Thai immigration to show leniency to foreigners applying for retirement & marriage extensions

But again, they are proceeding from a false assumption that showing 12 months of valid transfers is the ONLY way to prove income.  Yes that means and process was originally mentioned but nothing said that would be the only way, yet here they are now promulgating that as the only way.

7 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

3 months when you apply first time for extension....the following years only 2 months ...Correct?

It is 60 days for the first extension and then 3 months after that for a extension based upon retirement.

2 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Well it won't be the second possibility you mention, so it has to be the first.

I'm surprised he'd be factoring in the views of foreigners at all though, even at second-hand.

Totally agree. After all, despite the protestations of how many pequeninos they claim to support or barfines per annum they pay, on the whole, the impact on the Thai GDP from losing a few hundred impoversihed foreigners is pretty much less than bugger all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

the impact on the Thai GDP from losing a few hundred impoversihed foreigners is pretty much less than bugger all.

Correct. Sadly. Because it will encourage the present attitudes towards foreigners, the exceptionalism of Thais and the decline of GDP as a whole when people of all walks decide that Thailand just isn't worth the candle.

The attitude is famously toxic.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

But again, they are proceeding from a false assumption that showing 12 months of valid transfers is the ONLY way to prove income.  Yes that means and process was originally mentioned but nothing said that would be the only way, yet here they are now promulgating that as the only way.

It's maybe the only way in your case, but because you can't get an Embassy Letter, not because Thai Immigration doesn't provide another way. You should be happy that they added this option, otherwise you could have hade money-in-the bank as only option...

1 hour ago, finnishmen said:

hmm, must lookinmg what happen next year my visa, i can only send my pension salary ewery month 700€ about 23000 bht to my wife bank account, i no have own account no can open ewery bank want have work permit papers, im old pension no need work permit, i no make work newer again.

How did you manage last year?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 60 days for the first extension and then 3 months after that for a extension based upon retirement.

...but in case based on marriage .... it is 3 months for the first extension ....and then 2 months after that ...correct?

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

My question, looking at the slightly bigger picture, is how this will affect newly weds and people retiring to Thailand from the end of 2019 onward? Does this mean that they will have to wait for a year before they can be eligible to apply for an extension to achieve the history required for transfers using the income method?

That is covered in the amendment to the police order that was posted in another topic.

The example shown in it states only one transfer into the country is required.

This glamour-boy, Silly Joke, will go down in Thai-farang legend as the hot-shot who was so busy watching the back door for the overstayers that he totally missed the steady stream of expats leaving the country via the front door.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joebrown said:

My local Immigration office told me that when I renew my Marriage Extension in August they will want at least 2 months records of foreign transfers to a Thai bank, which is helpful.

What's more helpful is sharing the location of your local IO just in case a near neighbor is in the same wee boat.

18 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

No one's back pedalling. Whichever way you want to spin it, twelve months of transfers into a Thai account (from 2020) is a far more onerous system than that which preceded it, where retirees were able to obtain an income letter based on just three months of UK bank statements, and limit bringing in actual living expenses to what they needed for living here.

Not if you live a long way from Bangkok and the Embassy.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, bipper said:

What about the lump sum on deposit. What about having 800K or 400K on deposit for 3 months prior? Has that disappeared altogether?

No changes whatsoever. The rejigging of the drip-feed income provenance would suggest that the lump sum is the preferred method for both parties, easier to verify, less paperwork, etc..

16 hours ago, rott said:

Nothing to do with scamming the system. The system is simple and cannot be scammed.

Please explain how you think differently.

At one time, while the embassy letters were still being issued, I emailed the US Consulate in CM.  I asked what proof I had to provide them before they could issue the letter.  The response was that I didn't have to provide any.  How is that "cannot be scammed"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

I am in this case and until now I did transfers of 3 months income at the end of the 3 months so that I had to pay less bank fees....but will Immigration accept this in the future and do I need now to transfer money every month?

With the caveats as defined in the OP and being discussed herein, they MAY accept it from 2019 onwards but definitely not from 2020 onward.

Yes, you need to switch to a monthly top up as soon as possible to benefit from the 2019 leniency.

54 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And for the future, must be the sufficient transfer EVERY month, no averaging or skipping and then making up later. At least, that's the way the official order reads.

As he says.

22 minutes ago, robsamui said:

This glamour-boy, Silly Joke, will go down in Thai-farang legend as the hot-shot who was so busy watching the back door for the overstayers that he totally missed the steady stream of expats leaving the country via the front door.

...who struggled to get out through that front door due to the huge numbers of Indians and Chinese that were pouring in.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mercman24 said:

if a person cannot show the 65,000 baht going into a bank account, this year how in gods name will they be able to show 65,000 next year. as some are on a fixed uk pension, of say 30,000  baht and are obviously retired. and have wives, children and property here, the mind boggles at some of their decisions, its the Embassies that have deserted these people

If you don't actually have ฿ 65,000 each month to deposit, you are kind of screwed.  But the idea here is that some may have had it but didn't deposit as prescribed.  They are just giving those people the chance to sort it out and get the deposits coming. 

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Not in the 20th century it doesn't.

Change like this will be shouted over the internet and driven home by the masses IMO.

My U.K. pension goes directly into my BKK bank and sometimes the code is FTT but other times it is BTN. The same when I use Transferwise or Xendpay.

I will be using combination method (transferring the difference of income to 800k from another Thai bank for 3 months then back) will the bank letter accept the 2 different codes as they are both from U.K.?

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not back peddling, the change of pension/income verification letters given by embassies changed during the latter part of 2018. Thus not giving some a full 12 months notice.

Some people like me have now changed the method of payment of pension from their home countries due to these changes.

When I renew my retirement visa this July I will have accumulated 9 months of 65,000 baht to my Thai bank account, this is where the leniency will help during the first year.

It's ironic that the infamous 4 useless embassies dumped us with little warning and now the Thais are stepping in to help out. 

17 hours ago, mercman24 said:

its the Embassies that have deserted these people

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Either that, or embassies that were forced/prodded out of issuing income letters by Thai Immigration's demands for verification.  In truth, we may really never know just who was the moving party on that subject. 

But since Brits, Americans and Aussies are among the largest expat populations of westerners in Thailand, the absence of those income letters moving forward covers a very large segment of the expat population here.

From my observations, it appears to have been a joint-effort - from our embassies, to screw / move a portion of pensioners elsewhere - and by immigration, to extort any who can manage an agent-payment to hang-on.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Why can a similar service still exist in Colombia and Peru and not here. Americans that have been depending on these letters should rightfully be angry about this shoddy, damaging treatment by our own embassy.

It appears that our govt thinks we would be more "useful" expat-pawns if living in Columbia or Peru - vs Thailand.  UKers even get pension-increases in the PI - but not here.  Of course, the attitudes of immigration in those countries is also a big factor.

Govts generally tend to look on their populace as cattle to be herded (moved), bled (taxes), stampeded (war), and ultimately harvested (end of life care-costs clawing back total life-savings in the USA, and/or sub-standard pensions having the same net-drain effect).

As a foreigner in the country, one can expect to get even poorer treatment, unless viewed as an asset - which everyone paying their bills from foreign-sourced incomes in Thailand most certainly is.  But when insanity takes over - whether from corruption/greed or xenophobia - assets may be set on fire in a most illogical manner.  The only good news, is that immigration seems to be setting fire to expat-lives in an incremental fashion, providing most with some warning of the impending blaze.

28 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

At one time, while the embassy letters were still being issued, I emailed the US Consulate in CM.  I asked what proof I had to provide them before they could issue the letter.  The response was that I didn't have to provide any.  How is that "cannot be scammed"?

That WAS the system, you were not scamming it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1