Best Visa for a married 33 year old UK national looking to live and possibly work in Thailand

Morning,

We are just setting out on our path to hopefully move to Thailand full time this year. So to start with i am just trying to get as much information as possible given the number of different visa options, which are leaving me confused as to the best option for us.

My background is a UK national currently in the UK, been travel to Thailand over 10 years and have many number of visa on arrival stamps. My with is a Thai national and we have been married for 8 years. She is also a UK national and holds a UK passport, having been through the whole UK visa process with out professional help (Thai visa forum aside ???? )we are hoping to do this same for me.

Over the last few years we have been building a resort is Ubon which is now nearly fully open. This has been making a good income (profit) which would allow us to live a average lifestyle. My wife has also been offered a job at university and we intend to rent out our house in the UK. 
But i would also like the option to work in Thailand should i need to, so a visa that allows a wok permit would be ideal. Is the idea of using the resort as a resisted business a possibility to do this?

Given that i dont have a pension income (I am 34) but we do have savings that which would be able to place in a bank account in Thailand.

So in effect i am looking for ideas the best way to proceed. I have been told that there is a so called marriage visa which might be an option?

Thanks for taking the time to read, if you have any questions please let me know.

Cheers

You could get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai before leaving the UK at the embassy in London or one of the consulates. The visa allows a 90 day entry that extended for one year based upon marriage at immigration. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage. The income from working can be used to meet the 40k baht income for the extension.

• Thanks 1

Your best option to start with would be a non immigrant 0 from uk.

I would go for a multi entry 1 year that will last long enough for you to get your head around all the rules and regs for working here. Means going out of Thailand every 90 days ( day trip )

You can get a wp on the

multi O. Don't believe those who say you can't, including Immigration.

A year would give you time to get 400,000 easily in the bank to apply for the extension to stay with your wife.

Don't expect to get a wp without a lot of paperwork and employed Thais.

Keep as much cash as you can in UK.

Edited by overherebc

49 minutes ago, rushdentillidie said:
So in effect i am looking for ideas the best way to proceed. I have been told that there is a so called marriage visa which might be an option?

It every straightforward. Get a Single Entry Non 'O' visa while in the UK; with a copies of your marriage certificate and wife Thai ID. Then once you're in Thailand you can extend your stay for 1 year based on being married to a Thai. You can renew that extension each year.

You don't need to provide any financials to get the (entry) visa, but you'll need 400K in a Thai bank or an income of at least 40K pm to get a 1 year extension of stay.

If you can't meet the financials for an extension of stay you could get a Multiple Entry Non 'O' visa and do border runs every 90/150 days.

Being married to a Thai, and having permission to stay from a non 'O' visa, allows you to apply for a work permit and work once it's issued. However, you'd need to be formally employed by the resort, or other business, to be able to get a work permit.

Edited by elviajero

Thanks for the replays guys,

It has given me lots to look at. With regards to having 40K per month, could this come from my wife income? or would it have to be mine. The reason i ask is that the job she has been offered at the Uni is 35,000THb a month. Or would income from the resort count (i.e this could just be deposited into a thai bank account) or would the bank ask questions as to where the money has come from?

The other option that we have would be to transfer the money (400K thb) from the UK and just leave it sat in the bank.

Thanks again

5 minutes ago, rushdentillidie said:

Thanks for the replays guys,

It has given me lots to look at. With regards to having 40K per month, could this come from my wife income? or would it have to be mine. The reason i ask is that the job she has been offered at the Uni is 35,000THb a month.

It must be your income. Your wife's income/financial standing is irrelevant.

Or would income from the resort count (i.e this could just be deposited into a thai bank account) or would the bank ask questions as to where the money has come from?

You cannot use the income fro the resort. You could use income paid to you by the resort as a formal work permit holding employee.

The other option that we have would be to transfer the money (400K thb) from the UK and just leave it sat in the bank.

Thanks again

The a minimum balance of 400K only has to be in the account for 2 months prior to applying for each annual extension. It can be used/spent during the other 10 months. And you could top it up from your wife income, or income from the resort.