Immigration's New Toys

007 RED

Had to go to Nakhon Pathom immigration office today and I spotted these brand new BMWs parked under the covered area reserved for staff vehicles. 

20190122_124601-iv.jpg.2d095785ce987d26690d4a5c321d9b44.jpg

As you can see they have consecutive police number plates and from the side it became obvious that they were immigration vehicles - the immigration badge just behind the front wheel arch.

20190122_124515-iv.jpg.a08527470b9eb52d4fb967af622f603f.jpg

But what really caught my eye was what was mounted on the roof behind the emergency light bar.

20190122_124532-iv.jpg.7a61510b07cf9e416adc8af11cd59756.jpg

I asked one of the IOs about the vehicles and what was mounted on top of them.  He smiled, but declined to make any comment.

As I left I took a another look and it is definitely a CCTV camera which has appears to have pan/tilt/zoom facility plus built-in infrared lights for night time vision.  It wasn’t possible to see inside the vehicle because of the very dark tinted windows, so I was unable to see what the camera might be connected to.

So, anyone like to guess what these are for?

58 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Yeah last time i was at immigration up here i noticed they had three of them. They seemed to be pretty happy about it. 

Well a bit better than a Yaris, misappropriated Thai gov funds I would think.

1 hour ago, jimmyyy said:

Yeah last time i was at immigration up here i noticed they had three of them. They seemed to be pretty happy about it. 

Indeed many images found on the net of these BMWs with the "thing" at misc. immigration offices.

Just that I could not find anything about the "thing".