Thai immigration to show leniency to foreigners applying for retirement & marriage extensions

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Sounds reasonable, and seems like what they mentioned early on for the transition period of 2019? One assumes that monthly foreign transfers, exceeding the minimus, beginning in January 2019 and continuing through to the date of application, be it June, July. August, September, October, November or December will suffice? (No clue what happens for those applying Feb-May though, will 2 ~ 5 months be sufficient?

Now how many IO's understand the legal term "mutatis mutandis" remains to be seen.

Standard ‘Mai bpen rai’ 

Edited by MadMuhammad

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Nothing stated for being a member of a Thai Family. Apparently Big J is either hearing the IO's complaints or is reading TV. 

As you see in the preamble, family members are mentioned as well as retirement.  In the original it is clearer that the leniency applies equally to those applying for extensions based on living with a Thai family member and using a monthly pension payment as evidence.  The order actually specifies that the income for family extensions can come from other family members overseas, since, of course, there is no requirement to be over 50.  My take, as in the case of pension income, is that you can probably remit it to yourself from overseas but we will have to see exactly how it is implemented. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

How do you say mutatis mutandis in Thai?

โดยอนุโลม

At least, according to Google Translate. Looking at my Thai-English dictionary that seems to more or less make sense with โดย meaning 'by' and อนุโลม meaning 'follow[ing] suit.'

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

41 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, 400k in a Thai bank is still good, assuming you meet all the other requirements for a marriage extension...  Though note, at least for BKK, there have also been some reports lately that CW is requiring people to keep the 400K balance in their accounts also during the 30-day under review period, and then show an updated bank book again on the 2nd visit back to obtain the stamp for marriage extensions.

Thanks for the clarification. I've no issue to keep 400k and dont remember they asking to bring book bank or bank letter during the stamp.

29 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I've no issue to keep 400k and dont remember they asking to bring book bank or bank letter during the stamp.

That supposedly is only at Chaengwattana Immigration in BKK, and was reported to be a recent change.

If you're dealing with some other office, it probably wouldn't impact you... But I didn't see you mention which office you were dealing with.

40 minutes ago, Arkady said:

The order actually specifies that the income for family extensions can come from other family members overseas,

Huh????  Where did that notion come from?  But I assume still having to be deposited into a Thai bank?

Don't recall seeing any mention of that idea (income from other family members) in any of the translations that have been posted here....

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

It was only a few months ago that there many TFV who were saying that the monthly income method was dead. Some even went as far as calling their embassy staff 'liars' when they broached this topic.

Many caustic comments were thrown at me when I came out in support of the embassy's statements.

They are the ones who are now doing the back peddling!

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

No one's back pedalling. Whichever way you want to spin it, twelve months of transfers into a Thai account (from 2020) is a far more onerous system than that which preceded it, where retirees were able to obtain an income letter based on just three months of UK bank statements, and limit bringing in actual living expenses to what they needed for living here.

I fail to see the relevance between my comment and your response. But I will answer it none the less.

What you're implying is that those who erstwhile have been abusing the embassy letters as a way of circumventing TI's fiscal requirements in order to obtain a visa extension will henceforth have to comply with those requirements.

Well, what a shame!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Well next January i will have 11 months of statements, but i could not change it over fast enough.  Hope that works, if not, well i guess i will see then.

February 2019 1st transfer on record January 2020 last transaction equals 12

• Like 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

imo  Obviously that's the result of people trying to scam the system . Most of hoops we have to leap through generated here and everywhere result from folks who think they're smarter than the rules/regs. As people get caught systems are tweaked. Essentially, people cause their own problems and unfortunately everyone has to pay for their idiocy. 

Nothing to do with scamming the system. The system is simple and cannot be scammed.

Please explain how you think differently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rott said:

Nothing to do with scamming the system. The system is simple and cannot be scammed.

Please explain how you think differently.

obviously Bangkok imm wanting to see the the bank balance before and after suggests that funds were deposited only to be withdrawn once the paperwork went in. Of course if the deposit remained in the possession of the extension applier and just went to a different account, then the point is moot. It's like the embassy bs, a misrepresentation of available funds.

That supposedly is only at Chaengwattana Immigration in BKK, and was reported to be a recent change.

If you're dealing with some other office, it probably wouldn't impact you... But I didn't see you mention which office you were dealing with.

Ah I forget this is Thailand! Every one dictates their own law and regulations :)

I will be doing it at CW. I need to waste 2 days of my life every year for this. Hope to see improvements this year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Ah I forget this is Thailand! Every one dictates their own law and regulations ????

I will be doing it at CW. I need to waste 2 days of my life every year for this. Hope to see improvements this year.

Post back if they at CW do or do not require you to show updated bank deposits again when you go back to pick up your final stamp....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except, Immigration rarely bothers to tell anyone when they change the rules or requirements or procedures in some details way... The only way anyone typically finds out is when they show up, and are told, "No," sorry, what you've been doing for the past 5 years isn't accepted any more and we have a different requirement now.

Very true, comm to us has been brutal. And they have a perfectly good platform for communication right here. I was pleased what rolled out with the Joke, they didn't have to do that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

if a person cannot show the 65,000 baht going into a bank account, this year how in gods name will they be able to show 65,000 next year. as some are on a fixed uk pension, of say 30,000  baht and are obviously retired. and have wives, children and property here, the mind boggles at some of their decisions, its the Embassies that have deserted these people

You still had to 'show' an average monthly income of 65k in order to get your Embassy letter, but did not have to bring it into Thailand.

If you are on a fixed UK Pension of 30k, you never did, and never will have enough to get your extension be it Marriage or Retirement.

• Like 2