Family paid 200 baht after their son, 7, threw gasoline over neighbor's kid aged 4

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the biggest problems here in Thailand is that there is no support give by the father of a divorced couple and there is no family social security for the financial support of the mother and child so the mother has no choice but to leave the child with her elderly parents while she is forced to go a seek work elsewhere. This is not a western cultured country like the one that you all come from and there is no taxes, child support, family support, social security like there is in western countries. There are many children that have been left with their grandparents to look after them while their mother goes away and works because of the deadbeat fathers who do not have to take any responsibility for the financial upbringing of their children. Thailand needs to become a Nanny State (which a lot of you hate) and force the fathers to take the responsibility of the upbringing of their children. Don't just sit there and blame the mother.

5 hours ago, neeray said:

A very attentive mother, very caring ! Dumps the kid on grandparents to raise. Presumably, no contact at all between October and New Years, not a single phone call, not even to report such a tragic event?

Yet I would guess that they all have mobile phones.

Okay, I'll cut some slack here. Maybe there was contact but the grandparents didn't fess up to the burning of the child.

Which then begs the question - did the mother not talk to her son between October and the New Year?

not once? Even though the article says he was hospitalised for 24 days?

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

unbelievable, the whole incident, leaving the child to play with a 7 year old, the 7 year old having access to petrol and some sort of a lighter, the grand parents not telling the mother, the police not taking action, 200 baht being given if your poor your poor, but 200 baht is taking the p**s

It is just like a huge snowball of shit, it just gets bigger and messier the more it goes on.

Nobody reading this is forced to stay and can back home and have "normal" laws and penalties.

So if you are hit by a tuk-tuk and lose your arms and legs tonight and get awarded 100 baht......well, don't go crying about it.

We can't change anything.  Except living here.  

I see horrible stuff all the time, and i haven't gotten on a plane yet.  If you see a sex worker, do you flee the country?   555.  of course not.  

we support many people here.  we are partly to blame for it all.....

6 hours ago, mok199 said:

Parenting is something many need to take more seriously...

For a great many children or folk now parents, the only parenting they have ever known is from Grandma and Grandpa,

and oftentimes that is more akin to glorified babysitting than to hands-on birth parental nurturing.

2 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

know dozens of kids like this

How many dozens? let's not exaggerate 3/4 dozens?  So you are at least a school principal in Thailand ...

Am I stupid.  Sometimes I forget that what I read is on ThaiVisa where not to say as much harm as possible about this country is not fashionable.

What difference does it make if we know them personally or not, thousands and thousands of fatherless children live in Thailand..because  thai males are too busy with their cute hair and 110 scoopy's to man up and take responsibility...

1 minute ago, kannot said:

sterilisation is  something they need  to take  more seriously

1 minute ago, kannot said:

sterilisation is  something they need  to take  more seriously

Geobels had forward thinking ideas like that.

What a dreadful sentiment to make, tragically you probably think that way.

1 hour ago, bkkgriz said:

Go to a random village in the north east. It's really not that hard to find.

No offence but please Sir do pay attention to what you answered to, I answered to someone saying " I know dozens of kids like this", not to the number of kids in this situation in the country, where I suppose it is not in dozens but maybe in thousands. I am sorry for the people not seeing the difference in my answering this post.

1 hour ago, Teacherduck said:

If that photo is the body of a 4 year old boy, I am going blind. Maybe I need glasses !!!!!!

I agree. Just looking the upper leg muscle formation is enough to doubt. Is this an old case?

6 hours ago, DM07 said:

So ...let me get that straight: the mother of the 4 year old, left the kid with her parents!?

The grandparents of the 4 year old, left the kid alone to go to work...nearby...?!

A stupid 7 year old throws burning gasoline over the 4 year old?!

...and now the mother seeks justice, from the parents f the 7 year old?!

Did I get that right so far?

If I were the judge, I would sentence the mother, her parents and the parents of the 7 year old to some severe hits on the head!

All of them need to get a lesson in parenting and taking responsibility!

Jesus Christ, this country is unbelievable!

You got it all right... but here in the land of smiles it's the norm!

Nail all of them & get the kid into a sensible family.

I remember growing up in Maryland, and gasoline was one of those things that was seriously off limits.  There was just NO WAY any home had gasoline bottles just sitting around, out in the open where children are playing.  Grownups had me so terrified of the stuff that when I turned 16 and could finally drive, I avoided self-service stations and only went to those stations that still had attendants to fill up your tank.

People love to disparage the nanny state, but where children are concerned living in a nanny state isn't quite so bad.

6 hours ago, DM07 said:

So ...let me get that straight: the mother of the 4 year old, left the kid with her parents!?

The grandparents of the 4 year old, left the kid alone to go to work...nearby...?!

If I were the judge, I would sentence the mother, her parents and the parents of the 7 year old to some severe hits on the head!

Including the Police !!!!!!!

Ah well what is new. THere are mothers who just forget their child and leave it in the car to die, several cases in USA. BUt not only in USA. Kids do stupid things and this is one of those  things, not all neglection by parents.

I remember me being very young once, stealing matches to start a fire in a basement with a friend. Happily we didnt succeed, but how come i ever had the idea with my friend? Guess many kids (what did you do once?) at one point try to do something (or more) stupid. 

My oldest son (then 5 or so) played outside with a friend and found some berries, which they decided to eat. Well they told it somehow, amazing, and then we had to go to hospital.

You never know what are youngsters doing some time some how and has nothing to do with neglection but the own thinking ways of youngsters. 

This one is very sad, as there will be many surgeries to get it some right. 

Once met a guy, his FATHER was stupid and tried to make the bbq work with a bottle of flammable liquid, it caught fire,in panic he threw it away and exploded over his son. Many fire wounds all over his body and many operations.

It's just one stupid moment in time, which can change your life.   

1 hour ago, puukao said:

Nobody reading this is forced to stay and can back home and have "normal" laws and penalties.

So if you are hit by a tuk-tuk and lose your arms and legs tonight and get awarded 100 baht......well, don't go crying about it.

We can't change anything.  Except living here.  

I see horrible stuff all the time, and i haven't gotten on a plane yet.  If you see a sex worker, do you flee the country?   555.  of course not.  

we support many people here.  we are partly to blame for it all.....

The water has truly boiled in this guys pot...

You may support the family and half the village but many in Thailand make better choices...

These “if you don’t like it then go home” responses are Moronic

I don’t  think this situation of having kids and dumping them with grandparents is a neccissity like many make it out to be....the WHO did a paper on this phenomena in Thailand and called it an “epidemic” that is quite unique to Thailand. There are plenty of other poor countries (many poorer) but they do not follow this same system of dumping kids on the grandparents.

Too many of these families see kids simply as a pension plan. A Thai guy I know has a daughter who married a German guy and lives now in Germany. His daughter works and sends all the money back to Thailand and built a house for him....the guy had a really good job and quit at 53 because his daughter was now sending him money to live on....just incredibly lazy and that situation is happening all up and down the country.

Nothing will change until that laziness, child as early retirement plan culture ends. It is just laziness and nothing to do with neccesity.

I was born and raised in the USA and at age 4 0r 7 or thereabouts I can recall as a child one time, living with an older brother and parents in a small mobil home..... I was curious and used a metallic 'hairpin' to insert into an electrical outlet which promptly blowed out a fuse and the lights went out..... By the time my father got up and changed the fuse and restored the lights.. I had already removed the hairpin and nobody ever knew (and I was too shy to tell)..... except I still remember at 79 years old now.....

Now with that in my own past I can just 'imagine' this 7 year old was me and didn't know the results of a coke can of gas being lite on fire and then in shock throwing the can........

So.... therefore..... I try to analyse this situation........

Since I wasn't there all I can do is guess.......

In the USA we have murders... and they are measured in severity by whether they are 'premeditated' or 'accidental killings'.... In this case (and again I say - I wasn't there).... I may relate this 'burning' as similar to an 'accidental death' without 'malice'................. versus... an 'intentional' infliction of pain 'with malice'.......

There are many 'sad cases' of bodily harm -- around the world and in Thailand......

200 Baht is rediculous and the family of the 4 y.o. victim needs more help...... But in Thailand I can believe that there are poor people (that this present Gov't couldn't care less about) who can't fulfill the obligation that their 7 Y.O. son created and THEY just don't have intelligence enough to deal with the situation...... Again..... since I wasn't there..... IF IT TURNS OUT that the 7 year old's family has 2 or 3 BENZ cars in their driveway.... then MY suggestions are totally wrong.....

BUT... Thank goodness for the PAVEENA FOUNDATION who are volunteering help to the victim...... I feel like starting to make routine 'donations' to an Organization (PAVEENA) who is there to help in cases as this........

And if the 7 Y.O. is left wihtout a strong reprimand/ reminder as a lesson in what we can do which injures others, and some price we must pay for our mistakes......... Then this kid is sure to grow up as one of the MANY worthless 'Thai GUYS......

All round the world it’s quite normal for mothers to have children looked after by grandparents. Why are people here blaming the mother? Perhaps they are rich enough never to need to trust their own parents. The grandparents  who went to work and the parents of the 7 year old child are to blame for raising a little physcopath.

8 hours ago, DM07 said:

You are spot on 

Thai people just don't take responsibility for anything 

But the parents of the 7 year old boy is low life piece of..... 

Where are police in this case???? 

49 minutes ago, Leef said:

All round the world it’s quite normal for mothers to have children looked after by grandparents. Why are people here blaming the mother? Perhaps they are rich enough never to need to trust their own parents. The grandparents  who went to work and the parents of the 7 year old child are to blame for raising a little physcopath.

No it is not normal, at least not to the extent that it is done in a Thailand where it has been identified as a “massive” issue in this country by UNICEF:

https://www.unicef.org/media/media_73914.html

Archived