Who lives in a Muslim area?

georgegeorgia

I was in Pattani many years ago for about a month.

The main rule was, and as far as I know still is: don't travel at night!

Busses will make sure they never arrive anywhere after dark.

When I was there everybody, including all the Muslims, were friendly. 

And everybody warned me: Don't go out at night!

I don't think we have any regular posters who live in the three southern states of Pattani, Yala or Narathiwat.

As with the US, the UK Government advisory is avoid travel in all three provinces plus  Southern Songkhla province (south of the A43 road). The times I have ventured south either down the coast a bit toward Pattani, there are some nice beaches and good food, or to some of the national parks, it's during day light hours. The locals always seem friendly and happy to see you. But neither I nor the wife fancy any extended tours of the south, and wouldn't want to stay after dark - not much night life anyway, at least not any you'd wish to witness.

We live in an area of Hat Yai with a large Muslim community, many being refugees from the south, and we all get along fine.

like Mercury, the planet, are good with good, bad with bad. When they are at Rome, they do there as they see done, puritans with puritans, papists with papists

When in Rome,  do as the Romans do

I've been down there many times and also reported on the incidents there for several media outlets. I never worry about my personal safety, or that of my family who accompany me.

In fact, there are far more threats to personal safety in a place like Phuket, and that has been statistically proven by the government.

In more than ten years of living and working in the South and Deep South, I have only  heard of a single instance of a foreigner getting killed, that was of a Chinese tourist. I forget the exact details of that case, but presume he was mistaken as a member of the target group.

As for the lack of nightlife (take note Stocky), the border town of Betong (Yala) has lots of it and also has a 60s James Bond feel that is hard to beat IMHO.

The city is so remote that it has only really had one major spate of insurgent attacks over the years. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get a full picture of the Deep South.

Other than that, there are little pockets of nightlife, but nothing like you might find in Hat Yai or the major tourist destinations further north.

cowboy town aka padang besar used to, years back, and considering being such a small town then, a great one for nightlife.

There was really only the two nightclubs that ran, bu there was plenty going on inside to keep one occupied!

used to drive up from Penang every 2nd weekend...

all under the premise of 'weekly type shopping' which really meant an almost sobering drive over to HatYai too!... 

pity it's not safe to venture... but there's that fantastic temple complex built into the cave WSW of town...

(pix in the temple around thailand photos thread) 

8 hours ago, phuketsub said:

As for the lack of nightlife (take note Stocky), the border town of Betong (Yala) has lots of it and also has a 60s James Bond feel that is hard to beat IMHO.

OK, excluding the border towns, Sungai Golok is pretty lively too though it's a few years since I was there last

I live in Narathiwat Town and don't ever feel unsafe. I heartily recommend the three deep southern provinces for the experienced traveller or longtime Thai expat. Just coming home from a trip to Chiang Rai it feels like being in a different country again.

16 hours ago, MarcelV said:

I live in Narathiwat Town and don't ever feel unsafe.

Glad to hear that, as it happens my daughter and granddaughter are going to Narathiwat at the weekend with a party of girls from where my daughter works; one of the Muslim girls is getting married.

• 1 month later...

Any recommendations against taking the Jungle route train on the East coast from Johor Bahru to Hat Yai which passes through this region? My understanding is violence can happen with that route but is rare. Thinking about taking that route in the not to distant future.

15 hours ago, atecom said:

Any recommendations against taking the Jungle route train on the East coast from Johor Bahru to Hat Yai which passes through this region? My understanding is violence can happen with that route but is rare. Thinking about taking that route in the not to distant future.

Don't worry about it and just enjoy the trip. If you enjoy a drink, it's byob and keep it low key on the train and you'll be fine.

Lots of Muslims in Ao Nang, Krabi.

I was looking at the fruit a street vendor was offering and a Muslim woman was having the vendor slice a mango for her.

"Give him a slice" the Muslim woman said in English to the vendor, pointing at me.

I was caught in a torrential rainstorm in Ao Nang and stepped under the awning of an open air restaurant.

The Muslim women invited me in to sit at a table during the storm.

Smiles by all including grandmother seated inside.

Never tried to sell me anything, never even put a menu on the table.

All my interactions with Muslims in Thailand and Malaysia have been fine.

Never lived in the south of Thailand though.

Archived