Airport noise in the Nimman Area

CNX GUY

can anyone who lives in the Nimman area please tell me how noisy life is there.

being so close to an airport can be difficult if you are mostly in the home.

is the noise constant?

does it start very early?

does it go on all day and night?

or

do the flight paths mostly work in favor of people on the ground?

this is a good area for many reasons but the airport proximity worries me.

appreciate any experiences you can share; particularly those that sleep lightly.

41 minutes ago, CNX GUY said:

Would the same noise dynamics apply to the area around the convention center?

Really appreciate the feedback; big help!!

Different people have different ideas of what is noisy, why not go and spend the day sitting there in a cafe listening for the planes, then you can make your own decision ?

9 hours ago, SammyT said:

I live at Mae Hia end and don't find the noise too intrusive in that I think you just learn to block it out. Directly below the take-off path would probably be another story though.  

Not surprised you re not troubled since Mae Hia isnt on the flight path! ( I live there too by the way)

7 hours ago, EL159 said:

Not surprised you re not troubled since Mae Hia isnt on the flight path! ( I live there too by the way)

The map of Mae Hia I looked at shows the South end of the airport almost touching or touching it which would put MH on the flight path.  But of couse some of MH is not on the flight path because MH is not long and narrow.

Almost always the planes depart and fly over Nimman, then out towards Lanna golf course.  But landing they drop down over North Hill golf, 4th green. Planes always noisier when departing.

But rarely they go backwards and depart towards the south, and Mae Hia. 

Maximum noise on StarDome golf, next to airport.

15 hours ago, CNX GUY said:

Would the same noise dynamics apply to the area around the convention center?

Really appreciate the feedback; big help!!

Yes it usually does. Most flights depart from Runway 36 and fly straight out over the car park in front of the convention centre at around 3,000 feet and the noise is considerable if you are living in any of the condos in that area. I have noticed that departures are sometimes given a heading of a few degrees east after takeoff which spares the convention centre but the majority depart straight out. It would be nice if the controllers would share the noise by giving more easterly headings after takeoff and occasionally switching departures to Runway 18 when the wind is light.

Your first wake up call is just after 0600 with the AirAsia flight to HKG.

20 years ago there were few housing estates in the Nawamin area. I warned my friends not to buy the houses being built in the flight path but some ignored my advice. The airport opened in 2006 and now they want to complain about the noise.

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes Thailand is very well thought out and planned country.

Living near an airport anywhere in the world is noisy if your on the flight path. Just look at Heathrow, Gatwick, Baltimore, Washington for instance. 

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

20 years ago there were few housing estates in the Nawamin area. I warned my friends not to buy the houses being built in the flight path but some ignored my advice. The airport opened in 2006 and now they want to complain about the noise.

Huh?  According to Wikipedia the airport opened in 1921 as Suthep Airport.  

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Huh?  According to Wikipedia the airport opened in 1921 as Suthep Airport.  

Nancy, you really must stop posting facts on the forum.

You should know by no that not every poster likes to have their errors pointed out because they are too lazy to do a little research.

More than 5 years ago everything was beautiful and peaceful in Chiang Mai. 10 years ago I could enjoy my coffee at old peaceful WaWee backyard (it does not exist anymore)

But now:

Every flight (every 30 min) takes away many Chinese tourists, but more Chinese tourists already landed by quiet landing flights. 

“Never ending story”

Time to move ????

CM is not what it used to be. ????

HA!  There is no place 'what it used to be'. Population increases, global climate change, air tourist traffic to remote regions, more disposable income for millions of chinese eager to see the world etc means simply 'you cannot go back coz it ain't there any more'. 

Archived