Thai immigration to show leniency to foreigners applying for retirement & marriage extensions

Sounds reasonable, and seems like what they mentioned early on for the transition period of 2019? One assumes that monthly foreign transfers, exceeding the minimus, beginning in January 2019 and continuing through to the date of application, be it June, July. August, September, October, November or December will suffice? (No clue what happens for those applying Feb-May though, will 2 ~ 5 months be sufficient?

Now how many IO's understand the legal term "mutatis mutandis" remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Don't think so... The above letter update still says must present bank statements from Thai bank(s) showing the transfers....  The above memo isn't changing the prior order, just clarifying about 1st year enforcement.

That's how I see it too. I suggest people should check with their banks now to see how transfers are recieved. I just switched to bangkok bank because my other bank shiws domestic. 

I'm glad I checked before my next transfer for February. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, keithet said:

Unlike the official police report this statement doesn't mention that the funds have to be from a foreign source. Will they be lenient with that too? 

So here will come all the transfer wise people with their questions.  

One can expect the police order to be enforce next year.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

the back peddling has begun.

It was only a few months ago that there many TFV who were saying that the monthly income method was dead. Some even went as far as calling their embassy staff 'liars' when they broached this topic.

Many caustic comments were thrown at me when I came out in support of the embassy's statements.

They are the ones who are now doing the back peddling!

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I think the least we should without the negativity with the consideration is thank them for the break in 2019. It will help a lot of families and retirees. Direct deposits through the Thai Bank don't start instantly. Good luck to everyone in working out their individual situations. I thank Big Joke for the tire to change my direct deposits that will satisfy the new requirements.

1 hour ago, keithet said:

Unlike the official police report this statement doesn't mention that the funds have to be from a foreign source. Will they be lenient with that too? 

So here will come all the transfer wise people with their questions.  

Actually the Thai letter does specify that the transfers must come from overseas but that seems to have been lost in translation.  However, there is no requirement in the letter or the order that the transfers should be seen to be coming from a pension provider.  That seems to allow the flexibility to be paid into a foreign account and remit the necessary monthly amount from that account yourself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

imo  Obviously that's the result of people trying to scam the system . Most of hoops we have to leap through generated here and everywhere result from folks who think they're smarter than the rules/regs. As people get caught systems are tweaked. Essentially, people cause their own problems and unfortunately everyone has to pay for their idiocy. 

That is clearly the case.  Immigration must have seen all manner of scams designed to circumvent their rules.