Allow one's dead body to be used for organ procurement (harvesting)?

JimmyJ

In the US, the state I previously lived in and the current one both ask on the Driver's License form if one will allow one's organs to be procured (does sound more benign than "harvested") upon death and they indicate that on one's license if yes.

Does Thailand have anything like that - to indicate on DL or elsewhere?

I was also reading up on Wills and Living Wills.

In one older  thread NancyL states that the LanaCareNet form has been accepted for Living Wills unless a hospital insists on its own form.

Is that still accurate?

I read in one thread of a wallet card indicating Living Will. That's an excellent idea - is that from LanaCare also?

One other Will question: Reading threads on Thai wills, it seems that even if I have a US [non-Living] will, that if I have funds in a Thai bank I need a separate Thai will for that?

The US executor cannot get access to the Thai funds?

1. Organ donation: see

https://english.redcross.or.th/node/52

But you have to be under age 60

2. Living will: you need to have it in Thai. I am niot familiar with the Lanna Care form, if it is in Thai or includes Thai translation and conforms to tour wishes it may work BUT almost all private hospitals at least have their own forms.

3.  Should note that wanting to be an organ donor and having a living will can sometimes be at cross purposes as it is necessary to keep you artificially alive to harvest organs.

4. In Thailand things do not work as legalistically as they do in the west. Even having an organ donor intention card and a living will, doctors will be most influenced by what next of kin say, so be sure to thoroughly brief whoever that is. If it is a Thai, will need a lot of effort and even then don't expect them to be very assertive with doctors, better to have a western relative or friend as back up or even to give them a health care power of attorney.

5. A US Executor can eventually access your funds but it will be much harder, take much longer in the absence of a Thai will. They are nto hard or expensive to make if all that is involved is a bank account, you can do it at the ampur office.

That is the only way to be an organ donor. Donating your body to a medical school is different from organ donation. In that case the organs are not harvested, rather once dead your body is used to train medical students. For this, you contact a medical school located near where you live and fill out a form. Make sure whomever would be handling your affairs when you die knows if the arrangement.

Some medical schools won't accept donation from fireigners e.g. Khon Kaen Univ won't. But I believe CMU and most if the schools in Bangkok will.

This removes the need to pay for cremation or burial. The Univ will take care of that when they are through with your remains.

Be aware that if you die from certain things (e.g. cancer) they won't accept the body. The Univ will inform you of these details.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived