British Labour leader Corbyn curves towards new EU referendum option

webfact

British Labour leader Corbyn curves towards new EU referendum option

By Kylie MacLellan

2019-01-22T071104Z_1_LYNXNPEF0L0AS_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-(1).jpg

Jeremy Corbyn, Leader of the Labour Party gives a speech days after he called a vote of no confidence in Prime Minister Theresa May's government, in Hastings, Britain, January 17, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - British opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn moved a step closer to paving the way for another referendum on European Union membership by trying to use parliament to grab control of Brexit from Prime Minister Theresa May.

With the clock ticking down to March 29, the date set in law for Brexit, the United Kingdom is in the deepest political crisis in half a century as it grapples with how, or even whether, to exit the European project it joined in 1973.

After May's Brexit divorce deal was rejected by 432-202 lawmakers last week, the biggest defeat in modern British history, some lawmakers are trying to take control of Brexit from May's weakened minority government.

May on Monday proposed tweaking her deal, a bid to win over rebel Conservative lawmakers and the Northern Irish party which props up her government, but Labour said May was in denial about the crushing defeat of her plans.

Labour put forward an amendment seeking to force the government to give parliament time to consider and vote on options to prevent a 'no deal' exit - a course May has repeatedly refused to rule out.

Among the options, Labour said, should be a permanent customs union with the EU and "a public vote on a deal" - both proposals that May has ruled out.

As the British parliament, which traces its roots through a 1,000 years of history, tries to avoid what most lawmakers think would be a disorderly Brexit without an approved deal, there is still no clear majority for an alternative option.

Lawmakers will debate and vote on the next steps on Jan. 29.

(Writing by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-22

This desperate excuse for a politician will say anything and do anything to try and get in power. Once again if this happens it shows he will go against his manifesto. He and the other loony lefties change their minds daily.  Obviously he has forgotten that 70% of leave voters were Labour voters.

I wouldn't vote for this clown if he was the only politician available. The sooner the Liebour party ditch him the better.

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

This desperate excuse for a politician will say anything and do anything to try and get in power. Once again if this happens it shows he will go against his manifesto. He and the other loony lefties change their minds daily.  Obviously he has forgotten that 70% of leave voters were Labour voters.

I wouldn't vote for this clown if he was the only politician available. the sooner the Liebour party ditch him the better.

Please don't state falsehoods implying they are facts

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-majority-conservative-and-labour-constituencies-vote-leave-eu-referendum/

6 minutes ago, Grouse said:

My apologies it wasn't meant to state falsehoods. It was a genuine error. Either way it is still a substantial amount of voters and I stand by the rest of the claim. Happy!

i assume that by pushing for another referendum then corbyn is hoping that the result would be not to leave the EU, but if it was to leave, where would the country be then. still in the same boat it is now. but all that remains of any mp's credibility would be gone. and if it was a not leave vote, then that,s a draw, do we then go for penalty shoot outs, or a flip of a coin, or paper scissors stone. and would that then have to be the best of three, where will all this sh*t end, the UK voted out, just get it done.

Politicians choose their words, make their judgements and act "accordingly".

Depending on the peoples......."sentiment".

Not last weeks or last months sentiment.

Certainly not that of over two and a half years ago.

Todays sentiment.

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

i assume that by pushing for another referendum then corbyn is hoping that the result would be not to leave the EU, but if it was to leave, where would the country be then. still in the same boat it is now. but all that remains of any mp's credibility would be gone. and if it was a not leave vote, then that,s a draw, do we then go for penalty shoot outs, or a flip of a coin, or paper scissors stone. and would that then have to be the best of three, where will all this sh*t end, the UK voted out, just get it done.

There can only be a 2nd referendum if Parliament votes for it.

There could only be a 3rd referendum........if Parliament votes for it.

Do you seriously think that Parliament would vote for 3rd one if the 2nd one says....."Remain"?

If so you really haven't been paying attention.

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

Do you seriously think that Parliament would vote for 3rd one if the 2nd one says....."Remain"?

If they so wish, yes.

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

Politicians choose their words, make their judgements and act "accordingly".

Depending on the peoples......."sentiment".

Not last weeks or last months sentiment.

Certainly not that of over two and a half years ago.

Todays sentiment.

Today trumps yesterday, but not on Planet Grumpy.

Brexit is a direct result of the internal strife within the Tory party, the referendum a Tory party idea, the failure to deliver on Brexit promises a Tory failure.

So let’s blame Corbyn why don’t we!

So it’s nothing to do with Corbyn the life long eurosceptic now voting for another that LAB hopes will be for Remain?
Nothing to do with both LAB & CON turncoat MPs voting against the consensus of their constituents?
Corbyn and his party masters (in or outside UK) must shoulder much of the blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, Loiner said:

So it’s nothing to do with Corbyn the life long eurosceptic now voting for another that LAB hopes will be for Remain?
Nothing to do with both LAB & CON turncoat MPs voting against the consensus of their constituents?
Corbyn and his party masters (in or outside UK) must shoulder much of the blame.

You mean the consensus of their constituents in 2016 or 2019?

The FT isn't hiding how it feels on the matter:

"Should parliament reach deadlock, the public should instead be asked whether they still want Brexit. They deserve a chance to weigh the realities of departing against remaining in the EU under Britain’s existing terms: outside the euro and passport-free Schengen zone, while enjoying the fruits of a single market it helped to devise. For the UK, this really is having its cake and eating it, unlike the sham vision peddled by the hardline Brexiters."

https://www.ft.com/content/e3f3fc60-1b3d-11e9-9e64-d150b3105d21

10 hours ago, Enoon said:

i never mentioned a 3rd referendum, i said a flip of a coin or the like, we never had a 2nd referendum way back in the 70's. a referendum is just that a referendum

1975: in

2016: out

It's a draw.  Now for the deciding vote.

I think that a second referendum, should it go ahead, would have three choices:

Remain.

Leave, with no remaining ties at all with the EU (hard exit)

Leave, but with a negotiated deal with the EU, delaying Brexit until this is achieved (soft exit)

(This would also have the effect of splitting the 'leave' vote, something the predominantly 'remain' parliament would be all for).

28 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

1975: in

2016: out

It's a draw.  Now for the deciding vote.

I think that a second referendum, should it go ahead, would have three choices:

Remain.

Leave, with no remaining ties at all with the EU (hard exit)

Leave, but with a negotiated deal with the EU, delaying Brexit until this is achieved (soft exit)

(This would also have the effect of splitting the 'leave' vote, something the predominantly 'remain' parliament would be all for).

Leave with deal

meaning what? the deal that parliament rejected

or a deal that may or may not surface at some time in the future?

not a very distinct choice

3 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Leave with deal

meaning what? the deal that parliament rejected

or a deal that may or may not surface at some time in the future?

not a very distinct choice

I think that's what the 'soft' Brexiters would have to sort out before any (hypothetical) second referendum is conducted. (And is something that really should have been done prior to the first). 

Theresa May also seems determined to get some sort of deal in order to avoid a hard Brexit, without really knowing what the wishes of the majority are on that point.  Most Brexiters on here appear to be arguing for a hard Brexit, so a format such as the one I suggested would give them the chance to tell whoever replaces her to stop dicking about and get on with leaving.

Id say let the Brits vote again now they see what it is all about and are far better informed then before. The 3 options would be good even if it is deceptive but only the most dumb of people would think a shining good agreement will come from it because they did not get it now and won't get it anytime soon. 

Now the people are far more informed than before so this would really reflect the will of the people without all the false promises that were made before.

12 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I think that's what the 'soft' Brexiters would have to sort out before any (hypothetical) second referendum is conducted. (And is something that really should have been done prior to the first). 

Theresa May also seems determined to get some sort of deal in order to avoid a hard Brexit, without really knowing what the wishes of the majority are on that point.  Most Brexiters on here appear to be arguing for a hard Brexit, so a format such as the one I suggested would give them the chance to tell whoever replaces her to stop dicking about and get on with leaving.

fair enough

but this requires some pretty speedy action on complicated matters,

not much sand left in the hourglass now

I am not at all convinced that PM/parliament is capable of handling this in a meaningful manner

very unfortunate for the UK that Tory didn't ditch her,

she has become a heavy burden and menace for the UK

vis a vis EU she is laughing stock and waste - no clout left

they can hardly be bothered to listen to her

if Tory had any sense their top management should work on her day and night

forcing her to give in and resign

then pick a PM who is not damaged vis a vis EU

which means JMR, bojo, raab, ddavies etc are out

if Tory had any sense their top management should work on her day and night
forcing her to give in and resign
then pick a PM who is not damaged vis a vis EU
which means JMR, bojo, raab, ddavies etc are out

Yes the time has almost run out. Theresa’s appeasement has wasted most of that time. While she is still there the EU negotiators have an easy job and will negotiate no further.

It should have been the responsibility of one of your above mentioned from June 2016 But there was a chance they could have arrived at a decent deal, so Davis was forced out and Theresa took personal control.

The Tory party should force her to resign somehow and put a committed Brexiteer in charge. While they are still in turmoil with their own Remain faction that’s almost impossible.

Parliament (as the cross party Remainer MPs now like to call themselves) don’t help the situation, allowing the EU to sit back as the clock ticks.
Looks like they have all screwed themselves out of any kind of deal, good bad or indifferent. All their current nonsense is far too late for the necessary legislative process and we’ll simply slip out No Deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived