Visa Run or Border Run?

Hello, I've been traveling around Thailand and SE Asia casually, and I've run into my first visa complication. I thought I was clear till early March, but it turns out, I'm only stamped till February 5th. I just paid for an apartment in Chiang Mai till the end of February.

I'm a US citizen and have always entered visa exempt. I last entered early December, and this was my first time extending. I'm debating whether it's better to do a border run and hope for another exemption or go to Laos for a proper tourist visa. The catch is that I have a good number of stamps over the past thirteen months. (I was dating someone in phuket, and went in and out of the country a fair bit - four times before I entered in December.) The duration of my stay isn't important, I'm more concerned about likelihood of success. Visa Run or Border run? Thanks!

A border run is the easiest option, but has a higher chance of being questioned or denied entry.

Whenever possible it is best to enter using a visa. Especially with a long history of recent tourism, or back to back entries.

If you plan to spend time in Thailand, avoid using Visa Exempts except in cases where a trip for a Tourist Visa doesn't work out (you don't get the Visa), and use the Visa-Exempt as backup.  And, given your longer-stay/frequent history, best to stick to safe land-borders for entry in all cases.

• Like 1

Mae Sai doesn't deny VOA if you have less than 2 in calendar year.

It shows up on their system, so since it's the beginning of the year you'll be fine.

Just take a return Green bus from Arcade station to Mae Sai.