU

2) Reject the deal, and immediately declare that the UK is leaving the EU on the 29th March.

Option 1 defeated by the largest margin in parliamentary history. How can it ever be an option in a new referendum? Might as well abolish parliament.

The defeat for May's deal was truly decisive (unlike the result of the Brexit referendum).

46 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Personally (but obviously I'm biased), I think the only way forward is another referendum (heavy sigh), but with only 2 options:-

1) Accept the deal agreed between May and the EU

2) Reject the deal, and immediately declare that the UK is leaving the EU on the 29th March.

41 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Option 1 defeated by the largest margin in parliamentary history. How can it ever be an option in a new referendum? Might as well abolish parliament.

The defeat for May's deal was truly decisive (unlike the result of the Brexit referendum).

True, but it leaves us still in 'no mans' land'.

Having voted down the eu and mays' agreement - and determined that no deal brexit will not happen - MPs are (IMO) hoping for a 'genie in the bottle' to appear that will save them!

And this is unlikely to happen.  They've left themselves in a more than uncomfortable position, with (as far as I can see), no way out.

Which is why I think that the only way forward is to go back to the electorate and ask whether they are prepared to accept the deal loved by may and the eu - or just leave.

The uk and eu have 'negotiated' (????) for more than 2 years - and this was the best deal they could come up with!

Why try to find ways to prolong the uncertainty (whilst still paying into the eu) for a few more years?  If they couldn't do it in more than 2 years, then they're not going to be able to do it given a few more years.

13 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

What is it with all those Tom, Dick and Harry making a fool out of themselves for the whole world to watch on YouTube? First that Pat whatsoever, now this genius. And then they complain when people notice that Brexiteers tend to be uneducated? 

OK, brains. Now, try tackling the ball rather than the man. Or is your logic machine on the blink again?

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

They've left themselves in a more than uncomfortable position, with (as far as I can see), no way out.

Come on, let’s not overcomplicate things and turn something straightforward into rocket science: There are options on the table. Each option has its pros and cons. All have been discussed. Now decide. 

The problem is that the parliament is either a bunch of cowards who are scared to make a decision, or a bunch of dreamers chasing pink unicorns. If they all would just remember what their duty is, they would simply make a decision. 

But yes, if parliament is not willing or able to decide, who’s the one to make the call? The only one left is the people. 

5 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I didn’t tackle the man. 

Well, you certainly tried, implying Politico is "uneducated" and a "fool" - when he all too clearly is neither.  

Having failed to bring down the man you sneeringly call "this genius" (nobody ever tell you sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?), it's time to go for the ball. 

Unless, of course, you are willing to concede that is it already in the back of the net.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:14 AM, Nigel Garvie said:

This is refreshing to read, common sense, which is at a premium in Brexit threads. The PM saying a new referendum wouldn't be fair on voters is idiotic. She said it would threaten social cohesion. What social cohesion for heavens sake, society has been ripped apart by Brexit already. The numties believe everything wrong in their lives is down to the EU, as they have been told to think. Duh -austerity was a Cameron/Osbourne policy, bleeding the poor for the bankers crimes, while the rich made hay big time.

Now May is attempting another delaying tactic - she is the most humiliated PM in my lifetime and she wants a repeat performance!

"THERESA May has confirmed that she will take the same plan back to Brussels to ask for the same changes before the same MPs vote on it the same way. 

The prime minister has confounded critics who accused her of being out of ideas with her innovative new approach of repeating her actions exactly to achieve an identical result."

can easily relate to what you say

funny thing is, there is no will in the UK to stop her,

Tory is happy with here as PM

parliament is happy with Tory and her

foggy island is weird indeed

10 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

because if nobody does smth sensible pretty soon

that ditched deal is the only alternative to no-deal, which parliament doesn't want

or you revoke A50 and remain

watching the daily display of total ineptness in the UK political system,

I guess that you are now down to remain or may-deal

just too bad that the UK political system is totally unable to take responsibility for serious issues

11 hours ago, persimmon said:

Hard to see how Brexit can happen now -

MPs have voted against the only deal on offer 

MPs say they will vote against a " no deal " Brexit.

So,it looks like a second referendum is the only way out.

I don`t see whats so bad about leaving on WTO rules.They impose tariffs on our goods,we impose tariffs on their goods - it should even out over time.

I really dislike that expression leave on WTO rules, its misleading to say the least.

If UK should leave EU she leaves on agreed EU-UK rules,  WTO has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Having said that, I don't think that UK is prepared for WTO trading.

quotas tariffs offers schedules are not ready and agreed by members,

UK started way too late with preparing for WTO, indulging in her wet dreams about brilliant trade deals with EU.

what a total disaster the UK government is

no sweat, parliament likes it

foggy island has very severe political challenges

On 1/22/2019 at 4:48 AM, Baerboxer said:

A referendum in the UK is no more than a glorified opinion poll. 

Parliament is sovereign in a representative parliamentary democracy like the UK.

But she had no problem herself when she tried to undermine British parliamentary democracy by trying to misuse the Royal Prerogative to give her executive powers to make unilateral decisions. Thank heavens the Supreme Court stopped her and well done to the courageous people who challenged her through the courts.

A stubborn, arrogant, hypocrite whose lack of leadership, intelligence and imagination is leading the country down a very dangerous road.

agree with a lot you of what you say

TM tried that Royal Prerogative trick, not once, but twice.

At that time I penned a few posts airing the view that maybe the UK PM should be changed

to somebody who had a better understanding of UK legal system.

People on the thread thought I was just daft, fair enough.

But it doesn't really matter what she does or does not do, the political system in UK apparently loves her

she flies high through non conf in Tory

Tory and TM flies through non conf in parliament

what can you say, this is what UK politics wants, enjoy while you can

(I am not subscribing to your comments re parliament and sovereignty)

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Well, you certainly tried, implying Politico is "uneducated" and a "fool" - when he all too clearly is neither.  

Having failed to bring down the man you sneeringly call "this genius" (nobody ever tell you sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?), it's time to go for the ball. 

No one forced him to make a fool of himself by talking drivel on YouTube. Don’t get me wrong; I understand there cannot only be smart and well-educated people in this world. But then I don’t go to YouTube and talk about things that I don’t have a clue about. However, I appreciate your empathy for this fool. I guess you’re right; we don’t laugh about handicapped people so we shouldn’t laugh about him either. 

No one forced him to make a fool of himself by talking drivel on YouTube. Don’t get me wrong; I understand there cannot only be smart and well-educated people in this world. But then I don’t go to YouTube and talk about things that I don’t have a clue about. However, I appreciate your empathy for this fool. I guess you’re right; we don’t laugh about handicapped people so we shouldn’t laugh about him either. 

Where is it written that Remainers can only be smart and well educated, while Leavers are all fools and morons?
Did it ever occur to you that you (and the rest) have got it wrong? So you think the majority of the voters don’t have a clue about it?
The more the mass Remain hysteria goes on, the more I wonder if it’s mass delusion or brainwashing. Could it be all that edjumacation?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Just shut up and pick the ball out of the net.

5 hours ago, Loiner said:

Where is it written that Remainers can only be smart and well educated, while Leavers are all fools and morons?
Did it ever occur to you that you (and the rest) have got it wrong? So you think the majority of the voters don’t have a clue about it?
The more the mass Remain hysteria goes on, the more I wonder if it’s mass delusion or brainwashing. Could it be all that edjumacation?

No.  It's self-interest - along with the stupidity of more than a few, who believed that they would no longer be able to travel within the eu.....

Had to laugh when a poster posted a youtube video of a stupid leaver - as there are many youtubes of equally stupid remainers!

No.  It's self-interest - along with the stupidity of more than a few, who believed that they would no longer be able to travel within the eu.....

Had to laugh when a poster posted a youtube video of a stupid leaver - as there are many youtubes of equally stupid remainers!

I know, I know. Another myth propagated by the Remain lobby is that the youth element is more knowledgable than the older Brexiteers. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Remainers have really done a job on them.

I had the misfortune to catch a clip from one of the reality mind numbers. Two celebrity bints talking about Brexit:
“Wot you fink abaht Brexit then?”
“Woss that?”
“Yunno - leaving Europe an all that.”
“Ah dunno babe. Does that mean we can’t go on holidays no more?”

I kid you not. Dumb and dumber. That is typical of so many of the UK young vote, and not restricted to the z-listers. Remainers on this forum particularly enjoy delusions of superiority in knowledge and education.
Total ball licks.

Archived