German man arrested for stealing passenger’s luggage at airport

snoop1130

German man arrested for stealing passenger’s luggage at airport

By The Nation

285a3b80f4e324bfe0ad9ddabe35ac55.jpeg

A 39-year-old German man, who is wanted in connection with the theft of a British tourist’s luggage from Suvarnabhumi Airport on December 13, has been arrested while trying to leave Thailand via a border checkpoint in Trat province.

The German suspect, Michael Joerg, was identified by CCTV footage as the person who took the man’s luggage from a conveyor belt for arriving passengers and then fled by taxi. 

The police later identified the suspect and secured a warrant for his arrest from Samut Prakan Court. 

After the suspect’s arrest on Saturday afternoon at the Ban Hat Lek border checkpoint, he was sent to the Suvarnabhumi Airport Police Station for questioning, during which he allegedly confessed to the theft and also told police he had done similar crimes at the airport several times before. 

He reportedly told police he would usually sell the stolen valuables, then leave the country via a border province before returning to steal in Thailand again. 

Police initially charged him with theft at an airport, which is punishable by a jail term of 1-5 years and/or a fine of Bt20,000 to Bt100,000.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362742

— The Nation 2019-01-22

I always have mixed feelings about the bag handling nowadays.

First come, first grab and no one checks the tags.

Of course I try to avoid valuable staff in checked baggage as good as possible.

A reason to push my way to the baggage carousel.

You know you've hit rock bottom when you have to resort to nicking people's luggage in a third world country. 

Let him wine and dine at the Bangkok Hilton for a few years, then send him packing back to Das Vaterlad. 

So many criminals here these days , he could have asked for welfare support in Germany . Instead no moral and stealing other persons belongings. It's as low as it gets.  

I really hope he will rot in jail for a few years. 

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A reason to push my way to the baggage carousel

you would not want to be pushing me on a bad day. i wouldn't take kindly to that.

Is this real? You can’t make any money selling people’s clothes. No one in their right mind puts Jewellery in checked baggage. You would be lucky to find a laptop in one of five checked bags, and you can only steal one or two at a time. Could he somehow tell who had checked in photographic equipment?

Do we really believe the “confession”? It is easier to see this as a case of switched bags gone very wrong due to Thai ineptitude, with one party then going to the police.

Police initially charged him with theft at an airport, which is punishable by a jail term of 1-5 years and/or a fine of Bt20,000 to Bt100,000.

Why they do not impose these punishments on the workers and airport personnel when they are caught red handed? I don't understand this at all. Moved to inactive posts or fired is not a punishment

33 minutes ago, mickymouse1 said:

How does he get in to the arrival area? Or he does it only when travelling????

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He reportedly told police he would usually sell the stolen valuables, then leave the country via a border province before returning to steal in Thailand again

I believe he leaves then flies back in.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I believe he leaves then flies back in.

Based on recent posts here on TV getting in and out and in again (on a Tourist visa ) are becoming increasingly difficult.

Am surprised he got past the immigration officer...let alone go off repeatedly stealing bags!!

4 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Do we really believe the “confession”? It is easier to see this as a case of switched bags gone very wrong due to Thai ineptitude, with one party then going to the police.

Border run every 30 days, leaving by land without luggage, returning via air. 

Border run every 30 days, leaving by land without luggage, returning via air. 
Hmm. Do we really know those facts? To know them, we would have to believe the confession.

1. How many times can you show up at BKK for a 30 day tourist visa is any one year?

2. Now that BJ has deported off all the cheeky Indians and Africans, who is going to fence the stolen belongings? Wink;)

3. Is Bangkok a hub for some pervy Japanese underground market, where Tourists from Tokyo pay a lot of money to unpack a woman's luggage and try things on?

I just don't know. But I am hoping some of you have opinions.

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Even west African countries employ a security person at the baggage exit. If your boarding pass doesnt match baggage tags when they check then solly no bags.

as i always travel with a wakeboard, he'd have a hell of a time making off with something the size of a golf bag, and would need to sell it to a very specialized market where it could be easily recognized, if no wakeboard, i dont need more than carry on.

14 hours ago, thedemon said:

Ah yes, the old "theft at an airport" charge. A lot more serious than a simple theft at a train station.

He was kind of lucky that he did it at day time or he would have been charged with "theft at an airport at night"

5 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

How does he get in to the arrival area? Or he does it only when travelling????

if Travelling then that is where his plan began unravelling

- due to available multi pictured focus on his ID Match, and Patterns (of travel and attack)

4 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

What type of visa does this guy use?

other peoples' Image result for visa logo depends on the cache inside...

2. and considering that he claims to have already dispensed of his takings - doesn't that automatically mean a 10 Year Sentence?

40 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Even west African countries employ a security person at the baggage exit. If your boarding pass doesnt match baggage tags when they check then solly no bags.

I cannot remeber ever having my luggage checked against my boardingpass/ticket on leaving the baggage exit at an airport, BKK, LHR, HKT...never.

8 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Is this real? You can’t make any money selling people’s clothes. No one in their right mind puts Jewellery in checked baggage. You would be lucky to find a laptop in one of five checked bags, and you can only steal one or two at a time. Could he somehow tell who had checked in photographic equipment?

I read somewhere that airport thieves targeted those branded luxury luggage bags which to them has higher valuables than those backpackers duffel bags. So I try as much as possible to use  my luggage bags until they looked tired and worn out. Only replace them when broken. 

I also use transparent cellophane tape as a luggage belt which I gather looked rather unappetizing to potential thieves. But my missus got pissed off with me whenever I dragged my cellophane taped luggage alongside hers. ????

9 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And what valuables does the average traveler put in their luggage? Perhaps a shaving machine????? What a pathetic man.

I Usually only check my bag coming in to the USA and make sure that my jockeys are extra unwashed in case customs want to rummage

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I cannot remeber ever having my luggage checked against my boardingpass/ticket on leaving the baggage exit at an airport, BKK, LHR, HKT...never.

Same me , never been checked but it is sometimes a stressful event trying to claim your luggage from a crowded carousel . I use older hard cased luggage with a piece of coloured string tied to the handle , plus a sticker that will be easy to spot so as to avoid misidentifying  my luggage .  One other thing is that I have often been one of the first to the carousel and my luggage is one of the last to come through , which starts some concern . I would think a thief would target smart / expensive luggage and maybe ones that have been bubble wrapped for a reason .

Archived