Concrete House Base

yosib157

When pouring the concrete base for a small, single story house, I'm considering making all the concrete vertical pillars an integral part of the floor setting them in approximately 60 cm holes not including the thickness of the floor. My idea is for extra strength and to leave a 60 cm walkway around the perimeter of the house for tiling on completion of the main building.

I have seen this done a few times in my Isaan travels over the years, but cannot remember where.

Has anyone successfully used this method, seen it used or can send me an actual picture link to pass on to the builders to avoid the inevitable misunderstandings. I've searched the web but must be using the wrong terminology as I can't find any links.

Thanks in advance. 

30 minutes ago, tifino said:

so the task will look something like this? and then you start pouring all at once...

Image result for integrated concrete pylon in slab

yes/no. I forgot to include that the concrete posts would be the ready made variety with a plinth on the bottom -- although the above would be an option. But I would like it all done in one pour.

The columns are always tied into the ground beam plinths with the reinforement.

Unless you get top notch professional western shutter joiners you dont have a prayer here.

I have never even seen them shuttering to a level, if you add into the mix your concept they will pour the concrete and not realise the shutters will be concreted in!

Tbh, the method here is quite adequate, anyconcrete break at the bottom will be protected by steel plus a 100mm concrete and plank floor.

You could if you wanted, simply take every column down with its own foundation, many houses built this way......infact the majority

Yosib157 make your walkway a meter wide, anything less is crazy.

You never know the day will maybe come when you are confined to a wheelchair, then you will wish you had made them a meter wide.

Dont say it will never happen , it happened to me, fortunately our pathways are a meter wide.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Yosib157 make your walkway a meter wide, anything less is crazy.

You never know the day will maybe come when you are confined to a wheelchair, then you will wish you had made them a meter wide.

Dont say it will never happen , it happened to me, fortunately our pathways are a meter wide.

Thanks for your input apart from the 'crazy' comment. Previously I calculated a metre wide but reduced it because I widened plans for the house. At 70 years old with 3 current illnesses which started changing/dictating my lifestyle around 20 months ago,  I appreciate your comments/predicament more than you can imagine and (if I use this system) will revert to my metre wide plan.

poured  my  floor  all  as  one,  the column steel embedded  in that  floor and down to a 1  metre pad, includes  free  child  labour.............i  dont think my hous e will be gong anywhere soon...dont forget to add waterproofer to the mix to  stop any rising  damp and make sure they have a vibrator  ooooooooooooerrrrrrrrrrrrr

IMAG1039.jpg

IMAG0987.jpg

IMAG1049.jpg

IMAG1060.jpg

IMAG0958.jpg

On 1/22/2019 at 7:35 PM, yosib157 said:

Thanks for your input apart from the 'crazy' comment. Previously I calculated a metre wide but reduced it because I widened plans for the house. At 70 years old with 3 current illnesses which started changing/dictating my lifestyle around 20 months ago,  I appreciate your comments/predicament more than you can imagine and (if I use this system) will revert to my metre wide plan.

and  tie  it  into the slab with steel  glued in.............unless you want it floating away from the house

20140320_135859.jpg

Archived