What are my options for changing extension of stay from retirement to marriage

I realize that this information is all over this forum but my lousy computer and dodgy internet connection, make it a headache to try to sort all the facts. i appreciate any advice you can give. Here's the situation. I have been here on extension of stay from a Non-O visa obtained in Vientiane in 2015. I have had a Bangkok Bank account that receives my payment by Direct Deposit, since I am using the monthly income method. Due to financial situations beyond my control, I have had to temporarily have my SSA payment deposited in my credit union in the USA. I do not anticipate that I will need to continue this beyond the month of April. My extension renews in October. Should I go to Savannakhet and get an entirely new O visa based on marriage? Also, since Immigration has said they will "work with" expats having difficulties meeting the requirements, will five to six months of bank deposits suffice to get my extension? There is no way that I am going to be able to show a full year of deposits, so I may have to go the Visa Service route, if this is the requirement.

There is ot need to go out for a new non-o visa.

In October you will only need to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage instead of retirement.

Five or 6 months of transfers should be accepted by immigration.

• Thanks 2

Thanks, Joe. I am very skittish about any expectation of Thais bending their rules  under any circumstances. My wife-to-be has made it very clear that she will never live anyplace else but Thailand. If I can't stay here, then this poses a real problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Thanks, Joe. I am very skittish about any expectation of Thais bending their rules  under any circumstances. My wife-to-be has made it very clear that she will never live anyplace else but Thailand. If I can't stay here, then this poses a real problem.

I would apply for the extension 30-days early.  Bring the bank-letter plus a bank-statement stamped by the bank or a continually updated bank-book as your primary documents.  Also bring your SSA benefit letter and USA bank-statement showing the transfers you made to that USA account as backup-documents. 

If they refuse the extension, you can always get a Non-O-ME as a backup-plan.  Then, after you have 12-mo of foreign-transfers to show, you can apply for the 1-year extension again.  One can apply for the 1-year extension in the last 30-days of any of the entries from your Non-O-ME.

Be prepared for a small speed bump when presenting your marriage application. It's very doable with all the correct documents. But... much more paperwork for IO staff. You'll also get a home visit shortly after application. I've done it, just be a bit patient & smile a lot.

Good luck.

• Like 1

There is ot need to go out for a new non-o visa.
In October you will only need to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage instead of retirement.
Five or 6 months of transfers should be accepted by immigration.
Joe,
I have had visas based upon marriage for the past 10 or so years with ฿400,000 in the bank for min. two months.
Next time I wish to change this.
I'm assuming the equivilent of the 400,000 for min. two months (in my case 10,000GBP) in a FCD account will be acceptable.
Or alternatively, a monthly deposit (there would be 10 installments at Visa time) of ฿40,000 into a normal account will be acceptable.
Apologies if this has been covered before on this forum.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, meuok said:

I'm assuming the equivilent of the 400,000 for min. two months (in my case 10,000GBP) in a FCD account will be acceptable.

Most immigration offices will allow it to be in a foreign currency account but some offices will not accept them. Best to check with your local office about it.

5 minutes ago, meuok said:

Or alternatively, a monthly deposit (there would be 10 installments at Visa time) of ฿40,000 into a normal account will be acceptable.
Apologies if this has been covered before on this forum.

Transfering 40k baht into a Thai bank from outside the country will be accepted,

40 minutes ago, meuok said:

Out of interest, when they see a say ฿40,000 deposit hitting the passbook every month, do they actually ask to see the paperwork to prove that each deposit came from outside the country?

Yes they will ask for proof it came from abroad. Dependent upon your bank that could be shown in your bank book as code or a statement done by them.