Trat to Pattaya by public bus

sushi5734

I did it once, over ten years ago. It was necessary to change buses at Rayong. (Board Line 48 there.) I can not say whether this route is now served by bus, van or both. I believe there are  a few middle of the night departures, which are more likely to be  private buses.

I have now done some research.  I have found some info. eastbound, but can find nothing about westbound. Phetprasert Tours offers two eastbound departures daily from Pattaya, at 3:20 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. So, there are likely two daily departures westbound. These are long-haul buses, probably originating in Chiang Mai. Given that Trat must be the originating point for westbound service, buses probably leave there in the late afternoon or early evening, with the objective of arriving in Chiang Mai early the following morning.

Ask at/look around the Rayong bus station. The buses and associated signs and promotional material are two-tone yellow.

Phetprasert service no 638 from Trat to Mae Sot and Trat to Phitsanulok.

Stops at their Pattaya station/office on Sukhumvit Road.

Unfortunately their site timetable has the Mae Sot to Trat destinations and times on both Mae Sot-Trat and Trat-Mae Sot pages.

There is now only one through service each way Mae Sot/Trat so I would guess that the bus from Trat leaves at the same time as the one from Mae Sot: 17.30.

Trat-Phitsanulok leaves at 14.30

I have used the service to get to Chantaburi, thence to the border at Pong Nam Rong/Prum for visa run......to avoid using a mini-van.

You will need to consult their site for the location of station/office (Ticket counter) in Trat.

http://www.phetprasert.com/main.php

Thanks for the replies.  On a visit to Ko Kood a couple of years ago, we ended up hiring a private minibus to transfer to Ko Samed because there weren't any buses at that time of day, its was early afternoon I believe.  At least with your own van, you can ask the driver to slow down, whereas the scheduled minivans are ridiculously dangerous.  I'm surprised there isn't a more regular service to Bangkok at least, as the island is becoming more popular.  Whatever happens, there's always a way to get somewhere, it would just be nice to do it in relative safety and comfort.  

For the OP, and others who may eventually read this, let's not confuse apples and oranges here.

- From Bangkok (Ekamai) to Trat, and vice versa, service is quite straightforward.  There are several direct buses per day on the Bangkok - Chonburi - Klang - Rayong - Chantaburi - Trat route. There are several additional combinations, if you change buses at Rayong, or Chantaburi, or stay on Highway 3 all the way (via Satthahip).

- From Pattaya to Trat, or vice versa, the options narrow considerably. Almost all of the long-haul, direct buses use Highway 344. To my knowledge, there is no public transportation on Highway 331 to take you into, or close, to Pattaya. If using a long-haul bus from Bangkok - Trat, you need to get off in Chonburi (eastbound) or Rayong or Klang (westbound).

21 hours ago, Enoon said:

Phetprasert service no 638 from Trat to Mae Sot and Trat to Phitsanulok.

Stops at their Pattaya station/office on Sukhumvit Road.

Unfortunately their site timetable has the Mae Sot to Trat destinations and times on both Mae Sot-Trat and Trat-Mae Sot pages.

There is now only one through service each way Mae Sot/Trat so I would guess that the bus from Trat leaves at the same time as the one from Mae Sot: 17.30.

Trat-Phitsanulok leaves at 14.30

I have used the service to get to Chantaburi, thence to the border at Pong Nam Rong/Prum for visa run......to avoid using a mini-van.

You will need to consult their site for the location of station/office (Ticket counter) in Trat.

http://www.phetprasert.com/main.php

In addition to the Phet Prasert services, there appear to be services operated by Transport Co Ltd. More of 'em each day and at rather more civilised departure times than Phet Prasert. Also only take 3 hours compared to Phet Prasert's supposed "Express" service!

https://www.thailandee.com/en/transportation-thailand/bus/buses-from-pattaya-to-trat

Can't say that I blame the OP for wanting to give the manically-driven minivans I frequently witness thundering their way at top speed along Highway 3 in my neck of the woods a miss, though!

Archived