Worth driving myself for a border run rather than use an agency?

Hi everyone, so I need to do a border run to get another 30 day stamp and I have access to a car. I was wondering if it would be worth driving myself to the border rather than pay an agency for the organised trip from On Nut? Would I stand to save any money after paying for fuel etc?

Thanks!

No sure what border your thinking of. For me from On Nut, I would take cheap flight to anywhere and back. If you wishing to have night out of bkk you could fly joints like udon or whatever suits your taste. Out of interest, which is best/closest border from bkk using car?

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

To Phu Nam Ron (Kanchanaburi province) it's about 200 km oneway.

400 km back and forth, average car needs about 30 liters of fuel, roughly 800 Baht fuel cost.

Handling at Phu  Nam Ron about 900 Baht?

I was thinking kanchanaburi. Got a taxi once from pattaya to there. Surprisingly seem good drive and very nice place. 

• Like 1

I want to go to Thailand but i'm not sure how long i would like to stay. I'm certain it's going to be more than 30 days. What would be the most viable method to stay for over 30 days without a visa, if i'm staying in or near Khon Kaen/Bangkok?

1. The problem with Visa single entry is that i need to show a return ticket. I don't know how long i want to stay so i don't want to buy a return ticket just yet. 

2. Visa multiple entry requires at least €6000 to be on my bank account.

3. For both i need to show a recent paycheck. 

5. For both i need to show in which hotel i'm staying but i would only know where to stay for the first 7 days.. i don't like to be stuck in a place if i don't know i'll like it.

I'm a student with now 3 months free time. I went to Thailand last year and loved it. I saved enough money but i can't show a recent paycheck or that i have €6000 in my bank account.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No sure what border your thinking of. For me from On Nut, I would take cheap flight to anywhere and back. If you wishing to have night out of bkk you could fly joints like udon or whatever suits your taste. Out of interest, which is best/closest border from bkk using car?

A number of years ago I remember taking a flight down to Singapore... I think there was a timely promotion, return flight with Thai Airways to Singapore for about THB 4000....  I drove to the airport, flew down to Singapore, exited via Immigration, re-entered via Immigration and returned on the same flight with the same crew... 

It seemed much less hassle than driving myself to the border... 

13 minutes ago, Senseo said:

I want to go to Thailand but i'm not sure how long i would like to stay. I'm certain it's going to be more than 30 days. What would be the most viable method to stay for over 30 days without a visa, if i'm staying in or near Khon Kaen/Bangkok?

1. The problem with Visa single entry is that i need to show a return ticket. I don't know how long i want to stay so i don't want to buy a return ticket just yet. 

5. For both i need to show in which hotel i'm staying but i would only know where to stay for the first 7 days.. i don't like to be stuck in a place if i don't know i'll like it.

I'm a student with now 3 months free time. I went to Thailand last year and loved it. I saved enough money but i can't show a recent paycheck or that i have €6000 in my bank account.

You mention euro. Guessing you can obtain visa exempt 30 to Thailand. Keep in mind that this can be extended by 30 day. Since your in KK you could bounce to non khai border and obtain another visa exempt. You have many options

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A number of years ago I remember taking a flight down to Singapore... I think there was a timely promotion, return flight with Thai Airways to Singapore for about THB 4000....  I drove to the airport, flew down to Singapore, exited via Immigration, re-entered via Immigration and returned on the same flight with the same crew... 

It seemed much less hassle than driving myself to the border... 

True. I fly every month to Saigon. AirAsia return often 1800baht return. Make a weekend of it. 500ml Saigon green 20baht. Airport bus direct district 1 = 1usd.

13 minutes ago, Senseo said:

I think the issue you may have is that you could be asked for a return ticket upon entry to Thailand and if you cannot show one (+20,000 baht cash or currency equivalent) its possible you may be refused entry (unlikely for a first timer, but possible).

Options: Assuming you are from a country which permits you to enter on Visa Exemption Stamp on arrival and have no other previous stays / visas for Thailand.

Fly in to BKK...  Stay 30 days... Do a Visa Run Via Mukhdahan (you may still be expected to show proof of onward travel out of the Kingdom and 20k baht in cash)

The most reliable options: Obtain a Tourist Visa

Chose a ticket on which you can change the return date (or for a small fee).

OR, purchase a fully refundable return ticket and as soon as you arrive, refund the return ticket & buy your one way Ticket home when you require it. 

For hotel bookings and proof - there are a number of websites which offer fully refundable bookings...  thus, you can book a hotel... apply for your Visa... then cancel the booking charge free (i.e. booking.com)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You mention euro. Guessing you can obtain visa exempt 30 to Thailand. Keep in mind that this can be extended by 30 day. Since your in KK you could bounce to non khai border and obtain another visa exempt. You have many options

Indeed, i get visa exempt for 30 days. Any idea how this can be extended? And can it only get extended once? 

I have read that Thailand limits visa exempt entries at land border to two per calendar year. Does that mean i can gain endless visa exempt entry's by air as long as i have a valid passport? 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think the issue you may have is that you could be asked for a return ticket upon entry to Thailand and if you cannot show one (+20,000 baht cash or currency equivalent) its possible you may be refused entry (unlikely for a first timer, but possible).

Options: Assuming you are from a country which permits you to enter on Visa Exemption Stamp on arrival and have no other previous stays / visas for Thailand.

Fly in to BKK...  Stay 30 days... Do a Visa Run Via Mukhdahan (you may still be expected to show proof of onward travel out of the Kingdom and 20k baht in cash)

The most reliable options: Obtain a Tourist Visa

Chose a ticket on which you can change the return date (or for a small fee).

OR, purchase a fully refundable return ticket and as soon as you arrive, refund the return ticket & buy your one way Ticket home when you require it. 

For hotel bookings and proof - there are a number of websites which offer fully refundable bookings...  thus, you can book a hotel... apply for your Visa... then cancel the booking charge free (i.e. booking.com)

I bought a one way ticket to Thailand last year and wasn't refused entry. 

The reliable options sounds worthwhile except there is still one problem, i need to show a recent paycheck. 

And thanks guys ????

9 minutes ago, Senseo said:

I bought a one way ticket to Thailand last year and wasn't refused entry. 

The reliable options sounds worthwhile except there is still one problem, i need to show a recent paycheck. 

And thanks guys ????

Are you sure of the requirement to show a recent pay check for a Single Entry Tourist Visa?

Also please note: You can be asked to show proof of onward / return travel and proof of funds (20,000 baht - cash / currency equivalent)... there are reports on this forum of people being rejected for not having this. You may not be asked (like last year), or you may be asked and it could become a problem.... 

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you sure of the requirement to show a recent pay check for a Single Entry Tourist Visa?

Also please note: You can be asked to show proof of onward / return travel and proof of funds (20,000 baht - cash / currency equivalent)... there are reports on this forum of people being rejected for not having this. You may not be asked (like last year), or you may be asked and it could become a problem.... 

It is mentioned on the website of the Thai consulate of Belgium. I could show that i have 20.000 baht in my bank account by going through the bank application on my phone. If that's not valid, then i hope there is an exchange office near the border. I find it ridiculous tho. Maybe i should hire a beautiful rental car to pretend i've got lots of money. ????

Edited by Senseo

II just took to friends to kanchanaburi with the visa company from On Nut they paid 2000 Baht. At that border everybody has to use the border agents. It is 4. Kms across the border they provide transport.  Our van driver was great drove carefully and. Safely 

16 hours ago, Senseo said:

The outgoing ticket does not need to be a "return" ticket - it can be to anywhere.  A "throw away" ticket can be had to Kuala Lumpur or Penang for about 1000 Baht.

Are you sure you must show a "recent paycheck" for a Single Entry Tourist visa at the Thai consulate in your country?  This is not a common requirement - except for the METV. 

If they block a SETV w/o a paycheck where you live, come in Visa-Exempt, with a "throw away" ticket dated within 30-days (can be 30-days in the future for the SETV application also - so useful for both options), and 20K Baht in Cash or Travelers Checks to show (can not be plastic or bank-statement on your phone).  As you do not have a recent and/or longer-stay history in Thailand, you should not have a problem entering Visa Exempt with those met. 

If you only plan to stay 3 months, rather than extending your Visa-Exempt for 30-days, go out for a Tourist Visa from a nearby Thai Consulate - Vientiane, Laos would be a good choice for next-day service.  They don't require anything but your passport, 1000 Baht, and the application-form.  Return via Friendship Bridge, and you will get 60-days permitted-stay on entry.

If you decide you want to stay more than 3 months, then extend the Visa-Exempt entry, then do the Tourist Visa trip.

You can use a free online hotel-booking, which you can cancel later.  But I would keep it active until you enter the country, in case immigration asks where you will be staying.  Have a printout of the reservation, from which immigration can read the address (they must input this into their computer, and will be happy not to read the hand-written entry-form version).

Hope this helps you work-around those issues - good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 11:40 PM, DrJack54 said:

True. I fly every month to Saigon. AirAsia return often 1800baht return. Make a weekend of it. 500ml Saigon green 20baht. Airport bus direct district 1 = 1usd.

Bangkok to Saigon on AirAsia return for 1800 Thb? How is that as I looked early this morning and it was 3640 Thb with no checked baggage.

23 minutes ago, james.d said:

Bangkok to Saigon on AirAsia return for 1800 Thb? How is that as I looked early this morning and it was 3640 Thb with no checked baggage.

You can't just book it at that price on any given day. Wait until there's a promotion, then book suitable dates that the promotional offer is valid for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 9:48 PM, KhunBENQ said:

To Phu Nam Ron (Kanchanaburi province) it's about 200 km oneway.

400 km back and forth, average car needs about 30 liters of fuel, roughly 800 Baht fuel cost.

Handling at Phu  Nam Ron about 900 Baht?

It's 200km from western Bangkok (Dao Khanong), but perhaps 230-240km from On Nut, in which case Aranyaprathet is about equidistant and certainly much faster to reach, given the expressways leading out of Bangkok to the east and the horrible congestion that causes you to spend 3-4 hours just reaching Kanchanaburi city from Bangkok, let alone the border, which is 1 hour further west. Until the expressway linking Bangkok (Bang Yai) to Kanchanaburi is finished in about 2 years time, I'd rather suggest a visa run to Cambodia but Phu Nam Rom is fine if you don't mind the traffic congestion on the way.