Bangkok air hits ‘code red’ while authorities resist strong measures

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the PCD said, while attributing the pollution to the lack of rain and absence of strong winds.

How about attributing the pollution to the things that actually cause it -- agricultural burning, vehicle emissions, industry, power generation -- instead of blaming Mother Nature....  But nooooooo, it's so much better to blame nature than what Thai people and businesses are doing.

YEESH!!!!!!

1. They have a lead photo of a drone spraying "chemicals" over a park in BKK. But little explanation in the photo caption and no details in the article what the drone is actually doing.  What kind of chemicals sprayed in the air reduce PM2.5 "dust particles"?

2. The article included, again with no explanation or caption, an AQI graphic that doesn't even come from Thailand (it appears to come from the state of Utah in the U.S.) and actually shows an AQI scale that is accurate for the U.S. but is totally different than the AQI scale used in Thailand. Thailand doesn't use those same dividing points between yellow / orange / red etc....

PM2.5.jpg.f0664435bb301a760f31292bfe482d04.jpg

Not so bad out today in BKK thus far...

Similar to yesterday midday and afternoon, though it got bad again last night, before improving during the day today.

When conditions are changing day to night and such, the PCD's prior 24 hours average reporting is meaningless in terms of current conditions.  The current conditions are shown below.

1206927431_2019-01-2312_36_35.jpg.7eb27d123c2696d6622173c600321373.jpg

How about attributing the pollution to the things that actually cause it -- agricultural burning, vehicle emissions, industry, power generation -- instead of blaming Mother Nature....  But nooooooo, it's so much better to blame nature than what Thai people and businesses are doing.

Not enough time high season is now. Better tell the news the handful of drones flying above a park will fix it. We don't want the tourists getting restless

4 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Just had the police out again. My neighbours burn wood to make charcoal and the pm is almost always 200+. Local gov do nothing in fact basically told them they can do whatever they want even though its illegal. My wife just went and soaked there pot with water and the police came out. bkk air sounds like heaven! Police did nothing and my wife will keep doing it because by law you have a right to protect yourself. This pollution is killer and a gov that does nothing is a murderous one.

I would tell you wife not to interfere, as good chance she may turn up missing if she is interfering with the neighbors making money!! 

Trucks, lorries,buses,mini buses,pickups and motorcycles spew clouds of un-burnt fuel all the time and I've yet to see any vehicle being pulled over for doing so. Police check tax , licence and speeding offences and as the lorry pulls away the policeman, wearing a face mask, quickly turns the other way as he becomes engulfed in smoke. 

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this is god's judgement on the fornicators and blasphemers in Bangkok.

hell fire is next.

anyway, I am jumping on the bus to Bangkok tomorrow. I love it when the girls wear those masks and all you can see is their eyes. 

A lot might not be girls,but you’ll have reached the point of no return by the time you realise.... ???? 

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not so bad out today in BKK thus far...

Similar to yesterday midday and afternoon, though it got bad again last night, before improving during the day today.

When conditions are changing day to night and such, the PCD's prior 24 hours average reporting is meaningless in terms of current conditions.  The current conditions are shown below.

1206927431_2019-01-2312_36_35.jpg.7eb27d123c2696d6622173c600321373.jpg

Why are there no sensors on the east side of Bangkok I wonder..?

11 minutes ago, NightSky said:

For the past year I've been waking up with stinging eyes and sinuses full of crap..

I wondered what was causing it although now I know.

Time for change otherwise I'm planning an escape route... yay!

Stop watching the PMs TV chat !!

39 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Can anybody recommend suitable masks I can buy for my family in BKK whilst I'm away? Preferably online ????

You want a respirator mask, often made by 3M, that has the N95 designation.

But right now, because of the smog siege, they're very hard to find and a lot of the normal outlets are sold out.

You could check Lazada and search for N95 mask, or try this Thai vendor:

https://www.3mdelivery.com/bestdeals

The typical drug store and hospital style paper pleated masks pretty much do nothing for the current air pollution problem.

9 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

All they have to do is check out how the smog problem was solved in Los Angeles and other cities and then copy them. They're pretty good at copying here. It should be easy.

But as LA is not in Thailand, the authorities probably know nothing about it.

Actually I don't think they are good at copying or learning from others - they would rather "re-invent the wheel" (Thai construction) and then wonder why it didn't work!

".... the authorities probably know nothing about it." is more to the point. The sensible people are usually not those in charge. ???? 

Yearlong exposure to these levels of PM 2.5 pollution amount to the same as 1 pack of cigarettes.
Well, I guess a lot of you got very healthy lifestyles to worry about this stuff......
Not sure what you are talking about.... Right now is roughly smoking 4 - 4.5 cigarettes a day, at an average of 90 - 100 micrograms a cubic meter. At 100, that is 1672 smokes a year. That is one large pack.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Jimbo1964 said:

It would also help if people stopped burning tyres when its dark. This was Bangna Trat KM 5.5 on Saturday night.

Screenshot_20190119-223230_Pico.jpg

May i ask how you get the PM2.5 reading? i thought the Thai authority claim that they do not have equipment for PM2.5 measurement?

Archived