Bamboo or Pine wood carpenter?

ywamer

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a cheap rabbit hutch (i.e. 1000 baht+) and have found some designs online that i'd like to take to a local bamboo carpenter/builder. Or maybe some other type of cheap wood like pine..?

Any ideas where I can find someone like this?

We are in Thailand now....what was cheap in the west is megabucks here, pine is more expensive than teak.

Also dont even consider a softwood if its going to be outside, it will be eaten or rot away, both will compete to be first!

Bamboo...yes, thats a reasonable choice if you can make a small structure from it, and its cheap. Left untreated you should get two years from it, protect it fot 5yrs

If it was me, i would simply go an buy a couple or three length of reclaimed teak or hardwood cladding 6/7inch wide for 150bt a 3m length.  No worries aboiy termites and no worries about rabbits teeth.

Then I would use the project to teach the kids how to measure, cut, use tools safely and make it a job for them to be proud of.

I hope thats the route you will go down.

19 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

If it was me, i would simply go an buy a couple or three length of reclaimed teak or hardwood cladding 6/7inch wide for 150bt a 3m length.

When you are you. where would you go in Chiang Mai to buy these ?

thanks, ~0:37;

Thanks for the replies. Just found a local bamboo slat cage for 350 baht on Hang Dong Road about a km south of the Samoeng Rd intersection.

We have also used teak in the past for making a swing at our house. That was a fun project. And quality wood. But the rabbit only gets bamboo. ????

Archived