Bangkok’s Marvel Theme Park Goes Bust After 7 Months

webfact

Bangkok’s Marvel Theme Park Goes Bust After 7 Months

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

IMG_3529-696x464.jpg

SAMUT PRAKAN — Southeast Asia’s first Marvel Entertainment theme park is going out of business just seven months after opening.

Marvel Experience Thailand, a 20,000sqm theme park complex which cost 1 billion baht to build at Mega Bangna, will close Jan. 30, the company announced Monday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2019/01/22/bangkoks-marvel-theme-park-goes-bust-after-7-months/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-22

Very poor management. Very expensive for Thai's. Ticketing software and booking software that did not work properly. mediocre rides and comic life size figures. very poor staff wages and almost no attempt at staff training or orientation. This thing was never going to make any money.

I see no reason why foreigner cannot pay more. they do it in the USA at especially state run businesses. I do feel if a foreigner has  thai driver's license they  should be charged thai prices. the problem is many foreigners are cheap SOBs. They have the money. What is your problem?  

11 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Very poor management. Very expensive for Thai's. Ticketing software and booking software that did not work properly. mediocre rides and comic life size figures. very poor staff wages and almost no attempt at staff training or orientation. This thing was never going to make any money.

Plus you could pretty much just wander in and take a real decent look around and a few photos without having to pay anything. Most people I saw did just that. They got the pics for Facebook and Instagram without having to spend any of their hard earned

7 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

I see no reason why foreigner cannot pay more. they do it in the USA at especially state run businesses. I do feel if a foreigner has  thai driver's license they  should be charged thai prices. the problem is many foreigners are cheap SOBs. They have the money. What is your problem?  

Many Thai's also have very big money but do not like to pay, what about foreign people who live here but choose not to drive on these dangerous roads and therefore do not have a driving licence, is this acceptable? what they should do is issue foreigners who reside here (e.g. retirement visas) to be issued with an identity card thereby entitling them to enter venues at Thai prices.

4 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

what about foreign people who live here but choose not to drive on these dangerous roads and therefore do not have a driving licence,

You honestly believe that there are people who chose to live here but also chose not to drive because they think the roads are too dangerous. Beggars belief.

OK let their Thai wife do the driving so they can stagger back from wherever.

I have many friends here (Bangkok) who do not drive but non cite fear of dangerous road conditions as a reason. Mostly it is abundance of convenient public transportation/ they can afford a driver/the wife drives everywhere/et al.

The challenge for this was the location.  If this was part of paragon or MBK or central world it might have had a chance.  but most tourists that have the money do not go to mega bangna.  The big problem probably was the amount of cost that the mall wanted for rent.  The only way to do these big box items is that they have to have the means to make money and have to be owend by the mall.

If you take a look at west Edmonton mall it owns the amusement park and the ice rink.  Big box stores are for shoppers.  I still don't know how EMQuartier with its high-end shops exists but time will tell. 

46 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

What? No they don’t. Their is no dual pricing in USA. It is illegal to do so.

ebeanoo1 your thinking is way off mark. The prices are way to high, that is why the business failed. I know if I was going there I would be paying the whole shot no matter how many people. all thai's but me. I would find the price to high.

2 hours ago, Seismic said:

And miles away from most of Bangkok’s population, with little public transport. 

No advertising that I ever saw, first thing I knew about it was when I was at Mega Bangna for something else.

My Wife took my Son (5yr old) there once... she said it was rubbish, not as good as all the other 'kids areas' but with a couple of Marvel Characters... 

My Wife Son visits a play area 2-3 times per week.... Bounce, Kidzoona, Kidzania, Funarium, playtime, Imaginaria, Playmondo, a new one at central world (I forget the name)... there is lots of competition - Marvel Simply could not compete... it wasn't as good as the others, it was more expensive... it was simply relying on the Marvel Name and nothing else... People visited it once, left poor reviews and that was it... 

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

And miles away from most of Bangkok’s population, with little public transport. 

No advertising that I ever saw, first thing I knew about it was when I was at Mega Bangna for something else.

Free bus stopped right outside from Udom Suk. We got on the wrong one and had to walk over to mega.

Saddly this is one of thousands of buisnessess closing or struggling, as we all watch Thailand slowly sink into a budget tour destination for the Chinese and Indians .
Doubt it. It's everything to do with thai mentality and total and complete lack of research. Their motto is make a bussiness , open doors, and will be rich, spend all money quick and live hi so

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

You honestly believe that there are people who chose to live here but also chose not to drive because they think the roads are too dangerous. Beggars belief.

OK let their Thai wife do the driving so they can stagger back from wherever.

I have many friends here (Bangkok) who do not drive but non cite fear of dangerous road conditions as a reason. Mostly it is abundance of convenient public transportation/ they can afford a driver/the wife drives everywhere/et al.

I've not seen any research done on the subject. Claims by both sides are merely snapshots of limited exposure. In the end, it matters little.

This what happens when foreigners are expected to pay double the price in compared to Thai's... foreigners and expats are not as stupid as before and do not want to be treated as walking ATM's anymore....take it or accept that the foreigners will leave it !!

3 hours ago, d2b2 said:

What? No they don’t. Their is no dual pricing in USA. It is illegal to do so.

It varies by state. In Nevada where I lived, discounts in some restaurants and businesses were available by showing a Nevada drivers license or state issued ID card. In California where I also lived, discounts were available for seniors over 62 at many restaurants. Discounts are available for a variety of venues, but I never saw one based on nationality...not that it doesn't exist.

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You are a temporary resident on a Non-Immigrant visa.

Why would they want to issue you with an ID card when you don't and will never likely qualify to emigrate here?

The "they" so freely refered to, do what "they" do, without my input, wishes or laments. I am merely living in Thailand at the pleasure of the government and make no waves, leave a small footprint and make as little noise as possible.

7 minutes ago, Benmart said:

It varies by state. In Nevada where I lived, discounts in some restaurants and businesses were available by showing a Nevada drivers license or state issued ID card. In California where I also lived, discounts were available for seniors over 62 at many restaurants. Discounts are available for a variety of venues, but I never saw one based on nationality...not that it doesn't exist.

Will some one prove me wrong please I live in WA Australia I have never ever seen a place who gives discount to WA drivers, yes if you are a pensioner you get discount but also pensioners from overseas

get discount but not at any restaurants only at the trains or the zoo and museum and so on

5 hours ago, Seismic said:

As is normal here, a "quality" operation all round....  :cheesy:

The wife and I passed this venture during a trip to Mega Bangna this past weekend, and neither of us had ever heard of it before or knew anything about it, other than seeing the obvious signage outside.

When our shuttle bus stopped there briefly, there were probably a dozen westerner family members (parents and kids) milling around, but didn't see any Thais on a Saturday morning.  And at 1500 baht per adult ticket, can't say I'm surprised!

Kind of amazing what 1 BILLION baht gets spent on (and lost on) in Thailand, assuming that reported investment amount has any relation to reality.

5 hours ago, ebean001 said:

Would you be OK if when shopping at 7-11, to have 20% added to your bin because you are presumably a foreigner ?

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Will some one prove me wrong please I live in WA Australia I have never ever seen a place who gives discount to WA drivers, yes if you are a pensioner you get discount but also pensioners from overseas

get discount but not at any restaurants only at the trains or the zoo and museum and so on

Cannot speak for WA but the NT big name hotels offer territorian rates in the low season in Darwin. Crocosaurus Cove theme park has an NT drivers licence deal to create a cheap season pass ticket.

RE : Thai dual pricing, I am finding it increasingly common to be denied Local pricing at National parks when producing Alien Card or drivers licence or yellow book. I get the usual "Falang" , no citizen etc. If we don't like it, we don't go simple. And they do not care either, they do not want us here but tolerate us if we stay quiet. All I do now, is try to make the best of what has not been spoilt and stay away from dual price anything. Its not going to ever change. Cheap local street food, cheapish beer, and cheap girls ????

7 hours ago, ebean001 said:

The problem is you and attitudes like yours that think it's OK to discriminate like that.

12 minutes ago, Mitch82 said:

Cannot speak for WA but the NT big name hotels offer territorian rates in the low season in Darwin. Crocosaurus Cove theme park has an NT drivers licence deal to create a cheap season pass ticket.

RE : Thai dual pricing, I am finding it increasingly common to be denied Local pricing at National parks when producing Alien Card or drivers licence or yellow book. I get the usual "Falang" , no citizen etc. If we don't like it, we don't go simple. And they do not care either, they do not want us here but tolerate us if we stay quiet. All I do now, is try to make the best of what has not been spoilt and stay away from dual price anything. Its not going to ever change. Cheap local street food, cheapish beer, and cheap girls ????

The girls are no longer cheap and you can get better value in European cities for women. The beer is now way overpriced and again you can get better value without the discrimination in Europe. Cheap local street food and cheap accommodation and that about sums it up.

Archived