2019 Pick up trucks

Just because we haven't had a Ford bashing thread for a while, here is an opportunity Transam ????

So, last year we "sold" our 2010 Ranger to our rubber cutter.. He pays us 5000 baht a month, for 5 years !! He got a good deal but he does a lot of odd jobs and is generally a nice guy, from nice family.

That has left us with the very old Nissan Big M, it's a family heirloom ???? No aircon, no seat belts and rather suspect brakes...

In 6 months time, I plan to be debt free and will then be looking at buying another truck towards the end of the year.

What is coming to the Thai market and worth taking a look at ? I know you can't go wrong with any of the modern trucks but some are better value than others.

Would be happy with another Ranger but not a Ford fanboy, so no worries testing any other models that come recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

5000 baht every month for 5 years, man that is a sweet deal you made there (as long as he pay).

If I was on the market today, I would look at the new 2.0 Ranger.

But don't listen to my advice since I am an official Ranger fan boy, my WT2.2 from 2013 have been flawless. ????

It's best to go test them all and then make up your mind.

Upgrading from a 2010 pick-up truck to a 2019 huh, you will feel you drive a limousine, so much has happened in 9 years.

Whilst the Ford ranger 3.2litre diesel is their top of the line, it is really worth considering it.

Japanese 'Mazda' motor/gearbox, Australian designed cab/chassis (said to be the only decent Ford Australia design) and locally made, so tax is less.

Nissan, Toyota, Izuzu, Mitzubishi all have 4 cyl engines, the 3.2litre engine is a 5 cylinder engine and thus the only one with an overlapping power stroke.

It's an ultra smooth, willing performer with long legs, somewhat like a 6 cylinder petrol engine.
Go test drive one, your 2010 ranger will feel more like a 'T' model in comparison.

I am going to the Bangkok Auto Show March 27 to April 8. I plan on buying a Ford or Toyota truck. 4 door not 2 so I know I will pay more on yearly tax but I dont like the 2 door trucks. Anyone tell me what deals I can expect at the auto show as far a discounts or freebies. 

I am From USA so my Ford F 150 trucks I have had were gasoline and the only diesel product I owned was a farm tractor. 

Help me understand Thailand. Do I want diesel or gas and why? I like the drive of the Ford Ranger but I see Toyota trucks everywhere I travel in Thailand and what about resale value?

I plan on moving to Khon Kaen next year and will use the truck more like a vehicle than a work truck. 

Thanks for your opinions and I don’t mean to hijack the OPs post but thought I would join in with some specific truck questions. 

One of my nephews is a manager at Mazda Sukothai.  He told me Mazda is having a new model truck come out next year.  I don't know anything more about it than that.  I'm guessing it is being upgraded with their Skyactiv features like on their sedans.

I don't think Thailand will be as draconian as the UK has been in its recent treatment of diesel vehicles but who knows with the current air pollution problem?  You'd certainly be well advised to give consideration to possible changes to laws which may well affect diesel vehicles when making your decision.

I recently rented a Nissan Navara petrol pick up and was pleasantly surpised by its fuel consumption/torque - not up there with a diesel but I wasn't filling it up every 2 minutes.

Buy S/Hand.

6-11 months old.

Low mileage.

Save yourself 2-300k on the new price.

Never ever buy a new motor.

Edit.

They are all pretty much a muchness.

Choose your favourite colour with the best price and the lowest mileage.

These days Thailand is the same as any other country - you lose 25% the day you drive it out of the showroom.

Buy S/Hand.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Buy S/Hand.

6-11 months old.

Low mileage.

Save yourself 2-300k on the new price.

Never ever buy a new motor.

Edit.

They are all pretty much a muchness.

Choose your favourite colour with the best price and the lowest mileage.

These days Thailand is the same as any other country - you lose 25% the day you drive it out of the showroom.

Buy S/Hand.

Where is a good place to buy a used car. A dealer or ????? thank you. 

22 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't think Thailand will be as draconian as the UK has been in its recent treatment of diesel vehicles but who knows with the current air pollution problem?  You'd certainly be well advised to give consideration to possible changes to laws which may well affect diesel vehicles when making your decision.

I recently rented a Nissan Navara petrol pick up and was pleasantly surpised by its fuel consumption/torque - not up there with a diesel but I wasn't filling it up every 2 minutes.

The vast majority of pickups in Thailand only have diesel. Didn't know that there was a Nissan Navara petrol. However, things can and do change and I haven't looked at these finer details - have always assumed that pickups are diesel here - even when you go to a petrol station and the attendants see you're driving a pickup they automatically assume you want diesel. The one exception was that the Toyota Hilux VIGO used to have a petrol option but it wasn't popular. No idea if the new REVO offers a petrol version.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:51 PM, Wake Up said:

Where is a good place to buy a used car. A dealer or ????? thank you. 

Yeah, but check around.

Not all dealers are the same.

Also the interweb.

Paying cash there are some good private deals to be had.

So basically every avenue...

Example, my Hilux 4 door Prerunner was 9 months old with 11k kms, Repo from a dealer, 570k.

List RRP at the time was 780k..........

This was 10 years ago.

I believe there are even better deals to be had now in 2019.......

Buying second hand...preferably buy from someone you know who can tell you the history of the car. Many wrecks are rebuilt and sold on. Even newish ones. 

I would buy new. It's a safe bet and resale of toyota and isuzu is very good. Even only ones are in high demand and sell for a good price. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, but check around.

Not all dealers are the same.

Also the interweb.

Paying cash there are some good private deals to be had.

So basically every avenue...

Example, my Hilux 4 door Prerunner was 9 months old with 11k kms, Repo from a dealer, 570k.

List RRP at the time was 780k..........

This was 10 years ago.

I believe there are even better deals to be had now in 2019.......

I want to buy something end of year not decide on pickup or MPV as I suppose I can use our old ISUZI if needed hauling crap. I have not found any cheap 2nd hand the 2nd hand car market is ridiculous compared to UK. In UK after 2 years lucky to get half, here it seems 2013 models still around 60% guee look for repo

Archived