Rotten carrots Big C Extra

balo

I don't know about you guys but some days I like to drink a few glasses of carrot juice and I have a juicer at home so I buy a few kilos of carrots. And normally I buy them at Big C here in Pattaya.  Why Big C ? Because the quality is maybe better than outside in the markets , because of the heat and humidity.  You would think. 

This place that I go to is very popular among foreigners here in Pattaya , Big C Extra.  So what did I find ? Plenty of carrots but most of them were rotten ! That's right, rotten carrots.  I just took a couple of pictures as evidence and walked out.

Sure this is Thailand and all that so don't expect quality, and the carrots are from China, still I was shocked to see that they actually offer them for sale!!  28 baht per kilo , cheap , you want to get food poisoned go ahead! :bah:

302341974_2019-01-2219_14_27.thumb.jpg.1c795bd11ab7da09cfa786051c3734e5.jpg

1217377213_2019-01-2219_14_40.thumb.jpg.79a09469bdfb27be46b26f2c1ef03d29.jpg 

Edited by balo

Sometimes when my neighbor isn't home I roll around in her garden pretending to be a carrot. ????

I am not for sale though...I apologize, so afraid someone will cut my rotten parts...????️:w00t::w00t:

Gets coat

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

So 1 Carrot in about 20+ has a blemish, just toss it aside.

Not 1 in 20 , look I go there weekly , I know how they can look when they are tempting , this time it was really bad , carrots cut in half , they would never have been offered for sale in a western supermarket, 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, fruitman said:

Go to Foodland, Australian carrots for the same price

28 baht per kilo?  you're joking right ? More like 28 baht for 1 carrot. 

Food poisoning from a blemished carrot, right.

Depending on the year, my carrots back home would have varying degrees of blemishes, from near perfect one year to deformed and stunted the next. I suppose if you do insist on having everything packed under sterile, chemically treated plastic then the sight of a blemished carrot would lead to a shock horror situation for some people. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Maybe they did not apply enough pesticide on the farm?

Maybe you were trying to be glib but you're actually right.  Pesticides cost money, and maybe carrots just aren't worth it.  Or these could be "organic" carrots, and thus the farmer is very limited in what tools he can use to control diseases.  Those black spots are carrot rot caused by a fungus that is present in the soil.

Copper sulfate is usually the choice for most organic farmers, but that accumulates in the soil since it's a heavy metal pesticide.  Lots of organic vineyards are giving up their organic status because of the deleterious effects of CuSO4French winemaker drops organic status for better treatments.

Most processors wash carrots in chlorinated water before packaging, but I'm not sure if fruits and veggies here get processed at all.  They might just get dumped from farm to truck to wholesaler to retailer to consumer without any cleaning or treatment at all.

Having said all that, I'd just cut off the black spots if I had no other option.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 5:26 AM, CharlieH said:

As you can select the carrots you want and leave what you dont, whats the problem ? So 1 Carrot in about 20+ has a blemish, just toss it aside.

Different if they were mostly bad or sold in packs where you had no selection.

Soi Carrot, ideal location for a Bunny Club.

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2019 at 5:26 AM, CharlieH said:

As you can select the carrots you want and leave what you dont, whats the problem ? So 1 Carrot in about 20+ has a blemish, just toss it aside.

Different if they were mostly bad or sold in packs where you had no selection.

But with the growths etc., on the carrots in the photos does this not indicate they are quite old?

And is it not true that fresh produce is more healthy for the human body.

The racks of fruit and veg and pack of meat in the fridge in the .... Exrs, near our house are mostly items which are well past the use by date. And most have old stickers from the parent supermarket. 

Less than ethical in my view.

8 hours ago, balo said:

Not 1 in 20 , look I go there weekly , I know how they can look when they are tempting , this time it was really bad , carrots cut in half , they would never have been offered for sale in a western supermarket, 

And that is why there is so much food waste in West. Mis-shapen, wrong colour, not long enough, too short.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, balo said:

28 baht per kilo?  you're joking right ? More like 28 baht for 1 carrot. 

No they also have chinese carrots there and they cost the same....20 baht for 2 or something like that...and the aussie ones are sweet, especially the core.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

But with the growths etc., on the carrots in the photos does this not indicate they are quite old?

Not necessarily, it could just mean they got rot-infected sooner in their growth. 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

And is it not true that fresh produce is more healthy for the human body.

The drop-off in nutritional value over time is somewhere between minimal and nonexistent if you keep them refrigerated.  Most root veggies keep their nutrients fairly well if kept cool and moist.  Leafy veggies are more delicate and can lose certain nutrients fast.  Spinach loses about half its folate after a week.  But the leafy veggies wilt quickly and this is a turn-off for most people.  If something is still firm and crunchy, it's probably still got most of its nutrients.

Vitamin C, thiamine and folic acid are most unstable and break down when exposed to air, heat and light.  Proteins & carbs are relatively stable.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 9:57 AM, attrayant said:

Maybe you were trying to be glib but you're actually right.  Pesticides cost money, and maybe carrots just aren't worth it.  Or these could be "organic" carrots, and thus the farmer is very limited in what tools he can use to control diseases.  Those black spots are carrot rot caused by a fungus that is present in the soil.

Copper sulfate is usually the choice for most organic farmers, but that accumulates in the soil since it's a heavy metal pesticide.  Lots of organic vineyards are giving up their organic status because of the deleterious effects of CuSO4French winemaker drops organic status for better treatments.

Most processors wash carrots in chlorinated water before packaging, but I'm not sure if fruits and veggies here get processed at all.  They might just get dumped from farm to truck to wholesaler to retailer to consumer without any cleaning or treatment at all.

Having said all that, I'd just cut off the black spots if I had no other option.

In the uk you could buy paper sacks of unwashed carrots in bulk. Mum used to buy them and we ate lots of carrots. Mind you, I think they were really meant for horses.

• Haha 1