Bangkok Bank

I don't.. but 'Trial and error' seems to be the go to approach as it may often depend on which clerk you end up dealing with... 

Alternatively, others have alluded to some success using a legal office to assist in opening a Bank Account when they are in Thailand without a Work Permit (i.e. Siam Legal) - Maybe someone has first hand experience of using a legal office for opening a bank account in Thailand.

• Like 2

Hi, does anyone know of a Bangkok Bank branch in Bangkok that will let you open an account with a retirement visa?
Tried it last year at silom:

"No have work permit mister, can not"

Go to UOB in Silom Complex. Was there last week and just because i was interested asked if account opening is possible with tourist Visa and they confirmed to me

"Yes, it is!"

Just need some proove of adress in thailand (e.g. rental agreement).

• Like 2

They shud all do it, particularly in Bkk. Im up in the boonies and the trouble is getting a peanut at the counter who is ignorant and too proud to ask someone else. I have all but given Bangkok bank away. SCB much more progressive and eady to deal with. Bangkok bank is the same as the banks back home were 30 years ago...thinking you shud be bowing and scraping to them

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Silom or any place else now will not open an account on just retirement.

I have done a lot of foot work on this and do not go by the website info.

Work permit in Bangkok is required NOW along with other documents.

Also, what happened in the past is not now.

If you get out of BKK it is possible.

Pattaya is possible.

Or, go to an agent in Bangkok and they will be able to help you.

Edited by bkk6060

The obvious question is: Why is it so hard? It's as though they think you're going to want to borrow money from them, when actually they'll be getting to use our money more or less for free ... No rime or reason in it , as far as I can see.

Perhaps fear of the unknown is a factor (as in the 'No have' syndrome in shops.) So the basic technique is to go to branches close to where there are plenty of falangs LIVING (ie not tourists). And, as I am in the process of discovering here in Prasat Surin, easier said than done when you're out in the boondocks or woop woop or wop wops or the back of beyond or back of the black stump.

Edited by mfd101

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

They shud all do it, particularly in Bkk. Im up in the boonies and the trouble is getting a peanut at the counter who is ignorant and too proud to ask someone else. I have all but given Bangkok bank away. SCB much more progressive and eady to deal with. Bangkok bank is the same as the banks back home were 30 years ago...thinking you shud be bowing and scraping to them

I also live in the boonies in rural Khampaeng Phet.

I opened an account in my name only last Thursday using my passport (with a retirement extension), my yellow house book and my Thai drivers licence. This was at the BKK Bank branch at BigC in KPP.

It took about 1 1/2 hours as my Thai is not too good as I am partly deaf and more tone deaf.

I had to sign about 20 pieces of paper and pay 1,000 thb, 600 thb of which stayed in my new account.

I got a debit card and internet banking.

I found that once both the counter lady and myself had spoken to the call centre where I explained what I needed it went very smoothly.

They certainly didn't think that either of us should be bowing and scraping to each other.

4 hours ago, wozza said:

I opened an account at Bangkok Bank on a Tourist Visa and 1000 Baht last year in Buriram oh and the wife was there which may be a factor.

My wife was not there.

2 hours ago, riclag said:

In regards to Bkk BK ,It's been my experience that  you need a Thai to vouch for you ! Guarantor 

Not in my experience of last week.

52 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

BBL EmQuartier, BBL Season Square, BBL Paradise Park all will do it if you have the documents per their web site. Always helps to a letter from a well established Thai or official. 

I had no letter from anyone.

Perhaps the lady cashier thought I was a nice guy and also a hansum man.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

I opened an account at Silom about 2 weeks ago with a retirement extension. Used documents as per their website. No work permit or Thai chum or whatever. Just need a reference letter either from your embassy or one of the sources they give as examples. I used my income affidavit that I still haven't used yet.

Posted using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mon 21 Jan I opened a acount at the main branch no problems. Im on exstension of stay based on marriage. They wanted first work permit, I said don't have. Then said embassy letter, I said don't have. 

So I showed what I have 1 year exstension based on marriage. Lease to show address. I even showed my tm30 to show address is registered with imagration. They were not interested in my ssa papers just looked. Now they were interested in my mareage docs. Korro 2 and 3. He said his manager said to check valad address, vallad 1 year exstension (which I only had 30 days left) and why or reason if staying in Thailand. 

Very helpful people at the main branch. 

• Like 1